Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Talk About It! > General Gardening > How to get rid of established grass?

Thread Title Search
Click for great deals at MB Ferts
How to get rid of established grass? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-16-2018, 04:40 PM #1
DTOM420

DTOM420 is just really niceDTOM420 is just really niceDTOM420 is just really niceDTOM420 is just really niceDTOM420 is just really niceDTOM420 is just really niceDTOM420 is just really niceDTOM420 is just really niceDTOM420 is just really niceDTOM420 is just really nice
How to get rid of established grass?

How do you get rid of established grass to make a new garden? Iím wanting to build a new garden in a spot on our property that currently has established Bermuda and Jiggs grass on it. I really donít want to spray Roundup to kill the grass but Iíd like to use my native soil in this garden and grow in the ground. My other gardens are containers/raised beds and a couple spots that didnít have grass growing already. Any advice would be appreciated. I have 5 months to get the garden ready to plant so I really need to get started here.
DTOM420 is offline Quote

Old 11-16-2018, 04:44 PM #2
Ibechillin
Research Enthusiast

Ibechillin has a brilliant futureIbechillin has a brilliant futureIbechillin has a brilliant futureIbechillin has a brilliant futureIbechillin has a brilliant futureIbechillin has a brilliant futureIbechillin has a brilliant futureIbechillin has a brilliant futureIbechillin has a brilliant futureIbechillin has a brilliant futureIbechillin has a brilliant future
depending on how large the area is of course...just covering the grass with black plastic will kill the shit out of it all. You could even cut holes out of the plastic to plant into and leave most of the sheet down as weed barrier too.
Ibechillin is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-16-2018, 04:52 PM #3
Safe Gardener

Safe Gardener is a jewel in the roughSafe Gardener is a jewel in the roughSafe Gardener is a jewel in the roughSafe Gardener is a jewel in the roughSafe Gardener is a jewel in the roughSafe Gardener is a jewel in the rough
When I bought my house I waited a year to figure out what part of the yard got the best sun exposure the next spring is ran the rototiller over the grass untill it was turned up to nice soft dirt. Put up a dear fence and planted my starters. Grass has not been an issue at all and four years later I get tons of vegies each season.
Safe Gardener is offline Quote

Old 11-16-2018, 04:54 PM #4
purplepassion

purplepassion is just really nicepurplepassion is just really nicepurplepassion is just really nicepurplepassion is just really nicepurplepassion is just really nicepurplepassion is just really nicepurplepassion is just really nicepurplepassion is just really nicepurplepassion is just really nicepurplepassion is just really nicepurplepassion is just really nice
Black or clear tarps will kill 10-14 days for best results. Good heavy duty clear works the best for us melts the grass away in almost a day.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-16-2018, 05:52 PM #5
dufous

dufous is just really nicedufous is just really nicedufous is just really nicedufous is just really nicedufous is just really nicedufous is just really nicedufous is just really nicedufous is just really nicedufous is just really nicedufous is just really nicedufous is just really nice
No dig. Mow it down short. Cover with paper or cardboard.

Top with six inches of compost.

See Charles Dowding and other No Dig method advocates on you tube.
dufous is online now Quote

Old 11-16-2018, 06:14 PM #6
redlaser

redlaser has a reputation beyond reputeredlaser has a reputation beyond reputeredlaser has a reputation beyond reputeredlaser has a reputation beyond reputeredlaser has a reputation beyond reputeredlaser has a reputation beyond reputeredlaser has a reputation beyond reputeredlaser has a reputation beyond reputeredlaser has a reputation beyond reputeredlaser has a reputation beyond reputeredlaser has a reputation beyond repute
Cut it low and cover with clear plastic, process will work best in full sun situations. Partially shaded areas will be unsuccessful.
Iíd leave it several weeks, pull back and strip dead sod, and re apply plastic 2-3 more times if you have the time.

Bermuda spreads by stolons and seeds, so donít expect it all to be killed first year. Even if you could elimate stolons, seeds will persist for years.
redlaser is offline Quote

Old 11-16-2018, 06:16 PM #7
Drewsif

Drewsif is a glorious beacon of lightDrewsif is a glorious beacon of lightDrewsif is a glorious beacon of lightDrewsif is a glorious beacon of lightDrewsif is a glorious beacon of lightDrewsif is a glorious beacon of lightDrewsif is a glorious beacon of lightDrewsif is a glorious beacon of lightDrewsif is a glorious beacon of lightDrewsif is a glorious beacon of lightDrewsif is a glorious beacon of light
Till it and rake out the Bermuda runners. Get one of those adjustable rakea to make life easy. If youre not adding aeration you're gonna have to till it anyway. Even if you are adding aeration, like leaf compost, buckwheat hulls, etc you got to get them in somehow. Then get a bag of Wallace wow mycorrhizae and brew some lactic acid bacteria.
Drewsif is offline Quote

Old 11-16-2018, 06:18 PM #8
troutman
Seed Whore

troutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivor
Don't use herbicides. Just make rows and plant away.

Cover the grass in-between the rows with something to kill the grass.

How many solo cups does one need?

Who created the Original Skunks?
troutman is offline Quote

Old 11-16-2018, 06:27 PM #9
DTOM420

DTOM420 is just really niceDTOM420 is just really niceDTOM420 is just really niceDTOM420 is just really niceDTOM420 is just really niceDTOM420 is just really niceDTOM420 is just really niceDTOM420 is just really niceDTOM420 is just really niceDTOM420 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibechillin View Post
depending on how large the area is of course...just covering the grass with black plastic will kill the shit out of it all. You could even cut holes out of the plastic to plant into and leave most of the sheet down as weed barrier too.
Will the plastic work in winter? We had an early freeze a couple days ago but now itís back into the low 50ís at night and upper 60ís/low 70ís in the day. I was thinking thatís make the grass dormant and wasnít sure plastic would work. You think it would?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safe Gardener View Post
When I bought my house I waited a year to figure out what part of the yard got the best sun exposure the next spring is ran the rototiller over the grass untill it was turned up to nice soft dirt. Put up a dear fence and planted my starters. Grass has not been an issue at all and four years later I get tons of vegies each season.
Itís not going to be huge and I have a disc on a tractor but I PUT this grass in by tilling the soil, throwing runners that had been cut a couple hours earlier and disking them into the soil. So, just discing or rototilling will only spread this grass.
DTOM420 is offline Quote

Old 11-16-2018, 06:29 PM #10
troutman
Seed Whore

troutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivor
Are you growing now? If not, wait until Spring.

How many solo cups does one need?

Who created the Original Skunks?
troutman is offline Quote