What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

When to plant Outdoor sativa for different outces?

I know this isn't directly ACE relate but the people here are always very informative and helpful with quite a few sativa and growing gurus:thank you

In title I meant to sa "outcomes"

idiit

Veteran
big deal with the following: you should transplant if you have an indoor area 'cause it works a lot better until you get straight from seed planting down. many ppl say plant when they mean transplant.

i'm probably in a minority but this is an ace thread so we got lots of experienced growers that will hopefully chime in.

I just put some long flowering sativas ( finish nov., early december) clone moms out yesterday. they were in veg state with no preflowering showing. 36 degree n.

I've done this before with no ill effects preflowering wise.

this is very much against the mainstream consensus.

most growers are not growing pure late flowering sativas/polysativas. they are mostly growing faster indica influenced hybrids. the consensus from growers that grow indica influenced hybrids is correct.
_________________________________________________________________________________

I also have plenty more to go outside. if I lose some no biggy.

if you want to be careful I wouldn't transplant the late flowering sativas for another month. I need the room for other stuff.

transplanting is not the same as planting. I've grown straight from seed started outdoors as soon as the beans germinated 4/15 as well. works great. no photoperiod shock.

the photoperiod shock of transplanting from 24 hr. indoor to 13 hr. photoperiod outdoors very early spring can traumatize some strains. you also don't get a lot of extra growth by transplanting before middle may since the lumens are not all that bright in north/south of the equator latitudes. I use the early transplants to make room. also, the dirt is softer and already moist from winter rains.

from my experience once you get into june the furry critters are much more likely to dig up transplants. I don't usually have as many transplant losses due to critters digging out plants early in the year so I get much higher survival rates in my guerilla grows. I don't use cages as it's not practical in my guerilla grows for security reasons ( easily spotted by aerial surveillance) and logistics ( pain in the ass to bring in cages and also a security risk of being seen). I carry everything in for anywhere of a 1/2 to full mile).

i'd go may 15th unless you need to make room in your indoor area. of course that assumes you have the freezes over with at your grow areas.

I've heard a theory that the closer you plant up to solstice the more potent bud you get disregarding yield. Stoner sciece or some validity?

MadMac

far beyond driven...
high,
i just germinate my seed for outdoor mid march and than after full moon in may outdoors...
long flower sat's finish faster from clone... same timeframe...
i'm @ 51° N near Amsterdam...
M.:tiphat:

Terpene

I love the smell of cannabis in the morning
Veteran
high,
i just germinate my seed for outdoor mid march and than after full moon in may outdoors...
long flower sat's finish faster from clone... same timeframe...
i'm @ 51° N near Amsterdam...
M.:tiphat:

Madmac is (as always) spot on. :tiphat:

The biggest thing to pay attention to is day length in your area: http://www.timeanddate.com/sun/

Clones transplanted outside with 12.5 hours of daylight or less will tend to try and flower, then reveg and veg normally as the season gets longer through spring. It doesn't hurt anything, though if you go nuts and try to put clones or pre vegged semi-mature plants outside in say, February (for those of us in warm climates) the plant will flower instead of veg. I have been able to flower plants in Feb, then hack em back to the base shoots like a rose bush and veg them through the year, but some strains do better with this than others.

Which strains? The more equitorial the plant, the more it's willing to spring back to life in my experience - probably a result of the minimal daylight changes between winter/summer in tropical climates.

If you're planting seeds in dirt, mid March to late April will be fine as seedlings cant go directly into flower, the plant is "pre programmed" to veg a bit first. This minimum veg time will suck up the difference between mid and late spring and the plant will veg normally.

For transplanting mature-ish plants, mid May to early June is best. They'll go right into grow mode :)

Last edited:
B

blue_tick

i start ace seeds at end of march and straight outdoor once they have broke the surface in 2 gallon pots. no need to harden off or any of that stuff.they take off no problem. if height is an issue then plan accordingly. (i learn that the hard way lol)

madmac

idiit

good to see you guys hanging in there. been keeping an eye on your reports
season is upon us

stay safe and keep it green

I'm putting out Panama, don't want them huge for security reasons but do want to have them mature enough to pump out some potent bud, 32 north continental semi monsoon ample well water supply, 1000 meters altitude

Last edited:
I'll be germinating in cups outside and then transplanting into the garden, just wondering how y'all would handle it sorry about my language or lack of clarity