What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Democratic leader announces new acceptance of marijuana

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
WASHINGTON (AP) — The top Senate Democrat is using marijuana's informal holiday to announce a change of heart about the drug, another sign of the growing political acceptance of pot.
New York Sen. Chuck Schumer said Friday he'll introduce a bill taking marijuana off the federal list of controlled substances — in effect decriminalizing its use.
Instead, his bill would let states decide how to treat marijuana possession. Under the measure, the federal government would still enforce laws against moving pot into states where it's illegal and would still regulate advertising so it isn't aimed at children.
"My thinking, as well as the general population's views, on the issue has evolved," Schumer said.
Schumer said he also wants to ensure that minorities and women have a fair shot at getting involved in the growing marijuana industry and that the federal government invests in research.
Eight states and the District of Columbia now allow recreational use of marijuana, and a majority of states allow its use for medical purposes.
Americans' support for marijuana legalization has been growing in polls with Gallup's most recent update in October showing that 64 percent of Americans were in favor of legalization.
The White House said last week that President Donald Trump backs legislation to protect the marijuana industry in states where it is legal.
Former U.S. House Speaker John Boehner also announced recently that he had changed his stance on marijuana and that he would promote its nationwide legalization as a way to help veterans and the nation's deadly opioid crisis.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/democratic-leader-seeks-pot-legal-under-federal-law-143644007--politics.html

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
President Trump COULD if he so desired to issue a presidential decree legalizing cannabis. It would then be up to the congress to override his decree with a veto.

Coulda, shoulda, woulda, didn't.

cryptop

It looks like Boehner initiated this? Now Schumer (and the entirety of dems and republicans) are going to pretend to love states regulating themselves. They're tripping over each other to see who can capitalize on cannabis before the midterms. I'm just waiting to see someone introduce a federal legalization bill that mandates a federal oligopoly of mids producers.

Jhhnn

Veteran
It looks like Boehner initiated this? Now Schumer (and the entirety of dems and republicans) are going to pretend to love states regulating themselves. They're tripping over each other to see who can capitalize on cannabis before the midterms. I'm just waiting to see someone introduce a federal legalization bill that mandates a federal oligopoly of mids producers.

No. Boehner is a private citizen since Sept of 2015. He recently took a board position in a Canna company.

The 2016 Democratic platform called for a path to legalization & this is it.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
The dems get something right, yeehah!

Trump left it to the states as I expected. The poor guys that got scared by the Keebler elf, must have been terrifying.

cryptop

No. Boehner is a private citizen since Sept of 2015. He recently took a board position in a Canna company.

The 2016 Democratic platform called for a path to legalization & this is it.

That is what I am referring to. As soon as Boehner took that position and Trump appears to support states rights (as the sitting president this time, not as a nominee), the democrats immediately have started pulling out all the stops to see who can support it more.

Cory Booker, Gavin Newsom, etc were playing the longer game and hoping to use legalization to win the 2020 election. Now that republicans are suddenly going to beat them to it in the public's eyes, they are being forced to move much faster than they originally intended. It's all in the game to win votes. Will be interesting to see what states legalize in the next 2 years.

justanotherbozo

Veteran
President Trump COULD if he so desired to issue a presidential decree legalizing cannabis. It would then be up to the congress to override his decree with a veto.

Coulda, shoulda, woulda, didn't.

...niether did Oblowjob, and he had 8 years to get it done.

bozo

igrowone

Veteran
outright removal from the 'list'?
damn, that would be something
but guessing there's more to it than that, that would be like tomatoes

Jhhnn

Veteran
That is what I am referring to. As soon as Boehner took that position and Trump appears to support states rights (as the sitting president this time, not as a nominee), the democrats immediately have started pulling out all the stops to see who can support it more.

Cory Booker, Gavin Newsom, etc were playing the longer game and hoping to use legalization to win the 2020 election. Now that republicans are suddenly going to beat them to it in the public's eyes, they are being forced to move much faster than they originally intended. It's all in the game to win votes. Will be interesting to see what states legalize in the next 2 years.

Please. This has been going on a lot longer than Boehner flipping to the other side. Even though they have majorities in both houses of Congress the GOP would never get enough votes from their own members to change the law. We saw that with the votes to prevent the DEA from busting state legit MMJ ops. We see that in the political leanings of legalized States, too. We saw it in the 2016 Democratic platform. Hippie-dippie Liberals have championed the cause since the 60's with some of our more conservative brethren coming onboard much more recently.

Why the Hell you're throwing shade on people willing to work with us is incomprehensible. As this shakes out the cooperation of several GOP congress critters will be required. If it doesn't happen it will be because too few of them are willing to do so. Even then it will require Trump's signature, as well.

cryptop

Why the Hell you're throwing shade on people willing to work with us is incomprehensible.

If that's what you took away from my post you severely misinterpreted it.

Am I skeptical of the true intentions of our politicians in general? Yes. Do I think that a lot of legislators who are portraying themselves as long time advocates for cannabis are posturing for votes? Yes. Am I advocating that we hold out until the perfect bill comes about? No. I am saying that politicians are DESPERATE for votes and are potentially more malleable than ever to create good laws. But we must remain vigilant. Legalization is not a binary issue. Try starting a medical cultivation operation in Maine, and then try the same in Illinois. Is that the same barrier to entry, the same patient access, and the same price of high quality medicine to you?

And I don't really like taking sides politically, like you implied.... both sides have been opponents to cannabis.

EasyGoing

I hope Trump legalizes.... He is already pushing for Congress to get it done......

So many people would melt down and have a short circuit if Trump is the president who is in power when cannabis is legalized...... LOL. I can only dream.

W

Water-

a primitive Us and Them mentality .

trump has always supported marijuana legalization.

EasyGoing

a primitive Us and Them mentality .

trump has always supported marijuana legalization.

Us vs Them by hoping Trump legalizes cannabis? Also hoping the Dem leader will legalize? Hoping both side legalize it is an "us vs them mentality" That is your opinion, on a pot sight, as a pot grower?

I am blown away by this comment.... Very strange.....

dddaver

Veteran
One thing is sure.The conservative politicians will jump on this to screw the pooch somehow. Do not expect complete Schedule removal.