What's new

Testing after Isomerization

MEMED

Yupp redissolve it in etoh and c. It looks waxy. Filter slower, colder. then do it again with a fresh filter.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Plant waxes and other terpenes, flavanoids and anthro cyanins?

We winterized our oleoresin before isomerizing it.

snake11

Yes it is possible for isomerization to occur using short path. The spike after delta-8 is usually an isomer. Look at other short path results with high numbers and you will not see that spike. I've seen thc drop from 90% to 40% while that spike jumps huge. Keep your time in residence as short as possible.

A6 Grower

Veteran
Oh analytical, Isnt it great you can send in BHO that tests in the 80% range, short path it and it comes back in the 70's????.... I have this happen all the time. You can ask analytical but they just say your doing something wrong. When really my bet is they want to show higher numbers for BHO as its one of the main money makers for them. I ignore their potency for BHO, I use it as a starting point, i usually do 85% to 90% of what they say so if i get a test back and its 85% potency my guess is its really 72% to 76% as i usually remove about 10% to 15% when i winterize the same extract.

SleazyWolf

Plant waxes and other terpenes, flavanoids and anthro cyanins?

We winterized our oleoresin before isomerizing it.

I started with dry popcorn and frosty trim and just gave it all a quick hexane wash. Filtered with a 1.5u filter and then gave it 4-5 hexane/saltwater washes before isomerizing. I was hoping that hexane was selective enough and that with the saltwater wash, I could skip the freezing in ethanol. Just trying to save some time on the Rotovap.

Daub Marley

I started with dry popcorn and frosty trim and just gave it all a quick hexane wash. Filtered with a 1.5u filter and then gave it 4-5 hexane/saltwater washes before isomerizing. I was hoping that hexane was selective enough and that with the saltwater wash, I could skip the freezing in ethanol. Just trying to save some time on the Rotovap.
I think you may be confused. Isomerization is when the atoms on a molecule switch places.This does happen somewhat if too much heat is applied, strong acids, etc. Specifically Δ9THC turns into Δ8THC (which has about half the psychoactive activity) and some labs do not test for Δ8THC, so it can appear you have lost some THC in the process. I think you mean decarboxylation which is where the THC-acid molecule loses a CO2 molecule and becomes Δ9THC.

snake11

I think you may be confused. Isomerization is when the atoms on a molecule switch places.This does happen somewhat if too much heat is applied, strong acids, etc. Specifically Δ9THC turns into Δ8THC (which has about half the psychoactive activity) and some labs do not test for Δ8THC, so it can appear you have lost some THC in the process. I think you mean decarboxylation which is where the THC-acid molecule loses a CO2 molecule and becomes Δ9THC.

Analytical 360 tests for delta 8. The isomer that is made is one that they do not currently test for(see spike after delta 8 on his test result).

SleazyWolf

After filtering and doing the saltwater washes I still had my saturated hexane solution. I added Sulfuric Acid and refluxed for 1-2 hours before neutralizing, filtering, and finally the short path. Is that not Isomerization?

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Hexane readily extracts longer chain molecules, such as plant waxes.

You will get better results if you winterize it to remove the plant waxes, before isomerizing it. Ours came out perfect for stretching into long gossamer strands before breaking.

Attachments

• isomerize-2-1-1.jpg
    isomerize-2-1-1.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 9

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Isomerizing is typically used to convert the CBD present, into THC.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
After filtering and doing the saltwater washes I still had my saturated hexane solution. I added Sulfuric Acid and refluxed for 1-2 hours before neutralizing, filtering, and finally the short path. Is that not Isomerization?

Should do the trick, but as noted, I would add a winterizing step.

You might also do a QWET, mix it one thirds with Hexane and salt water, to allow the Hexane to steal away the cannabinoids, and then do your salt water wash. At least you would start out with less wax and it might save you a step.

Daub Marley

Ok my apologies. That is isomerizing just wanted to make sure we were on the same page. Why you would isomerize exactly? I could be wrong but doesn't it just move the molecule to the next entropic step ie convert CBD to THC or THC to CBN. Since most cannabis has mostly THC I don't understand why you would want to isomerize.