What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

I want to ditch the reflector and go vertical...

hayday

Veteran
Right now I have 1,480h 2200c meanwell so its good for 480 watts.There's one more on the way and if every works out I'll most likely get a 3rd.
I'm at 360 watts now.

So... more to come:tiphat:

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Well, here we are 10 years after starting this thread doing the same ole thing,the same ole way. I have made some changes along my journey. In the begining I grew in funky shed in local organic soil with much success but times changed, had to move and got really noided out for a bit. I never left the site though,just changed my handle.

My growing tech has evolved from a single vert 400 to stacks of cmh-hps4's ,4's and 6's to where i have settled with two donuts with double stacked 400 hps bulbs

Also after the move, I couldn't keep using soil on account of no space. I live in an ant farm with people everywhere and eyes everywhere too so hydro, KISS and hempy buckets came into play.

As soon as the move happened I planned a space and squezzed all I could out of the very small back storage area.I got a 6'x 7'x8' high space for flower and a small veg spot to go with it.

Been running this way for about 5 years now and fairly well tuned.Window units and lots of carbon with two 6" fans for vents , more fans for circulation.

I have never concidered doing a flat grow hehehe :biggrin:

Heres my space,4 bulbs,16 plants on perpetual. Usually get 4 zips per but sometimes only 2. Plenty...

I would run your plants flat against the wall. You will not get the shading you get when the diameter of the circle shrinks in towards the lights. The only reason to grow in a circle is to prevent the light lose from a reflector.

It is much easier to train the plants when they are on a wall than in a circle. There is little pruning back as the plants shade each other growing towards the light. Just simply tie them back and you are done most of the time.

Your room is 6x7 which is plenty big enough to walk in the center and tend you plants. Here is my wall which is in a 5x7 room.

If you are using the sabres you could hang them similar to how I do and the light would all go towards the plants. Because the light all goes in one direction in a 120 degree angle you dont get any lose to a reflector. Here is mine.

zeke99

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Am intrigued!

I did some preliminary googling, but am not sure I'm finding the light you are using.

What is the saber?

I built my lights. The sabre is what Hayday was talking about from HLG. I may have misspelled the name also.

Mine is run at 195 watts each and can be run hotter to like 230 watts. I keep it lower so I dont need active cooling. And it has 450 301B diodes.

The saber 100 is 220 diodes and can be run up to 130 watts.

Here is mine again.

zeke99

IC, your innovations are impressive as always. Love that flat wall.

I found the saber on HLG's website, thanks! Got some investigating and thinking to do as I plan a new grow.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
IC, your innovations are impressive as always. Love that flat wall.

I found the saber on HLG's website, thanks! Got some investigating and thinking to do as I plan a new grow.

If you look at this picture you can see three different drivers. The middle and two ends are running at 195 watts. The second from the front is at 230 watts and the angled one that is the fourth is also at 195 watts. The fourth driver gives no real advantage over the other two.

I like the ones running at 195. They run a little cooler and can be run with out any real cooling. The one running at 230 still runs in specs for the diodes and driver but is running to close for me. 63 degrees celsius and 70 is the max. I can run it in this set up because I have a fan blowing back and forth on it. So that drops the temp about 10-11 degrees. Which puts it well with in specs.

So what you are looking at is about 1020 watts on a 5x7 wall.

But that is enough from me. I dont want to high jack Haydays thread so I will not post more so he doesnt have me posting all over his thread.

hayday

Veteran
Icky, you're welcome to post here all you want,you can even bring the small chick pole dancer if you want. :woohoo:

Next up in the room will some of Hammerheads seeds.I got two phenotypes out of a pack of Gg4xsour dubb. The sourdubb doesn't fit my room well.zero strech but still nice.Theres 3 in there now. The Glue leaner is a huge plant that was well recieved on the initial run. I got some clones rooting now along with my strawberry road kill.

More Sabers coming this week so Im going to remove all the hps when they get here. Im shooting for 2 ,4 bar light arrays,I have a few strechy plants that will go to the ceiling lol I'll get some pics up this weekend.

hayday

Veteran
I'm going to have to get some glasses to wear in the grow now. All these small lights hitting me from every direction make my eyes hurt. Seven Sabers, 4 on the left and 3 on the right seem to be enough. I will even it out with an 8th this week.

Temps are way down so for summer runs as thing are now, 5 degree swing from day to night.
Bonus is,if I feel the need I can add two H.P.S. back for warmth in the winter. Don't know if it will be nesseccary or not yet.

These modular Bars are very easy to set up. Thirty minutes and I had the array built.It took longer to wire the driver than to build the light.

Now to see how they perform. The right side has been up and running for two weeks and the left two days,some of the plant are finishing under these new strange light but I put a few straberries in there since I installed the first array. In two weeks those clones grew as normal and set nicely.

Anyway , time will tell how these things work. There is all the options in the realm of imaginatiom possible from here and with a 5 year lifespan, It can only get better.

_Room is lit:biggrin:
picture.php

.Y'all stick around and lets see what happens...

hayday

Veteran
These things are looking promising. I put the last Saber on the first one I built this morning. Heres a picture of it going together.
picture.php

A whole $6.00 for the frame lol. Wires come out of the back so I used the fittings for some structure by drilling holes in a 2" coulping evenly spaced. It works really well and I happy with the build. A few ty wraps and its good.
picture.php

The last all HPS plant is done and dried. It was average for my garden coming in at 3 oz dried. So I ll have two more plants come down in a week of the same cult that had three weeks with 360 watts led. Im curious how the will stack up. They look bigger ,time will
tell.

Stay tuned for some plant #s and bud pice

hayday

Veteran
Man these Sabers are perfect for me. I have light up and down the entire plant from top of the pots to the ceiling. My Road Kill Strawberry is a perfect plant for these bars. My pots are 22" off the ground for drain to waste ease and the ceiling is 8'.
picture.php

Theres golfballs all the way up. All the plants harvested so for are on par and I pretty sure this room is going to hit a gram a watt dry. I'm going to keep track of the first 14 plants out of the room for an estimate of one cycle since its a perpetual grow and shits always changing.
picture.php

Temps run 80,I can skip a day watering-feeding and I could not be happier with the performance of these lights. I'm even going to replace my MH and t-5s with two HGL quantum boards for the veg space.:good: