What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Philippine Landrace Thread

Hey guys i love landraces and i think Philippine landraces are an area of the world where we can find something new and good.

There are a few reasons why i think Philippine landraces are a good place to look for unique genetics

The fact that this is an island environment and isolated from other gene pools is one reason i think it is an interesting place to look for seeds along with the fact that there they are bred for hash making

With such strong drug laws in the philippines i think it is a good idea to preserve strains to prevent having them lost to time, it would be terrible to have such a large and important gene pool go missing like that

Does anyone know where to get any Philippine seeds or have any other info on the matter?

I am really interested in finding one like the purple jasmine smelling one with unique effects described in this old thread from the ace subsection as these aren't commercially available at this time

if anybody has these please send me a pm

Philippine Kalinga also possibly known as Violetta

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=49138

If you have any info or pictures on philippine landraces you can post them here thank you everybody lets make this a good thread

Last edited:

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
G `day BJ

Why do you say - the fact that there they are bred for hash making ?
I`ve seen buds from the Phils never seen or heard of Philippino hash but ?

Thanks for sharin

EB .

I don't have too much evidence but have seen a few pics of local philipino hash
aswell as reading locals and tourists advising to look for marijuana in the form of hash if visiting the country

i would never visit there personally with such harsh drug laws and would advise anyone who wants to go there do so at their own risk

if the growers are growing and selecting for hash i imagine their strains are of higher potency atleast for landrace genetics

i hope this helps

okay here's some pics none of them mine i will post sources

philippine kalinga from ace subsection much more pics and info can be found here

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=49138

10402Kalinga_1_detalle_cogollo_maduro.JPG

10402Kalinga_1_cogollo_maduro5.JPG

these purple ones if i am correct are also sometimes known as violetta and are the ones i am most interested in finding
they are rare and aren't being offered right now, if anyone has info or seeds of them please don't hesitate to contact me

anyway here is a pic of something different from pinterest with no description other than "sagada stalks"

picture.php

here is a pic of sagada hash from an article i found here is the link to the article

https://cannabis.net/blog/personal-story/epic-high-hash-in-the-mountains-of-sagada

picture.php

the man describes this marijuana as "definitely one of the best highs I’ve ever had in my life!"

J-Icky

Sorry this is off topic but the pic of the stalks just gave me a nostalgic feeling. In my youth, early-mid nineties, the weed I’d get would look just like that. The leaves were wider but it was a stalk like that, 9-12” with the buds coming off it just like in that pic and a top bud a little bigger than a golf ball, even lightly trimmed like that pic.

Takes me back, hydro wasn’t really around and if someone said they had it it was way out of our price range. We could get a stalk for $20, unknown weight, or $100 for a qrt of the dro. So I didn’t see real”hydro” until I was 18 as we didn’t even take the time to see the dro before we said no and went and got another stalk.

Wish I had saved the few seeds we’d get out of every stalk. That stuff was truly skunky and it’s smell taste and effects are something I haven’t experienced since.

I get the same feeling about pics like that, all the bags of medium grade marijuana with unique traits all of which i wish i'd saved seeds from so they could have been given the care they need to show their true potential, i guess it is this feeling that also drives me to not want to lose rare indigenous genetics ever again

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogtown View Post
Nice Seed Hunter, are you planning to collect seeds in philippines?
It wouldn't be difficult mate,north in the cordilleras is cannabis central,Cebu my nephew went to do graffiti with a Filipino crew,once again seeds aren't a problem,south in Mindanao Dutertes heartland I have contacts with farmers through the DENR.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=8448294&postcount=282

therevverend

Veteran
Cannabis in the Philippines has almost always been grown for ganja there's never been a lot of hashish production. The Filipinos I've smoked with love their buds but didn't have any knowledge of hashish. It's not a part of their cultural tradition. They were from the northern part, Luzon, things may be different in the southern Muslim part that has a very different cultural history.

That said there have been hashish makers in the Philippines since at least the 1970s and probably much earlier. I've heard of hashish exported to places like Japan and Hong Kong. Philippines isn't the sort of place conducive to hash making with it's warm temperatures, high humidity, and mild winters which is probably why ganja has always ruled. Similar to the rest of SE Asia.

The strains are related to SE Asian and Indian ganja strains. Filipinos haven't needed to grow hemp for fiber because there's a native plant called Abaca, Manila Hemp(unrelated to cannabis, in the banana family), that fills the role of hemp. No idea if the Spanish cultivated hemp there. Certainly there hasn't been breeding for hash strains although there's been hybridization with Western strains which would greatly boost resin production.

The amount of info on Filipino cannabis is limited. I wish I'd asked my Filipino friends to bring back seeds on one of their trips back to visit family. My friends would always bring a small amount of American green bud to smoke with their cousins. Commercial Manila street cannabis isn't good. The pictures Burro Johnson posted above look better then the stuff my friends were smoking in Manila. I'd still love to try out the seeds you never know if the strain is low quality or if it's the poor treatment before and after harvest.

Medfinder

Chemon 91
with drug laws so strict and prison conditions so bad it its very brave to keep the herb around those islands, looks like maybe some relative of thai in that strain pics.