What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mycorrhizal Fungi

Rootstyle

I put that plant success directly in the root zone everytime I transfer anything. Works wonders if you dont let your medium dry out too much. Plants just get rockin!!

Well after the fact I had to clean with h202 under a tap to get of the brown jelly on my roots and did the bleach/start completely over thing, but saved my seedlings to avoid another three week delay in delivery from Gypsy. I bought some SubCulture and some Hydroguard, even though they have some of the same stuff I use them both at weak strength and lightened the strength of my res which is made up of reg. tap water, MaxiCrop Seaweed, Tetracycle Worm ferts (which will absolutely fry seedlings and I don't care what it says, make sure to delute it), the tiniest bit of molassess (less than half a teaspoon), and a few drops of SuperThrive which has never given me anything but joy.
The plants are responding and I think I have saved them. Long story short, we'll see but I'm going to keep posting my little story on different, though appropriate threads until I get my 50 posts and can actually read my Private messages!
Thanks for the thread, as I certainly got good ideas on which beneficials I want to move to next if these do not work, even though they look like they are absolutely working right now, especially the mychorizals.
The Afficianado

Cool! Great discussion.
Are there other notable "beneficial bacteria" discussions?
If you know of one, then perhaps a link to it, from here,
would be ok...

I'd especially like to hear more experiences of dry versus wet.
That is, products like Plant Success, SubCulture versus
special worm casting liquids or Organics Alive liquids or
Organics Alive mix.

BTW, someone told me to watch out for the brown (or dark) SubCulture indicating it's dead.

Peace,
Sat.

I haven't posted in almost a month, so let me update everyone. After I cleaned my resevoirs of my hydro and started over twice more, I gave up and switched back to a organic soil which has given me far more success. I managed only to save 3 seedlings-- now thriving plants-- due to the root rot and then the cleaning/transfer process, which broke the tap root on some of them. So out of a grand total of 11 seedlings I got three which is a 36.6% success rate on my worst grow ever. To be blunt I feel like a winner to have saved the plants I have.

In the mean time, I went out and bought a cubic foot of cow poo, a cubic of organic top soil, a cubic foot of organic miracle grow potting soil, some worm casings, and used approximately 7 pounds of cubensis substrate of pastuerized oat straw and innoculated rye and mixed it all up in a giant barrell with a handfull of horticultural lime. I mixed all of that with 8% perlite. I then Bubbled a liter of water innocultaed with SubCulture and Hydroguard for 24 hours with a half teaspoon of molasses and then in turn innoculated the organic composted mix. So the beneficial bugs could get to work.

I managed to lay my hands on some Mississipi Mud and some Orange Deisel and got those popped seedlings into the new organic mix. They basically jumped out of the dirt they are growing so fast.

If you have a good watering regimen and spend a lot of time with your plants, I think with a good organic mix with beneficials bugs can approximate the same growth rate as hydro without the headaches. Maybe some will say I am too stupid to dial in hydro, but I find that the easy success of organic soil hard to beat, especially if you have to leave for the holidays. I feel I can trust the plants to not have a major setback if I do a heavy watering before I take off.

In hydro, I was not happy with the beneficial bugs because i wasn't happy with anything. But I can definitely see the success in soil. My SubCulture is working for sure because you can see the microbes spread across the surface of the soil.

Thanks,
The Afficianado

InjectTruth

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=66483

This is a thread about Cheaper Beneficials with a lot of good info on brewing your own, even enzyme products.

FungiPerfecti.com offers the best myco products out there, and on oz is only $2 - 3 bucks. They have seed germ, vegetables, and soluble mycorhizae mixes. All species used are listed.

Also, I found at my local garden center, some stuff from the company Espoma, called Bio-tone. ****IN AWESOME! Packed with all types of beneficial bacteria, and fungi, all types are listed right on the bag. Completely organic, contains feather meal, rock phosphate, etc, and even has a viability timeline on the bag! Best part is that is $25 bucks for 25 lbs! If you were to brew your own beneficial tea in a 35 gallon res with a scoop of this, some molasses and a pump, this 25 pound bag would go unbelieavably far! When you get down to the last gallon or so, you dont even have to add more powder, just more molasses and water. A personal supply/light commercial grower could have a copious supply for several years off of one $25 investment.

Anyone who is familiar with mushroom cult., Paul Stamets, and liquid culture, will tell you, even if you are using AN, there are ways to get more bang for your buck.

I think I am absolutely part of the "Mushroom Cult"!!! Lol!! Great Info. And you can always reuse your old casings in your compost and potting containers...

Peace.
The Afficianado

Okays ive been looking 4 some fungi and seen some over at ANs website and other sites 2 but WHY in the hell is advanced nutrients Piranha cost a fortune compaired 2 others??

B00420

Just to refute what some have been saying in this thread....Mycorrhizae is just fine to use with chemical nutes.

You can go to http://www.mycorrhizae.com as posted earlier in this thread. Mike Amaranthus is actually the guy who discovered all of this shit and you can message him or the other guys working there and ask all the questions you want. You can also send root samples to them and for 20 bucks they will tell you how your cultures are doing. They did a big article in the newspaper about him last summer.

I personally use Oregonism. It's made by Aurora (Aqua Serene) and until recently was only available from Aqua Serene or Northern Light and Garden as far as I know. I hear they've gone national with it though.

The good thing about the Oregonism is they have 2 kinds. Oregonism and Oregonism XL.....the XL are basically strains that are very resistant to high phosphorus etc and are great for hydro. They would just keep culturing them and culturing them while exposing them to high levels and keeping the survivors, rinsing and repeating...

Very noticeable results in my aero system with GH nutes and a bunch of other supplements.

Sammet

Med grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Whats up fellow Mycorrhizal Fungi growers! Although I don't use Hydro, I use Mycorrhizae in my soil mix:

I've noticed an increase in the topics on Mycorrhizae so keep spreading the word everyone :D

This stuff will do the trick but keep in mind the growth stage and the nutrients you want to give your plant, mycorrhizal and bacteria aid in nutrient uptake and protect your plant by colonizing it first. It is then up to you to do the rest. if you want compare the product against the other myco and im sure you won't be dissapointed. This product comes straight from The Dr who was mentioned earlier in this post, if you follow the links on that thread you'll come to the myco prod on the rootfeed website.

Ps look into using humic and fulvic in addition, to feed the myco

Last edited:
Who doesn't love reading Jorge's Bible? However, I think he raises some serious questions. Like what is mushroom compost? Is it a stand alone potting soil that needs no extra ammenities cept for perlite and some normal feeding? Is this soil Mike?

Last edited:

InjectTruth

Mushroom compost is the spent substrate of a mushroom grow. I broke up a shroom casing and mixed it into my soil. Had little mushies growing in all the pots, and the roots blew up!

elevate

where is the best place to buy mycorhizzae in a large quantity. the size of one soil bag maybe... I only know of small grow shop with half gallon max...which is no good for me. anywhere convenient? I don't think OSH had it... but I could have missed it when I went.

enigmatik

Alright, picked up some Plant Success Soluble (premium mycorrhizae)

It'll be mixed in with GH Flora Nova(grow) and GH Diamond Nectar (and a couple drops of superthrive)

How much should be mixed in per gallon?

Wildlifer69

I've posted this question in another thread(no responses)

I have a bag of "Espoma: Bio-Tone Starter Plus " with Mycorrhizae & Beneficial Bacteria.
What I was wondering is ,could this be made into a "Tea" and watered into my growing medium?

If so ,how much should I use,and how long should I let it Steep ?

d4twamp

I believe in beneficial bacteria too.. I've tried the ORGANICS ALIVE and the ROOTS ORGANICS OREGONISM XL the plants grown w/ these trichoderma and endo/ecto mychorrizae bacterias were so much better than those without

D :bongsmi:

Last edited:

Deft

Get two birds stoned at once
Veteran
How does the PPM and feeding differ when using myco in DWC? I read one of the first posts that said to go easy on ppm because the nutes can kill the watery friends?

Is the total ppm any different than a mostly sterile grow?

sin-seed

I was using the Roots Organics Oregonizm, and the Oregonizm XL and definitely saw faster growth. And the plants would become rootbound in no time after transplanting. I am just setting back up, and will definitely be using some kind of mycorrhiza product with this grow too.