What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DTOM’s Composting Project(s)

DTOM420

Paulie, 3 Q's:
1: exactly why shouldn't people listen to me when you're smoking e coli.
2: where should I be?
3: no need to join teddy in the being a prick game, wouldn't you rather keep your head down than start something with me? That's a game you can't win.

I’m hoping you’re just going through a bad patch and that your mood will improve; because I’d hate to think the attitude you’ve exhibited in this thread is the ‘norm’ in your life. I literally prayed for you this morning because I read your comments right before I went into church.

So far, you haven’t contributed a single constructive thing to this discussion but you’ve managed to discount the technique of the vast majority of organic growers, threaten another forum member and call yet another member a “prick.” If you can’t or won’t contribute to the discussion and are only going to post abrasive comments and take offense that people don’t agree with your views, please avail yourself of the ‘back’ button. As they say around here, sometimes it’s best to ¡Cállate la boca!

Hope your day and mood improves! :wave:

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
420giveaway
Actually I tried to stop a member poisoning themselves with ecoli.
I was then greeted with being told I had no business being in the forum, and people were told not to listen to me. I have been insulted and belittled in this thread, for trying to protect people from your actions.

I guess I'll leave your imaginary friend to protect you from your actions though, he's all powerful right? Lol
Christian yanks, can't teach you lot anything can we.

DTOM420

I guess not. No need to troll this thread any more. Thanks for your efforts and have a great day!

I wonder if a lack of e-coli in weed causes aggression and paranoid delusional thinking? Lol! Love me some e-coli! Lol!

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
420giveaway
Don't worry, its spewing out of your mouth with every word you say right now.

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
Instead of trying to "teach" us, every one of us should be here to learn. There are things that I don't know, I don't act like I have all the answers. I do know this. The man made chemicals that are all around us, are far more deadly and dangerous and harmful than, a plant growing in some poop ( both of which have been around for millions of years).

I highly doubt you are teaching your friends and family in real life everyday about their cell phone radio waves, or shampoo chemicals, or forgetting to wash their fruit and eating pesticides, or chowing down on a delicious macdonalds burger (served by min wage kid who doesn't give a shit to bother wiping his hands after taking a shit, and getting ecoli into your food) that was made from a cow, with a hole in its sides to release the puss and shit while standing in its pile of shit (which is where e coli again, comes from).

No your not concerned about any of those, yet you feel the need to save the lives of us clueless gardeners. No thanks, Im good!

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
interesting thread...

making a point about the dangers of ecoli is one thing but insulting other members while doing so isn't really great. lets keep it on topic and off each other.

smoke a bowl or a spliff and relax folks.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
420giveaway
Gais, I re read the thread. I was told to talk about my childhood, I was told I should not be in the organic forums, others were told not to listen to safety warnings from me and now I'm being told about my activities off line. And I'm out of order? I think were about to fall out !

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I re read the thread GMT ... and I thought you came into the thread a little strong... its sometimes hard to tell a persons real attitude because of this typing thing we work with ... the thread starter really did try to talk nicely to you ... you have a beef with someone else in the thread it would be nice if you could take it to private and not bog down this members thread with useless bickering .

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yea your negativity showed how much you cared right from the beginning . Doesnt seem to matter what anyone says to you today ... you seem to have a hair up your ass about something . Perhaps try a nap if a joint doesnt work ... sometimes as we get older a nap is a good idea :) just like when we were little kids and got crabby.

7thson

If my leaves wouldn't take three year to break down,I would be composting them.I don't want to wait that long,but maybe I shouldn't be so impatient.I know all my gardens would love it! I have the room too.

T

Teddybrae

If my leaves wouldn't take three year to break down,I would be composting them.I don't want to wait that long,but maybe I shouldn't be so impatient.I know all my gardens would love it! I have the room too.

So what are your leaves? Join in more! Help lift this thread out of the doldrums!

and also is that Cactus avatar Lophophora Williamsonii?

antheis

Veteran
Side question....anyone recognize these ‘shrooms? I don’t think they’re ‘magical’ but they were growing profusely from some horse manure. Just curious what they are.
View Image

well to determine what kind of mushroom those are you need to do a few things.

pick a few and try to get as much of the 'roots' as possible. they aren't really roots but mycelium. now take a couple and break the stems in half or just squish them with your fingers. what color does it turn? the nex thing you'll want to do is take a spore print. do this by cutting the stem right where it meets the cap and placing the cap on tin foil and cover it with a cup for at least 4 hours, but overnight is better.
now, psilocybe mushrooms - the magic ones - will bruise a bluish color and the spore print will be dark purple to almost black. they will also have a slimy layer on the top of the cap that you can peel off.

but, fair warning, if you are not sure what kind of mushroom it is do not eat it.

DTOM420

Yea your negativity showed how much you cared right from the beginning . Doesnt seem to matter what anyone says to you today ... you seem to have a hair up your ass about something . Perhaps try a nap if a joint doesnt work ... sometimes as we get older a nap is a good idea :) just like when we were little kids and got crabby.

Thanks for trying to help, brother! Not sure how this got off track but it’s kinda been a downer. I figured this’d be an interesting topic that’d interest a bunch of people and I never imagined it would be a controversial one. I really appreciate you trying to get things back on track. I’m hoping that positive folks (like @Teddybrae, @PaulieWaulie, @Microbeman and others) will jump back in and move the conversation forward; because, Lord knows, I can use ALL the help I can get!! Lol!

DTOM420

well to determine what kind of mushroom those are you need to do a few things.

pick a few and try to get as much of the 'roots' as possible. they aren't really roots but mycelium. now take a couple and break the stems in half or just squish them with your fingers. what color does it turn? the nex thing you'll want to do is take a spore print. do this by cutting the stem right where it meets the cap and placing the cap on tin foil and cover it with a cup for at least 4 hours, but overnight is better.
now, psilocybe mushrooms - the magic ones - will bruise a bluish color and the spore print will be dark purple to almost black. they will also have a slimy layer on the top of the cap that you can peel off.

but, fair warning, if you are not sure what kind of mushroom it is do not eat it.

Thanks for the awesome information Antheis! I’ll try that the next time I find some. I did look for blue bruising but didn’t see any. How long does the bruising take to exhibit itself? I pinched a could stems and didn’t see anything within about 15 minutes and was busy working, so I didn’t mess with them any more. I saved your instructions and will use them next time. Thanks again!

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
they are unlikely to be psychedelic mushrooms just growing there by coincidence. would be too cool if you accidentally added spores of magic mushrooms to your pile, regular batches when it gets damp all mushroom season long whoopee! but alas they are probably not even edible, let alone psychedelic, hehe.

DTOM420

So, I removed the “form” from my compost pile and it looks just like the one I saw from a guy who’s work inspired me to try it this way. I guess I’ll start calling it a compost “cube” instead of a pile. Will it work for me? Who knows. I’m pretty unlucky, LMAO!, so chances are it’s going to fail. Lol! I’m sny case, I’m going to give it a try. But I’m also going to build a few bins like Microbeman posted and, when the leaves begin dropping, I’m going to collect a whole lot of them from folks in town that have yards they rake.

Anyway, here’s the pile with the frame beginning to be removed:
picture.php

Here’s a couple shots of the cube with the entire frame removed:
picture.php

picture.php

Here’s a closeup of one side, where you can kinda see the composition of the cube:
picture.php

And here I’ve covered it with a breathable sheeting. It’s the sheeting that you wrap a home with before you put on the siding. It’s waterproof but breathable. So, I turned it with the outside facing inward. My idea is to help retain moisture (it’s usually pretty dry and breezy here) in the cube and protect it from the drying effect of the wind; but also allow all the air the microbes need to get in.
picture.php

What do y’all think? I’ll be curious to see what @Microbeman thinks of this unconventional method? If it works, my thought is it requires no permanent structures and I’ll be able to fit lots and lots of these formed cubes in a smaller space. The form removes and assembles in less than 4-5 minutes. So, when it’s time to turn a pile, I could set the frame up right next to it’s current location and do the turn. If I created a row of these piles one month, over the next month the piles would create a different row 3 feet away and the following month the row would be back in its original location. If I can get it to work, it might be an easier way for an urban farmer/grower to actually be able to begin composting. One of these neat free standing cubes might go over better with some wives. Haha!

DTOM420

Here’s a more traditional pile I’ve had going for a month that’s green cow manure, 1-year old+ leaves and some pine shavings that had gotten wet a year or two ago and had been sitting out in the brush. It seemed to heat up when I initially built it but never got terribly hot; and since I’ve turned it (a couple times) it hasn’t seemed to heat up again. There are still chunks of manure that I can break open and are as green as when they dropped out of the cow and smell just like fresh cow manure. Anyone have any ideas why this is happening? Maybe it was too wet or not enough brown?[\B] When I started my chicken coop compost pile it heated up immediately with just the bedding (chicken manure naturally mixed in) piled up on a tarp and sprayed down and wrapped up in the tarp. At the first couple of turns there was visible fungal growth inside the pile. I’m not seeing that with this cow manure. I’m confused.
picture.php

picture.php

DTOM420

they are unlikely to be psychedelic mushrooms just growing there by coincidence. would be too cool if you accidentally added spores of magic mushrooms to your pile, regular batches when it gets damp all mushroom season long whoopee! but alas they are probably not even edible, let alone psychedelic, hehe.

Yeah, growing on your compost pile would be awful lucky, fo sho! These were actually growing out in a horse pasture where I was collecting manure. I’ve thought about buying some spores and putting them out in a pasture here; but I’ve got SO many things on my plate I really don’t need another one. Lol. Now, if I ran up on some magic bells growing naturally....well, I’d just have to avail myself of God’s little gift!!!