What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Headbanger headache for newb.

G

Hat in hand. Ive grown various strains for a few years with pretty good results in my organic soil. No way Im a master gardener but I have it figured out or so I thought, but Im getting my ass kicked here. I started with a pack of these and popped 6 and only had a few pop which is not normal for me. So I threw the other 7 in water and followed normal procedures. Never had this much trouble. So after about 10 days from water I ended up with 5 above ground plus a couple that poped and promptly thought better of it.

So I up potted way early just to try and help, and these 5 are 30 days and 25 days above ground and 7 days up potted respectively. I watered slightly a few hours back and I dont over or underwater anymore. I just turned and rotated spots in the tent for all of them before the pic.

3 gallon smart pots for this pheno hunt. The pics say more than I can other than the two on the bottom right have had the leaf droop non stop since day one like over watering but thats not been the case.

I thought up till now I was figuring out the indoor grow thing but holy shit Im feeling like one of the ones who can kill a cactus.

UncleBens

I generally use coco, my headbangers all liked heavy feeding.
I kept the mother plant in soil and found it easy to keep healthy if i fed her enough. She is in coco now and is looking underfed when everything else looks fine.
Is it home made soil? Are you using any bottled nutrients?

Last edited:
G

I generally use coco, my headbangers all liked heavy feeding.
I kept the mother plant in soil and found it easy to keep healthy if i fed her enough.
Is it home made soil? Are you using any bottled nutrients?
My home mixed soil that has been used a couple times. Re amended a few weeks back and left to sit.

I add my amendments to a large bowl.

.25 cup Oyster shell flower
.5 cup Coop Poop
.5 cup Worm Power
1 cup neem/Karanja
1 cup Kelp meal
1 cup crab meal
1 cup fish meal
1.5 cup solution grade gypsum
mix and use 2 cups per CF of used soil.

I dont usually use very much bottled organic stuff. I DO have a bottle of Neptunes Harvest fish and seaweed I was going to use since Im in much smaller bags than I usually use. 2-3-1 for veg but not used yet and some Dr.Earth 1-9-2 Flower Girl. I have used that in a very reduced rate in the past.

Im kind of in new waters here since I usually grow in 8-9 gallon smart pots but this is a pheno hunt so Im trying to grow a few more plants in smaller 3 gallon bags for the obvious reasons.

Not trying to turn this into a sick plant discussion but I dont usually have these issues. :wtf:

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ah yes. Another thread dedicated to why that exact mix doesn't work. There are about 800 pages of justifications and adjustments and excuses for it in the organic soil forum about what to spray and what to add when to actually make it work.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=268468

dank.Frank

Last edited:

UncleBens

Any time I have grown organically I just buy the bagged canna soil and use the biocanna nutrients to be honest... Always went fine asides from yellowing mid flower.
IMO you should feed with some veg nutes and something like rhizotonic will help greatly with their recovery.
Im no expert when it comes to organic growing so Im sorry I cant be of more help.
Headbanger is the best all round strain I have come accross, so dont give up on them! :)

Dog Star

Veteran
It looks to me like typical Mg def..

Feed just secondary nutes in water and look if they bounce,adjust ph with
apple vinegar a bit,so they dont have probs with absorbing nutes....

Dog Star

Veteran
Ups... am also now encounter you use crab meal a cup.. crab meal is a strong nute,
he need to goes in really small amounts,idea is to use him as a addition of chitin,
think it haves very strong N and you could also made a lock..

Please check new shots on plants does they are hard bended to one side??

If they are then you have a lock and you need first flush good,then feed third dose
of all nutes and kick ventilation on highest so they unstress from too much nutes..

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
My guess might be too low pH as it doesn't look like you have enough buffering in there.. any idea what the pH of your soil mix was after making up?

did you let it cook?

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yep. I agree with Lester. I see early on set deficiencies across the board, especially nitrogen. Could just be a simple case of not putting enough nutrient back into the soil this last time it was re-amended.

dank.Frank

Last edited:

Americangrower

Veteran
Yep I'm with Lester, give them a good fish feeding..in fact mix a spray bottle of it as well and spray them. Humidity of 41 is way to low for my liking in veg.

G

Will add Neptune’s harvest. This soil was lab tested couple grows back which means dick now. I’ve been guilty of loving my plants too much in the past.
I have a small humidifier running balls out in the closet and it’s running between 40% and 50%. Temps 70-80. Thanks. This soil gets chucked after this and will make a fresh batch. I may just go with the the Stonington blend. Depending on availability.

Latest posts

Latest posts