Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Talk About It! > General Gardening > How to get rid of established grass?

Thread Title Search
Click for great deals at MB Ferts
How to get rid of established grass? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-17-2018, 04:12 AM #11
Ibechillin

Ibechillin has much to be proud ofIbechillin has much to be proud ofIbechillin has much to be proud ofIbechillin has much to be proud ofIbechillin has much to be proud ofIbechillin has much to be proud ofIbechillin has much to be proud ofIbechillin has much to be proud ofIbechillin has much to be proud ofIbechillin has much to be proud ofIbechillin has much to be proud of
Did some searching, the clear plastic (people opt for clear more than black it seems) needs warmth like in spring to solarize (cook) the roots completely to prevent regeneration from root bits, but seems the most effective in preventing re growth next to grass killers.

Bermuda grass is really aggressive from what i read, and people mention even after solarizing aggressive grasses disturbing lower than the top 3 inches of the soil could dig up seeds that werent cooked completely.
Ibechillin is offline Quote

Old 11-17-2018, 04:29 AM #12
DTOM420

DTOM420 is just really niceDTOM420 is just really niceDTOM420 is just really niceDTOM420 is just really niceDTOM420 is just really niceDTOM420 is just really niceDTOM420 is just really niceDTOM420 is just really niceDTOM420 is just really niceDTOM420 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Are you growing now? If not, wait until Spring.
No sir, Iím not. But I was wanting to turn up the soil, amend it, get the beds laid out and let the soil cure under a crop of green manure...until mid March. So, by that time, all I really need to do is plant. I guess Iíll try the plastic down for a a few weeks; and then Iíll probably just dig up the top 4-6 inches (where the beds will be) with a shovel or maybe the tractor bucket. Maybe thatíll eliminate most of it. Iíll keep the plastic in place on the walkways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibechillin View Post
Did some searching, the clear plastic (people opt for clear more than black it seems) needs warmth like in spring to solarize (cook) the roots completely to prevent regeneration from root bits, but seems the most effective in preventing re growth next to grass killers.

Bermuda grass is really aggressive from what i read, and people mention even after solarizing aggressive grasses disturbing lower than the top 3 inches of the soil could dig up seeds that werent cooked completely.
Thanks for looking into it. That was my understanding also. Bermuda grass is one of the few grasses that does well here and itís not terribly water hungry to stay alive. Itíll sure turn brown in the summer heat, if you donít water it but at any point you can start watering and a couple weeks later itíll be green! Lol. The resilience is pretty useful unless you want to put in a garden. Most folks just spray glyphosphate but I donít want to do that. My neighbors would think Iím stupid. Lmao!
DTOM420 is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-17-2018, 05:13 AM #13
Lrus007

Lrus007 is a name known to allLrus007 is a name known to allLrus007 is a name known to allLrus007 is a name known to allLrus007 is a name known to allLrus007 is a name known to allLrus007 is a name known to allLrus007 is a name known to allLrus007 is a name known to allLrus007 is a name known to allLrus007 is a name known to all
till it then plant winter rye. when rye is 1' tall
till it in. then replant rye and repeat a few times.
it will kill off the other grass seed.
Lrus007
My therapist says I am a habitual liar and an attention seeker, therefore nothing I say/write is true and under no circumstances should I be believed nor held accountable for anything I say. all photo's are paintings

admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof
Lrus007 is offline Quote

Old 11-18-2018, 06:31 PM #14
St. Phatty

St. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivor
I have several stands of super thick growing grass in my front yard.

I end up throwing a 4x8 foot lattice on top of it. It gives the pets a place to hide, that's always only a few feet away. Since they have to live with hawks forever circling over-head.

The pets hang out & play on the front lawn, then run to the lattices or into the bushes when the hawks start circling.

A 30 Degree day feels like a 40 Degree Day

(Degrees F)
St. Phatty is offline Quote

Old 11-26-2018, 11:52 AM #15
Veggia farmer

Veggia farmer has a spectacular aura aboutVeggia farmer has a spectacular aura aboutVeggia farmer has a spectacular aura about
PIGS! they eat everything and will till the top inches. How big area? The problem of being a pig farmer is NOT get rid of the established grass, also know as pasture…
Veggia farmer is offline Quote

Old 11-26-2018, 11:54 AM #16
Veggia farmer

Veggia farmer has a spectacular aura aboutVeggia farmer has a spectacular aura aboutVeggia farmer has a spectacular aura about
Plus you get meat (if you like) and manure…
Veggia farmer is offline Quote