What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

First seeds vs last

X

xavier7995

I dont see why they would be. Where a seed develops on a plant shouldnt dictate the genetic potential within. If you clone a lower branch rather than a top you dont wind up with a different plant.

That said, who knows and interesting question.

therevverend

Veteran
When I pollinate a plant I usually choose an inconsequential lower limb. Seeds from there are just as good as seeds from a top cola.
Where on the plant the seeds came from could be important because it might determine which male impregnated the plant. Was it an early male or a late male? Which male flowered first and which flowered later?
Often I'll let males drop a little pollen before I remove them because the females haven't flowered yet. But they do have preflowers which form seeds. If I find one of these fully developed seeds at a node or deep in a bud I'll know it came from one of these males.
As opposed to stray pollen from purposeful breeding I did later on. Or hermaphrodite pollen from nanners that may have sprouted later. A breeder usually should grow seeds from chosen males as opposed to random hermaphrodites or accidental pollination.

green-genes77

Veteran
I've never noticed a difference but it isn't something I have ever put to the test. About the only thing I have noted even remotely similar is that, when produced outside, seeds that matured in warm weather might germinate a little faster. This could be due to other factors though as I haven't exactly done a double-blind test on that either haha.

clearheaded

I am curious why you think that would be a thing??

seeds may have slightly higher ratio of larger beans near the top which have a bit more energy and cotyledon size but doesnt make that "more represenative" of the mom.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Just asking is all.
I put out a little auto and the buds were seed free, but there was a seed, sometimes two, at each node against the stalk. Just something I noticed.

Limeygreen

Veteran
Some have given the thought to where the seed is produced is representative to a certain part of the plant and therefore the seed from that area will focus more on that particular part of the plant. The example was corn and to focus on the ear production I believe they used seed around 2/3 from the bottom of the cob. I never heard how it turned out in comparison. I cannot dismiss it entirely as there could be merit but I haven't ever seen proof either.

Guy Brush

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just asking is all.
I put out a little auto and the buds were seed free, but there was a seed, sometimes two, at each node against the stalk. Just something I noticed.

In some cases it's possible that these single seeds on the preflower locations come out differently when there were earlier and later flowering males around.

bigbadbiddy

I remember reading a post, I believe it was here on IC, about a guy claiming this was some kind of best kept secret in the seed industry or something and that we only ever get sold the lower seeds and they keep the top cola seeds for themselves for breeding. Sounded a bit off the rail and people didn't pay him much mind.

What I remember from the whole exchange is two things:
1) The idea was interesting and if you ignored the whole conspiracy shabang, it didn't seem inherently illogical. Basically the consensus (to me anyway) was: could be
2) There was no proof in any way shape or form. The only "proof" or thing that (if my memory serves) came out as "fact" was that top seeds are usually a bit bigger, tiger striped etc. overall "riper" or "more developed" which makes sense. But if that has any implication on anything else other than optics? Interesting hypothesis, no research to answer though.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
It makes sense that hairs that are pollinated first will have the most time to mature. If anything, with my tin foil hat on, I suspect the seeds that grow against the stalk at the node intersection, are better. In what way, I don't know other than they are always well ripened.