What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

AG's difficult soil

Americangrower

Veteran
My extremely difficult mix
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Americangrower

Veteran
picture.php

picture.php

My bumper crop bag is 3cu ft

1 bag each of bumper and lobster
1 cu ft perlite

plastic beer cup each of
holytone
stonington
worm casting
Dom lime

done KISS

Americangrower

Veteran
I used to use Bar Harbor soil but then read whats in Coast of Maine Bumper crop.. at 1/2 the price

A blend of lobster shells, manure compost, worm castings, kelp, peat and aged bark. Inoculated with endo and ecto mycorrhizal fungi to improve root function. Everything your plants need in one bag!

G

I can buy the Bumper Crop locally in season. The Coast of Maine compost is harder to come by. I paid for shipping for a bag couple years ago. Its still in my soil Im using but its time for fresh.

Have you tried just skipping all the mixing and using just the C of M Stonington mix ?
I paid thru the nose for a bag shipped for a trial few months back and it worked very will for me. Im using my own soil at the moment but its going to get replaced by spring. Either using this mix your showing or just paying for the shipping for the Stonington depending on availability. I have spent more $$ on amendments and minerals than I care to think and if I can buy bagged stuff in a simple mix like this Im done with starting with peat, perlite, compost and making my own.

nickman

Veteran
I’ve heard some say that the stonington blend is very similar to fox farms ocean forest, it just cost around ten dollars more per bag... in my area anyway...!!!...

I haven’t tried it yet though.

Shit, it’s gotta be pricey to have bags of soil shipped ...!!!...

Americangrower

Veteran
I can buy the Bumper Crop locally in season. The Coast of Maine compost is harder to come by. I paid for shipping for a bag couple years ago. Its still in my soil Im using but its time for fresh.

Have you tried just skipping all the mixing and using just the C of M Stonington mix ?
I paid thru the nose for a bag shipped for a trial few months back and it worked very will for me. Im using my own soil at the moment but its going to get replaced by spring. Either using this mix your showing or just paying for the shipping for the Stonington depending on availability. I have spent more $$ on amendments and minerals than I care to think and if I can buy bagged stuff in a simple mix like this Im done with starting with peat, perlite, compost and making my own.

I don't know where you are but on COM website they have listings of farms and stores.
I was going to the Agway in Ri they didn't carry the bumper crop, but now have a local farm/nursery that sells it.

Americangrower

Veteran
I’ve heard some say that the stonington blend is very similar to fox farms ocean forest, it just cost around ten dollars more per bag... in my area anyway...!!!...

I haven’t tried it yet though.

Shit, it’s gotta be pricey to have bags of soil shipped ...!!!...

Never used the Stonington premix only Bar Harbor. But the soil quality is 10x that of Fox Farms.

G

I don't know where you are but on COM website they have listings of farms and stores.
I was going to the Agway in Ri they didn't carry the bumper crop, but now have a local farm/nursery that sells it.

I’m in the Midwest. Only one upscale type garden center carries bumper crop but the place is set to expand the C of M product lineup this spring. Not far from place I visit on a almost weekly basis. Next closest place is another 50 plus miles. I checked their list a couple years back and every spring I check again. This could be the end of me mixing soil. I have no complaints if I have to spend $20-25a bag for Stonington. I only need them two at a time. My last Elmer’s Glue seemed to do well in it.

album.php

Last edited:
Maybe I missed it but whats so difficult about this soil? Other than the exact quantities of amendments being a mystery it seems to me like a decent mix.

G

Maybe I missed it but whats so difficult about this soil? Other than the exact quantities of amendments being a mystery it seems to me like a decent mix.

Sorry for the drift about Stonington. This mix does look super easy and uses C of M ingredients. This is my plan B for next grow which will be close to spring when garden centers start getting soils in.

Americangrower

Veteran

LOL.. I guess you didn't get my fatuous pun. It's a simple mix unlike the others on here that call for dozen's on additives.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sweetdog - He did include exact amendment amounts. The volume measure he used was 1 solo cup. Perhaps you missed that post.

Where I live they don't sell any of these options. I'd have to drive 1.5 hours to even get fox farm of any kind, let alone the others. My best option is to make my own. That aside, my mix is certainly more difficult than this, in terms of sourcing amendments. I think the biggest advantage is knowing exactly what is in my soil in order to know exactly how to modify it.

AG - You don't recycle this mix do you? One and done?

dank.Frank

Americangrower

Veteran
Sweetdog - He did include exact amendment amounts. The volume measure he used was 1 solo cup. Perhaps you missed that post.

Where I live they don't sell any of these options. I'd have to drive 1.5 hours to even get fox farm of any kind, let alone the others. My best option is to make my own. That aside, my mix is certainly more difficult than this, in terms of sourcing amendments. I think the biggest advantage is knowing exactly what is in my soil in order to know exactly how to modify it.

AG - You don't recycle this mix do you? One and done?

dank.Frank

Most of the time it's 1 and done, but I have shook rootballs and reused when I didn't have enough soil on hand. Never just reused by itself just mixed with new soil mix.

G

Is there a specific reason you chose Holly Tone over Tomato Tone ?? Mg content?

Latest posts

Latest posts