What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Purging winterized BHO

prune

Veteran
We purge ethanol in thin films under vacuum, using a hotplate inside the vacuum chamber, using a 6" Petri dish and 115F. As long as the film is kept thin enough, all that is necessary is to keep track of bubble production, so that we know when to stop.

In super thin films, decarboxylation also happens faster, so it is important to remove it from the hot plate when the large irregular bubbles stop and only the small fizzy bubbles remain, so as to retain it in carboxylic acid state.

I might posit that it is the vacuum that is accelerating the decarboxylation process (instead of film depth), as it also seems to hasten the CBN conversion rate...

gunnaknow

If I had to guess prune, I think that GW meant that it decarboxylates faster in thin films because the surface area that's directly exposed to the vacuum and the hot plate is increased. Good thinking, GW. Or perhaps you meant something else?

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I might posit that it is the vacuum that is accelerating the decarboxylation process (instead of film depth), as it also seems to hasten the CBN conversion rate...

An interesting theory? Would you explain how that might work?

What I was trying to say, is that in a thin film, the solvent bubbles excape easier and faster, but decarboxylation also happens quicker, because it is thinned out and fewer molecules thick to decarboxylate.

I consistently end up with carboxylic acid when I purge young material with vacuum instead of heat. If vacuum is creating CBN from THC, where is the initial THC coming from?

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If I had to guess prune, I think that GW meant that it decarboxylates faster in thin films because the surface area that's directly exposed to the vacuum and the hot plate is increased. Good thinking, GW. Or perhaps you meant something else?

No that is pretty much it. A higher percentage of the oil is directly exposed to the heat in thin films. That means you have to be paying close attention to the bubbles to stop at exactly the right point.

FouRtwizzle

My 2nd attempt at amber is currently underway.
3g's of wax hash made with n-butane & 30ml of 99% ISO solution is currently in the freezer for 24 hours.
I'll post the results and pics here.

Do you think 24 hours is enough time?
Do you think 170*f is hot enough to boil off the ISO?
I'm planning on keeping my temp around 115*f and it should max out just under 170* under max vacuum.
Will a standard dial thermometer operate properly inside the vacuum under 27hg?
I'm assuming I can't not achieve 29+hg in high altitude.

I really like the idea of using oil instead of water. I think the steam from the water can make it back into your dish making the purge take longer...

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
24 hours seemed to be adequate from our experimentation.

170F won't boil off the ISO at atmospheric pressure, but it will speed evaporation. Iso boils at 82.5C/181F.

Not sure what you are saying regarding 115F maxing out just under 170????????????

We use a laser thermometer. A bourdon tube gauge may not like the vacuum.

You can only achieve 29.9" Hg vacuum at sea level and standard temperature. As altitude increases, absolute pressure falls.

FouRtwizzle

Thanks for the data gray wolf!

I was thinking that if I started off with a temp of 115f it would rise to 170 under the vac.

I'm going to pick up a laser temp gauge today.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks for the data gray wolf!

I was thinking that if I started off with a temp of 115f it would rise to 170 under the vac.

I'm going to pick up a laser temp gauge today.

The temperature won't rise as the result of vacuum, but the boiling points will drop so that the alcohol boils at a lower temperature.

Good idea on the laser pyrometer! Lots faster than an emersion thermocouple.

Dirt Bag

I recently tried to winterize 5 grams of wax i picked up at a local shop.

After freezing the solution for 24 hours, I removed 1.9 grams of plant waxes and other matter. I was left with 3.1 grams of final product.
I got the temps too high and lost a lot of terps but its real potent.
I'm looking forward to improving my tech and making a true absolute that will test in the90's ofTHC content!

Here are some pics.

The images with the coffee filter and the parchment paper are the plant waxes which I removed.

View Image

View Image

View Image

View Image

View Image

Great looking color, but that razor blade is a hot mess. There has to be a better way. 🤔