What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

God Bud plants flowering July 1st? Ideas?

browntrout

Veteran
Hello everyone,

I have some God Bud plants I started from two different phenos. The beans were gifted to me this way from a kind fellow. Original stock comes from BCBD. His results where very good and akin to the original.

However I noticed the more sativa hawaain phenos are flowering, one female and one male. I would say they started July 1st.

However this fellow experienced the same thing: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=180662

How do I correct this? I was thinking of re-doing the soil as they are a little nute locked and adding one or two solar walkway lamps. Is this enough light to revert the plants?

Any help would be much appreciated.

BT

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Early flowering

Early flowering

Ammonia vs nitrate forces early flowering.

Almost all organic nitrogen also causes early flowering.

So does stress.....

Are you in soil, medium or hydro?

plantingplants

Slownickel, could you cite some sources? That's interesting.

I'm going to say That solar walkway lights are not bright enough. I had $10 solar lights from Wal-Mart that were fairly bright LEDs and they didn't really do the trick.

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sources?

Sources?

You will have to hunt through some soil books to fit this together, but it goes like this.

Ammonia is a cation, nitrate is an anion. Electrical charges compete with each other, like using the two positive ends of a magnet against each other.

Given that ammonia is a cation, it competes with the other cations.

It is a known that when one uses nitrates, the plant can pick up 4 Calciums for every 2 Potassiums. When an ammonia source is used, this competition of the cations occurs and the result in the uptake of only 2 Ca for every 2 K. This causes the plant to mature due to the heavy uptake of K quickly in comparison to Ca. This causes flowering as the plant is under heavy K pickup that only happens with the plant is mature.

I have a single 100 W LED on one plant, about 2 feet away and it is on a 18/6 schedule. Pure calcium nitrate and heavy P using MKP along with micros, no sign of flower. I have already taken 4 side branches for cloning. It is approx. 5 weeks old.

Here we are in the winter, meaning high 50's at night, sometimes into the high 40's where I live. So far, no signs of flowering.

If your LEDs were not close enough You may very well be right.

If you read Beddoes book on Carey Ream Theories, Reams interpreted what we all learn in ag school that I regurgitated above. Until he explained what that really means, it was only another test question to be quickly forgotten.

I have grown watermelons, turning on and off flowering by growing out with nitrates, putting in ammonium sulfate for a couple of days resulting in heavy flowering. Then we would switch back to nitrates to get size up and then after 2 more weeks, go back to ammonia to get some more flowers for a second harvest. Once the plant set fruit, we would grow out another 2 weeks with nitrates and then switch to a 2:1 ammonia to nitrate plus amino acids. Those watermelons got a nice premium in the UK and Holland the winters of of 2012 and 2013. We sent out close to 200 containers that season under the Rancho Bravo label. Yields were excellent. The farmer made a small fortune.

How many hours are you running light? Turn the lights on 24 hours for a couple of days. How old are the plants?

Realize stress makes plants flower. Lack of enough light may be an issue as you mention. If you feel you are getting lock out, you better figure out why. Water, lights or nutrients? Can you apply some calcium nitrate? Do you have a conductivity meter? They are $35 in Amazon. Make sure you get some calibration liquid to go with it. If you do have one, what is the conductivity coming out the bottom when you water?

Do you know the conductivity of your water?

misterD

misterD farmhouse
Veteran
Hey,

It's not never seen brownout, it happen sometime when it's breed on early plant!

I cross a really early cali-o male back in time to a pretty early shiva mom, who start flowering generally early july outdoor! :D

Just let her go, you'll get some dank early september! :)

Last edited:

plantingplants

The $10 led solar lights are 15 lumens. Big difference between that and a 100w led. They were right underneath them.

So is nitrate beneficial during flowering since it encourages more calcium uptake?

Also, have you tried to 'turn off' flowering (are you you actually turning it off or just encouraging more veg growth during flowering?) in cannabis with the same method? Do you think that technique could be done through foliar spraying?

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
nitrate during flowering

nitrate during flowering

Seems like this plant will take quite a bit of nitrate. Doubtful if you can turn back the clock with just nitrate.

24 hours of good light for several days should make her go back to veg...

B

BAKED_BEANZ

are you experiencing very hot weather ? how is the soil temp ? a lot of people don't know this . but warm/ hot soil temps will force flower your plants . i,m not saying this is the case here .

there,s no pic so can,t say if your mulched or what and how advanced it is in flower

FoothillFarming

I am not sure what SlowNickel stated is true with canna plants. At least I have never seen evidence of this growing organic outdoors for decades. Not talking crap, or even saying he is wrong, just that I don't think it's the case based of past experience.

If somebody can figure out how to flower a plant on purpose on July 1st without tarps, let me know. That way I can avoid Oct temps and rain. I would flower my outdoor ladies right now without hesitation, get in before the rush.

I do know of a guy, who is a friend of a guy, who knows somebody type of thing. So take this with a grain of salt. Supposedly, there is a product already made and being tested that you just water in, and the plants start to flower. The theory that I know is, canna plants produce a toxin when they start getting more and more darkness. Once that toxin is at a certain level, the plant begins flower. The product is that toxin. I am sure I am using the wrong terminology, such as toxin, but you guys get the point.

As for why the plant is flowering? The main cause for early flowering is stress. So it could be hot soil temps, root bound, starving, or just getting too much shade. Genetics even. I would imagine Hawaiian phenos would flower in July.......Makes sense right?

conradino23

It's impossible that cannabis starts flowering due to excess of ammonia or other form of nitrates as it is to the lack of it. It's a photoperiodic plant and unless it's an auto (doublecheck that) there are two ways it's possible: via genetics or via environmental factors like force flowering or weather stress, heat, rain, wind or cold. Mine usually start stretching in early August on 45N, but there are varieties that do it in July. It's not a neccessarily bad thing, actually I'd be quite happy.

self

how long have they been outside? did you just move them out from a longer indoor light cycle? If so,they should come mostly around just in time to start flowering for real.
You can try spraying with kelp or alfalfa teas. the growth hormones contained therein may reverse the early flowering. I always stop spraying these when I am within a few weeks of expected flowering so I dont delay flowering onset.

HillMizer

You will have to hunt through some soil books to fit this together, but it goes like this.

Ammonia is a cation, nitrate is an anion. Electrical charges compete with each other, like using the two positive ends of a magnet against each other.

Given that ammonia is a cation, it competes with the other cations.

It is a known that when one uses nitrates, the plant can pick up 4 Calciums for every 2 Potassiums. When an ammonia source is used, this competition of the cations occurs and the result in the uptake of only 2 Ca for every 2 K. This causes the plant to mature due to the heavy uptake of K quickly in comparison to Ca. This causes flowering as the plant is under heavy K pickup that only happens with the plant is mature.

I have a single 100 W LED on one plant, about 2 feet away and it is on a 18/6 schedule. Pure calcium nitrate and heavy P using MKP along with micros, no sign of flower. I have already taken 4 side branches for cloning. It is approx. 5 weeks old.

Here we are in the winter, meaning high 50's at night, sometimes into the high 40's where I live. So far, no signs of flowering.

If your LEDs were not close enough You may very well be right.

If you read Beddoes book on Carey Ream Theories, Reams interpreted what we all learn in ag school that I regurgitated above. Until he explained what that really means, it was only another test question to be quickly forgotten.

I have grown watermelons, turning on and off flowering by growing out with nitrates, putting in ammonium sulfate for a couple of days resulting in heavy flowering. Then we would switch back to nitrates to get size up and then after 2 more weeks, go back to ammonia to get some more flowers for a second harvest. Once the plant set fruit, we would grow out another 2 weeks with nitrates and then switch to a 2:1 ammonia to nitrate plus amino acids. Those watermelons got a nice premium in the UK and Holland the winters of of 2012 and 2013. We sent out close to 200 containers that season under the Rancho Bravo label. Yields were excellent. The farmer made a small fortune.

How many hours are you running light? Turn the lights on 24 hours for a couple of days. How old are the plants?

Realize stress makes plants flower. Lack of enough light may be an issue as you mention. If you feel you are getting lock out, you better figure out why. Water, lights or nutrients? Can you apply some calcium nitrate? Do you have a conductivity meter? They are $35 in Amazon. Make sure you get some calibration liquid to go with it. If you do have one, what is the conductivity coming out the bottom when you water?

Do you know the conductivity of your water?

While some of the science here is solid, being able to clone in veg on 18/6 with those temps is no miracle of nutrition.
I keep hundreds if clones in veg with 15w mini fluorescents from costco on 16/8 routinely in early greenhouses using ONLY organic nitrogen. Is this not common practice? Live soil does have bacteria to convert NH4 to NO3.
It does come down to they got mad. You probably have an idea of one or more factors that effected it.
The stunted problem children are always first off the hill. When a plant has doubt in it's ability to stay healthy it wants to reproduce, very unscientific explanation

browntrout

Veteran
Plants have been outdoors for over a month, one seedling was started indoors and was thrown outside roughly May 20th. Outdoor seedlings started outdoors roughly May 10th.

There are no auto flowering traits as the much older indoor plant is flowering at the same time.

I think this is just the strain - see link in original post.

I think I will try and find a 30-70 lumen solar lamp. Apparently it does work.