Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Talk About It! > General Gardening > jade vine (Strongylodon Macrobotrys)

Thread Title Search
Click for great deals at MB Ferts
jade vine (Strongylodon Macrobotrys) Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-20-2013, 01:29 AM #41
Persephone

Persephone is a jewel in the roughPersephone is a jewel in the roughPersephone is a jewel in the roughPersephone is a jewel in the roughPersephone is a jewel in the roughPersephone is a jewel in the roughPersephone is a jewel in the rough

Old 06-21-2013, 12:03 AM #42
cutant

cutant will become famous soon enough
Already working on it!
cutant is offline Quote

Old 06-28-2013, 11:48 PM #43
cutant

Dill how are things going?

Persephone - my post count is over 25!
cutant is offline Quote

Old 06-29-2013, 05:43 PM #44
dill786

dill786 is a jewel in the roughdill786 is a jewel in the roughdill786 is a jewel in the roughdill786 is a jewel in the roughdill786 is a jewel in the roughdill786 is a jewel in the rough
hey man,

well they are still brown but not withering away... i gave them a slight tug and felt resistance so i am still not sure... i taken one out gently and saw small white bubbles near the base were i stripped the bottom of the stem, but i am still not certain if they will root..
dill786 is offline Quote

Old 06-29-2013, 10:27 PM #45
cutant

It's early to have roots clearly visible. The usual time one has to allow is 6 - 8 weeks under normal conditions (that is no under heating and not outside the growing season). Tugging a cutting to check for resistance is not used anymore. It is unpredictable and can easily damage the fine roots. Try removing soil with a teaspoon an inch away from the stem. Keep digging slowly until you reach the base. At 8 weeks you should see fine roots spreading out from the base. I know it takes more time but it is a test with definite results and you do not damage roots or lose cuttings.
cutant is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:04 AM #46
Persephone

Persephone is a jewel in the roughPersephone is a jewel in the roughPersephone is a jewel in the roughPersephone is a jewel in the roughPersephone is a jewel in the roughPersephone is a jewel in the roughPersephone is a jewel in the rough

Old 06-30-2013, 11:32 AM #47
cutant

hi Persephone,

I need 50 post to receive and send PM's - just checked to site regulations. Oh well patience is a virtue! Plenty of them to get there. Tnx for keeping in touch.
cutant is offline Quote

Old 07-04-2013, 04:17 PM #48
dill786

dill786 is a jewel in the roughdill786 is a jewel in the roughdill786 is a jewel in the roughdill786 is a jewel in the roughdill786 is a jewel in the roughdill786 is a jewel in the rough
i checked some out today, and i think around half a dozen cuttings are not going to root at all. however i still have more in other pots...
dill786 is offline Quote

Old 07-04-2013, 05:35 PM #49
cutant

Well if you are so sure you can do either of 3 things -

try your luck and leave the cuttings in the pots,

chose one of the cuttings that appears to be a goner and cut right through the stem towards the base - if it is going brown you can get rid of the whole lot that looks like it,

Or you can just go ahead and get rid of all the dying cuttings.

If you have time and patience go for the second option. If not just throw away what looks to be gone. It is important to get rid of dead or dying stuff to avoid mould that will attack the live cuttings.

Unfortunately the fact remains that growing new plants from cuttings is a hit an miss, with science behind it sure enough but also with a large dose of luck. Still I am hopeful for you that you will manage to get some rooted cuttings. The jade vine is on record to be easy to grow from cuttings.

Keep us posted and best of luck!
cutant is offline Quote

Old 07-07-2013, 11:38 AM #50
cutant

If it is of any help, I am posting some more information on propagating this vine. I managed to get this from another discussion group:

Cuttings...it helps to do them in the spring or autumn, use fairly hard tips about 35 cm-45 (14-18") long...use spray-on antitranspirants and gel-type rooting compounds under intermittent mist or bagged. While they will root in 10 days or so under warm moist conditions, they are vexingly prone to dying
after that...even up to the point where they have been transplanted into a pot.

Powdered rooting compounds such as Rootex are not really a good option. Success rate for finished, saleable plants will range from zero (not unusual) to about 25% when the Gods are smiling on you. You can have had nearly 100% success rate for root growth on batches of thick, green stem cuttings only to lose
the whole lot within a month.

One can occasionally get an errant basal stem to root by old-fashioned layering - just place a 5-7 cm section of older stem in a pot filled with a loose, moist medium and cover the stem with a cm or so of the mix while keeping the forward section of the stem decumbent; check for roots every month or so and then cut the stem when the pot is well-filled with them.

Be sure and remove dried leaves as they drop from the stems to avoid accumulations of decomposing matter around the base of the stems.
Mature terminal stem sections that have recently hardened-off root much easier than either woody stems or very new growth, which is almost hopeless.
Like many large vining tropical Fabacs, these critters HATE having their roots disturbed.
viable seed germinates almost instantly and one has a 2 m tall vine in very, very, short order.
cutant is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.