What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Poppy seeds...

Easy7

Veteran
No, opium poppies a highly illegal except seeds. It's bullshit to tell someone poppies are legal to grow, of the opium kind. Federally illegal and not legal in any state.

8 years plus bulk charge for every ten grams of plant matter, wet or dry in Ohio.

Just cause a trooper is stupid doesn't make opium plants legal, sorry!

Easy7

Veteran
The legal reason I say poppies that produce opium are illegal everywhere is cause opium is illegal everywhere. It's a manufacturing charge and all the plant matter (poppy straw) produces latex/opium so it's a manufacturing charge OF OPIUM.

Just cause it's not always prosecuted doesn't mean squat. Just cause grandma can say these are pretty flowers and she didn't know doesn't mean squat. Just cause it's not laced doesn't mean squat.

Fact is it is opium and the entire plant will be weighed wet as opium. Just like if word gets out you have san pedro, they can weigh the entire wet cactus as mescaline. Oddly, not every case of san pedro has led to a conviction, but some have. I wouldn't trust a lawyer to litigate these small perceptions of grey legal zone. Not with my freedom or someone else's

Treat plants that produce controlled substances as ILLEGAL and take precautions.

G.O. Joe

Veteran
Poppies were sold for flower arrangements because the law was not enforced, like the CBD laws are not enforced. Those selling the heads would be just like the CBD sellers telling you their product is totally legal. But even before the epidemic talk LE started coming down on the heads.

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
I will stay out whether and where it is illegal or not. Here where I live and grow it is OK as long as the intent is to sell or use the seeds, pods, and/or flowers for baking and/or decoration. Washington state has the same law as Alaska, these are the only two states I have direct evidence from.

The reasoning is the small amount of active chemical in the pods. To make a gram of usable opiate would take 250 pods, about twenty plants which take four months to mature. Growing enough to abuse would take a great many acres and a crew of workers. Addicts can use up to a half gram or more per day. This means hundreds of acres of garden would be necessary to support one person's habit.
Poppy fields cover thousands of square miles in the Golden Triangle where illegal opiates come from and more square miles cultivated in Tasmania for the legal supplies.
Home grown is not an option for this plant to be used as a source of drugs.

Meanwhile it has been another five days. The first month is a busy one for Poppy sprouts. They are taking on their characteristic Dandelion appearance. The wrinkly leaves resemble the Dandelion as does their spokes in a wheel circular arrangement. These leaves will continue to grow in this pattern for the first six weeks.

Assuming those reading this are familiar with marijuana growing and bud rooms I will mention a few differences other than the reverse lighting schedule.
No blurple, the amount of light needed for proper Poppy growth is about half again as much as MJ and red/blue do not carry enough energy to the inner leaf. HPS is difficult as the Poppies really like the blue spectrum, high altitude and sparse cloud cover. HPS combined with blurple may work, I use full spectrum as it is simpler than balancing the yellow/green HPS.

The most common problem among new Poppy growers is the sprouts lying on their sides the first week. They usually recover and I have seen advice saying this is normal.
No, it is not normal, it is from inadequate light. Half again MORE than budding marijuana is necessary.

Progress is going to remain similar for another month now that the leaves have assumed their shape and configuration.

Attachments

• Dandylion like growth will continue to eighteen inch diameter.jpg
    Dandylion like growth will continue to eighteen inch diameter.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 18
  • Averaging ten to fifteen pods per plant this container will have thirty to fifty poppy flowers.jpg
    Averaging ten to fifteen pods per plant this container will have thirty to fifty poppy flowers.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 30

Easy7

Veteran
Nah, it's like 14 good pods to get a gram of latex. The cops aren't going to a/b extract it anymore than with cacti.

There is something called a container law. The entire plant is manufacturing and or possession of the controlled substance. Unless specefically legislated otherwise.

Most people would't be able to tell one poppy from another. Still wouldn't grow them in my own property as poppies are a federal crime.

I grew a few poppies on probation, not realizing the gravity of a charge for those. The PO admired verbally my cacti, not knowing by the po they are mescaline bearing. Their ignorance is our reward.

blastfrompast

Veteran
Just careful with the harvesting side of things if you don't keep them in the pod form

I stopped growing poppies after i figured out a way to force 99% of latex out of the pods on a small scale(4-6 at a time), and even tho it has been YEARS...i can still remember that sweet taste and the nod it would give me..

I used to also like my poppy tea but again, stopped that a long time ago....

Amazing how fast u can develop a taste for it.

Thanks for all the replies.
I got a pretty good pull from my Black Carnations, even after some loss due to open windows. It's about time to get some started in the cold room just to see what happens. I'll be growing 4 strains this year...
White (either peshawar or persian, I can't remember exactly)
Black Carnation (blooms all summer untul hard freeze in the fall)
Hen & Chicks (didn't like the earth box)
Blue Breadseed

It's not just addictive it's considered an essential plant for medical purposes by the WHO.

I wonder what they have to say about cannabis? Lol

Far as consumption goes...
I was told I had an allergic reaction to morphine while in the OR getting my hand reconstructed. I don't think I'll have any problems with these beautiful flowers. However, I know a few folks that won't get to enjoy their beauty because they know what they can do. Thanks for your concern. :)

leaddraft

Some correct comments here..
HEED the advice for around the SouthEast US..
-----------------
Catawba County man arrested for having an acre of opium poppies valued at $500 million

Read more here: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article152129627.html#storylink=cpy

I'm in Pain management..
Of course We folks are getting Our arses handed to us BECAUSE of the "Bad Actors"..
I'm off the "pharma Pills",, as I obtain 4 pounds of seeds per month, for "baking"....
Better effects than Pharma/Bakery stuff..
I'm gonna try my hand with some Blue Carnation poppies next spring.
Lovely Flowers they are..

Easy7

Veteran
Ya they weigh it all wet and make it sound like it's pure heroin.

And they wonder why nobody respects the law?

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
Police officers have quite an amount of discretion in the performance of their duties. The officer responding to my poisoned cat complaint could have decided my Poppies were for consumption rather than ornamental, but he did not.
Attitude is a factor. The officer stated outright that if I had been an asshole about the situation then he would have made a different decision.
The man growing the Poppies mentioned in the previous post had been growing the Poppies for some years without a problem until he was caught with instructions for extraction and abuse. The years he only sold the seeds were OK.

One month old now, not much change. The diameter of the leaves is greater and the resemblance to Dandelions is also greater. Root structures are different or I would believe the plants are related.
When the stems appear all resemblance to Dandelions is gone, the stems will grow out of the leaves themselves instead of the center of the plant.

Attachments

• One month along under about 1200 watts of full spectrum.jpg
    One month along under about 1200 watts of full spectrum.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 42
  • One month old, one to go before light schedule change.jpg
    One month old, one to go before light schedule change.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 28

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
The policy of ICMag is not to encourage felony lawbreaking by posts advocating the use of or facilitating the use of narcotics.

Much information I have gathered falls under those contraindicated guidelines. I like it here and am only addressing the difficulties indoor growing presents.

One of the major obstacles is the sheer amount of energy required, six kilowatt hours of electricity per equivalent milligram of yield.
Marijuana gives one hundred times the yield for the same input, 160 grams versus .16 grams.
Home grown indoor poppies are a curiosity, not a commercial product.
Further lighting problems will be highlighted when the pods become erect and extend more than a foot above the leaves, causing the pods to burn under artificial lighting. Later pictures will demonstrate this.

Meanwhile, the long filaments of root have reached the bottom of the containers and are curling up. The 12" deep container has about a 10% growth advantage over the 9" container. In the past I have found roots extending over 4' and they probably went further, most are finer than human hair.

Still looking like Dandelions, the Poppies are sucking up energy as if it's their birthright.

Attachments

• Five weeks and will continue to look like a Dandelion for another three weeks.jpg
    Five weeks and will continue to look like a Dandelion for another three weeks.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 32
  • Three Poppies in 18 inch by 9 inch container.jpg
    Three Poppies in 18 inch by 9 inch container.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 29
  • Single Poppy in 12 inch by 12 inch container.jpg
    Single Poppy in 12 inch by 12 inch container.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 30

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
I started a few plants inside a few years back and put them outdoors at the beginning of June. Overnight frosts happen into the first week of June so the season is too short to plant Poppies in the ground.

The bumble bee picture was included because the bees seemed to like the pods and ignore the flowers.

I had an acquaintance try greenhouse growing for a few seasons. He harvested several hundred plants at a time until the FBI used his garden as leverage for testimony in another case. Powerful incentive to talk with a twenty year felony hanging in the balance.
Intent is often at the discretion of the officer in charge.
He no longer grows Poppies, good decision.

Attachments

• Two months indoor veg, one month outside over solstice.jpg
    Two months indoor veg, one month outside over solstice.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 12 on, 12 off at 84 F indoors all their life.  Bang! 90 degrees and raw sunshine during solstice.jpg
    12 on, 12 off at 84 F indoors all their life. Bang! 90 degrees and raw sunshine during solstice.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 27
  • Flowers do not attract, just the pods.jpg
    Flowers do not attract, just the pods.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 25

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
Meanwhile, back in the bud room...

The Dandelion leaves have over run the edges of the 12" single container and the extra wrinkly leaves that will later develop stems have made their appearance.
These new leaves will grow several inches then a tightly coiled center will extend into a stem with a single flower at the end.
Lots of healthy green wrinkled and knobby leaves means lots of flowers, and each flower has a seed pod as a center.
The garden's personal best is 40 flowers in a single container, single plants top out around 25, not many singles were grown so the number is not exact.

The wrinkly leaves are a good sign, right on time. Three weeks to flowers will make the veg time two months even.
Flowering to dry seeds should be another two months after that.

Nothing new will happen until the stems get long right between Christmas and New Year's.

Attachments

• Wrinkly little leaves will develop stems.jpg
    Wrinkly little leaves will develop stems.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 25
  • Three in a single container make smaller plants but more flowers.jpg
    Three in a single container make smaller plants but more flowers.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 31
  • By the time stems develop the Dandelion leaves will obscure the bucket edge.jpg
    By the time stems develop the Dandelion leaves will obscure the bucket edge.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 36

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
It is new year's day and still no stems. The leaves are standing straight up and no longer resemble Dandelions.
The leaves the stems and flowers will grow from are all standing tall in the center. These are the leaves with the wrinkly fractal edges, each will grow a stem with a bright red and white Danish Flag pattern.
Dwarf Danish Flag is the official name, developed as an ornamental with profuse flowers. Its lineage just happened to be Tasmanian as that was where the white cross came from.
Seeds are readily available online. Seeds produced from flowers are dark tan, rather than black, with a sweeter taste.

The photos show the leaves standing up in the large (7 gallon) and small (3.5 gallon) containers.
The large container should have about 70 flowers while the small is expecting 20 to 30.

Red photos are full 1500 watts, blue photos have almost all the red turned off. Trying for an elusive happy medium.

A new year, a fortuitous beginning.

Attachments

• Too bushy for easy watering, guessing over 70 flowers coming.jpg
    Too bushy for easy watering, guessing over 70 flowers coming.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 37
  • Too many stems coming to count, this will be a riot of bright red with white crosses, Danish Fla.jpg
    Too many stems coming to count, this will be a riot of bright red with white crosses, Danish Fla.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 28
  • Smaller container is expecting 20 to 30 'Danish Flag' red and white flowers.jpg
    Smaller container is expecting 20 to 30 'Danish Flag' red and white flowers.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 29
  • Overhead photo shows the 'fractal' leaves the stems will grow from.jpg
    Overhead photo shows the 'fractal' leaves the stems will grow from.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 29

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
Planted at the end of October, the flower pods have shown up in the middle of January.

The flower petals are inside the waterproof clamshell, when large enough to no longer fit the shell pops in halves and the petals unfold like a butterfly out of a cocoon.
It is really pretty for the few days before the petals drop and the seedpod turns upside down.
Before turning upside down most pods will shoot up another foot, putting the seedpod itself way too close to the light. The growlights are at an angle around the plants to allow for this upward growth without burning the seeds.

Attachments

• Higher energy side lighting for non marijuana crop.jpg
    Higher energy side lighting for non marijuana crop.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 24
  • Full protection until the petals are mature.jpg
    Full protection until the petals are mature.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 30
  • The pod goes upside down after flowering.jpg
    The pod goes upside down after flowering.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 25
  • The Dwarf Danish Flag strain produces over 20 pods per plant, three plants in this container.jpg
    The Dwarf Danish Flag strain produces over 20 pods per plant, three plants in this container.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 37

Latest posts

Latest posts