What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ibechillin's Dank Chronicle

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
June 3rd:

Been noticing a deficiency on most the plants starting with the lower leaves and slight yellowing at leaf tips since weather got nicer, took pictures to show and get some other suggestions. Im pretty sure its being caused from underwatering as im still not confident saturating the larger pots. Gave them the Jack's 10-30-20 bloom food and epsom foliar yesterday for NPK, MG and S just in case.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Seen this interesting looking bug called a hover fly, they are a beneficial insect that eats aphids, thrips, scale insects and caterpillars:

picture.php

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Oh boy! Looks pretty dry and soft to me. Make sure you water enough so water comes out the bottom. That way you know its all saturated. Watering too frequently is the problem. A lot of water in a single watering to saturate the soil completely won't do any harm. To determine when its time to water, lift the container to see if its lighter weight.

I would top up the container with media and water it well to settle the soil.

thailer

i think your feeling about underwatering is right on. i was gonna say it but kept reading and then you did. when i got larger pots, i thought i was giving enough water and the plants weren't showing any signs they needed extra water so i was exploring other stuff like nutrient issues and maybe getting a better recipe but nothing ever solved the issue till i tried using the SIPs. i am not having any problems now. in particular, one plant that yellows out early the past two round i've had is now green and praying in veg finally.

there's that old tom hill watering method of 10% of the pot size so 20 gallons gets two gallons of water. i was only giving them a gallon. two gallons perked them right up and this round in the last of the pots i am moving though is doing better. its been a real learning experience. lol

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Oh boy! Looks pretty dry and soft to me. Make sure you water enough so water comes out the bottom. That way you know its all saturated. Watering too frequently is the problem. A lot of water in a single watering to saturate the soil completely won't do any harm. To determine when its time to water, lift the container to see if its lighter weight.

I would top up the container with media and water it well to settle the soil.

Cant lift pots they are all already rooted into the native ground below, the plants are too big to lift without crushing them against my torso in the process anyways lol. First time I watered the soil was 5 weeks after transplant to the 30 gallon pots on May 22nd, 1 gallon water to each 30 gallon pot (overcast and rain most of May). 8 days later May 30th gave the plants their second watering of 3 gallons each. 3 days after that on June 2nd gave the plants 1.5 gallons each.

The yellowing bottom leaves started showing up right before the first watering. Im pretty sure I didnt water enough then since weather was getting hot and dry, also likely they just hungry since theyve been 7 weeks feeding off my soil mix and water only. The Cheesecake plants that flowered early in this mix did really well and the furthest along has super frosty nugs, gonna have to try using it as a transplant then bloom mix sometime when i get the chance.

i think your feeling about underwatering is right on. i was gonna say it but kept reading and then you did. when i got larger pots, i thought i was giving enough water and the plants weren't showing any signs they needed extra water so i was exploring other stuff like nutrient issues and maybe getting a better recipe but nothing ever solved the issue till i tried using the SIPs. i am not having any problems now. in particular, one plant that yellows out early the past two round i've had is now green and praying in veg finally.

there's that old tom hill watering method of 10% of the pot size so 20 gallons gets two gallons of water. i was only giving them a gallon. two gallons perked them right up and this round in the last of the pots i am moving though is doing better. its been a real learning experience. lol

Exactly haha! Plants have been reaching for light praying since being put out April 15th. If I stick my index finger in the soil to my knuckle It feels cool and moist so Im leery of overwatering, awesome you got it figured out thailer. I come from a hydroponic/soiless background. Once the plants are established 10% of pot size is what Ive been planning, it worked well with my 100 gallon Blue Cheese grow through 2017. Compared to the 10 gallon fabric pots I used indoor properly watering larger pots of real soil outdoors has definitely been a learning curve of its own.

June 4th:

Its been 4 weeks exactly since I fed the 2 cups/13.5oz of Nutri Rich 4-3-2 chicken manure pellets, time to feed photoperiod plants again.

Pulled topsoil back to pot edges away from stalk and top dressed:

1 cup 6.75 oz Nutri Rich 4-3-2 chicken manure pellets
1 cup Dr. Earth acid lovers 3-4-3
5 tbsp dolomite lime
2.5 tbsp gypsum
2 tbsp Down To Earth kelp meal
2 tbsp Down To Earth humic acid

Then covered with the topsoil and sprinkled/worked into soil surface 2 tbsp Down To Earth neem seed meal.
Gave each of the photoperiod plants 1 gallon of water with:

1 tsp Blu Moon Mega Roots
1/4 tsp Espoma Liquid Grow 2-2-2

Expecting rain tomorrow and next day. Will post update pictures of photoperiod plants on friday.

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
June 5th:

After being fed yesterday and raining last night the plants were stretching for light and tracking the sun like crazy thismorning. Its overcast skies and sun is away for a few days. Since plants struggle to translocate some elements when its colder figured good time to foliar spray solubles, makes sense to force feed it where its needed.

Foliar sprayed 1 gallon among all plants:

0.15625 grams epsom salt 9.8% Mg 12.9% S
0.125 grams jacks 10-30-20
1 tsp Blu Moon Mega Roots
1/4 tsp dolomite lime powder (for PH)

Foliar Total ppm:
(I made a mistake the other day on the ppm math. This is the corrected ppm amounts and only 1/4 the feed strength I intended to foliar lol)

N 3.306878307ppm
P 4.3253968256ppm
K 5.4894179896ppm
Mg 3.2407407409ppm
S 4.265873016

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
June 5th Pictures:

Agent Orange sprout:

picture.php

Agent orange sprout cotyledons reaching for light after foliar:

picture.php

"Northern Lights" autoflowers week 7 update:
(These 3 are 19 inches tall. Center plant was first to show sex as female and flower, plant on right is a male and im debating saving pollen, left plant undetermined)

picture.php

"Northern Lights" autoflower early female also has pink pistils:

picture.php

picture.php

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
June 7th:

Cheesecake #1 @ 12 weeks:

picture.php

picture.php

Cheesecake #1 reveg progress:

picture.php

picture.php

Cheesecake #1 new reveg branch growing from top of nug:

picture.php

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Lifted OG @ 10 weeks:
(Growing 9 bladed fan leaves)

picture.php

picture.php

Gummo @ 10 weeks:
(Growing 9 bladed fan leaves)

picture.php

picture.php

Gummo has extra long stipules at nodes, trippy:

picture.php

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just finding your thread! I need to read through it all and catch up with what you've got going. Quick glance though, you have some healthy plants going so far! Off to a great start.

Do you have soil test results for what you have going on here?

:lurk:

dank.Frank

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Just finding your thread! I need to read through it all and catch up with what you've got going. Quick glance though, you have some healthy plants going so far! Off to a great start.

Do you have soil test results for what you have going on here?

:lurk:

dank.Frank

Thanks, Im still pretty new to soil/organics/outdoor growing. This is my third season using all 3, only 1 complete season 2017 though (5.5 years hydroponic/soiless growing before that, 7.5 years growing total). No soil test, my hobby is learning (introverted) and my learning curve is beyond my means unfortunately lol. Ive been paying close attention/taking notes of issues I encountered previous seasons then researching ways to make adjustments and improve best I can though.

2017 was the first year I used soil/organics/outdoor. Started too late to blend and cook my own soil and also didnt confidently understand yet. Essentially just winged it all season on a tight budget with supplies from Home Depot and a basic understanding haha (Alaska fish fertilizer 5-1-1, liquid kelp extract and Jobes Heirloom Tomato 2-5-3 dry fertilizer along with some Blu Moon Mega Roots liquid I was gifted by a friend):

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=342997

This Dank Chronicle thread starts off the beginning of 2018 (last) season. With a better starting budget its documenting my experiences moving forward getting more involved trying recycling/blending/cooking my own soil, making aerated compost teas, topdressing amendments, and of course experimenting!

Glad to have you here Frank, like the saying goes about raising kids "it takes a village" applies here to.
:smoke out:

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Happy birthday!!
I'll hit my nectar collector just for you. Well, I'll hit it an extra time just for you.
More importantly- make sure you take an extra couple for yourself.
Thanks for spreading around all those links you find. Awesome quality info!
:happybirthday::gift:
:happybirthday:

Oliver Pantsoff

Veteran
Happy Bday..Finna blaze 2 pre98 bubba kush jernts for ya...Hey, to be just 25 you're really on your shit. Got a lot of good knowledge in that noggin:D I've read a few of your threads and liked your information about LED's...Cheers man

OP

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Happy Birthday, Ibchillin! You're pretty sharp! Its amazing, you always have something to learn. Every year we are getting stronger and smarter, that's the goal anyway! :smoke:

Thanks for the updates. Some of those autos are pretty thin and sparse flowers, but a couple of them look good. The regular photoperiod flowering plants are branching out well and have some big old fan leaves! Should yield pretty good, and will be fun to watch! Plenty of sun there!

Whats going to happen with the reveg. plants? Will they start moving with the new branches soon? I guess that was a lesson learned this year.

Enjoying a taste of medicine with you! Lets have another look at the pretty Northern Lights pink pistil auto!

picture.php