When the first batches of pollinated plants were ready in summer, the were chopped, stripped and introduced to Tim's new creation: The De-seed-a-tron 3000 v2.0
You perhaps wouldn't imagine it at first, but de-seeding in mass, has actually been a big and tricky process to figure out.
In winter we spent 12 hour days sat at our dining table for what felt like an eternity de-seeding several tents worth of buds, needless to say, it was a very labourious and monotonous process, we didn't want to repeat anytime soon!. When it came to summer time and tents were replaced with greenhouses' worth of buds to de-seed we were really scratching our heads about what to do.
We tried to think how on earth the big companies do it, it either had to be whole groups of people employed doing it by hand the same way as us.., or it was a mechanised process.
neither of those were really a viable option as expense and security is always a concern.
We had done all this processing shortly before Spannabis, so at Spannabis in Barcelona, we tentatively asked some questions to seed companies who had stands. (Not knowing if it was a trade secret people would keep close to their chests or not) Two people that we discussed the process with were Scott from Rare Dankness who we met at a friends house briefly, and Eric from Humbolt Seeds. (both good guys!)
We borrowed some ideas from each of them and settled on a method of our own to use when the next seed harvest was due.
There is a lot of work here for two guys, so any methods we can employ to speed up processes and our efficiency are a complete godsend.
So if anyone is interested to see, here's a brief step by step of what we do. I'll try and get my best Blue Peter style of writing on
Step 1) Plants with visibly mature seeds (lower and upper buds are checked) are brought onto the outside table. Here they are stripped of all fan leaves apart from ones with traces of resin on. The buds are then snipped off the plants and go into a work bag, and on to a drying tray shortly after.
For display purposes here they were placed onto a large paella dish! It may not look like much, but here is the seeded wet flowers from around 16 AF females.
Step 2) Dry until buds are dry and crumble very easily. inside and out they must be dry! Over dried in comparison to usual curing and then smoking practices.
They will look like this:
and here is a close up of the buds containing mature seeds:
Step 3 - (sorry no image) The buds are placed into a 110 micron bubble bag, and are crushed by hand so to not damage seeds until we have a fine green powder. this is done over a large glass table so any crystals that make there way through the bag can be scraped with a credit card and saved to be pressed at a later date.
Step 4 - Introduce your crushed product to a de-seed-a-tron! It is wooden framed with aluminium mosquito mesh attached, and angled so the seeds roll down into a collection pot. It has a hinged top panel where the powdered greenery is sprinkled on to, gravity lets the seeds roll down whilst the plant matter sticks to the mesh and is then tipped into a collection tray, a small handful works best otherwise the mesh gets clogged and seeds are trapped.
to be continued...