What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Vietnamese Black / Meao Thai

sweet-emotion

Veteran
Cheers for the review, Sweet-Emotion. :tiphat:

I found VBxT's high a bit cloudy and introspective for the first several
weeks after harvest/drying. After a couple of months though, her high
got clearer and her saliva energy expressed herself through my whole
body- not in the classic diaphragm-tightening way, but in an all-over
kind of energy. Vape a bit too much and the sensation I got I'd describe
simply as overwhelming.

Try to set some aside for a good curing and you may be surprised at
the change in high.

saliudos

Thanks mate!...I'll do it and test if the high gets better and better, -specially after 2 or 3 months after harvest-, as some say it usually happens with this kind of sativa ladies. :tiphat:

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi all...here's what happened with this herb...

1) my brother said it hit him almost instantly and found it a little bit overwhelming and promoting a cloud of thoughts all mixed up in his head. He also said it was one of the strongest cannabis I've grown. He really liked it.

2) My experience: 3 or 4 tokes, hit me inmediately. I was sitting drinking a glass of wine and had to stand up and walk around the room (I was there with friends) cause it was pretty overpowering and had me a couple of times thinkin "this is fucking strong". I felt like it's a high that comes in waves, but it's not that at any moment you feel like it has finished, you're still high thinkin you're coming down slowly and then...booom...again out there trying to control yourself. All this in a good way, not one bad feeling at all.
At one moment with one of my friends we were playing air guitar while listening to some music and thought we were in tv set cause we saw ourselves in a big mirror on the other side of the room. (My friend had taken some LSD and said he had never been so high).

One crazy thing about the smoke is that the buds have a very light and strange smell, but burnt and smoked it's a very sweet odor, so sweet I couldn't believe it.

To finish, a great smoke, very up and if you indulge, overwhelming, overpowering and heavy, it lasts and lasts. One advice: DO NOT MIX WITH ALCOHOL. I drank a whole bottle of Malbec wine and...well, do not mix with alcohol.

Cheers

Thanks for the smoke report sweet emotion and LowFalutin :) Sounds like a strong stimulant trippy sativa experience, the type of smoke is so hard to find nowadays .... i'm glad you find it a challenging experience but without unpleasant effects.

therevverend, i'm glad you have had good germination rates with your old VB Thai lot :yes:

PunkAssWeed, Zamaldelica x VB Thai sounds like a very promising cross.

tebos, both have the potential to produce quite similar effects, but my guess is Double Thai has a clearer energetic effect and VB Thai more potency in average.

Best wishes for all!

B

bringyalungs

@dubi where can I get the vietnam black thai? and is it the same viet black used in orient express with same thai from zamaldelica? ace seeds does not carry any more? is this temp out of stock or discontinued... side thought... congolese x zamal would be nice too

Ras Pablo

Veteran
I remember an orange Vietnam pheno that was sublime! like sour orange taste with the classic dark wood taste, for me one of the best Thai hybrids.

@dubi where can I get the vietnam black thai? and is it the same viet black used in orient express with same thai from zamaldelica? ace seeds does not carry any more? is this temp out of stock or discontinued... side thought... congolese x zamal would be nice too

i'm also interested in the VBxT, or just the BV

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran

Hi Mesosphere,

Vietnam Black Thai was released around 2008-2009 as limited edition, it's a discontinued line right now, although one of my favourite thai hybrids.

The Vietnam Black mother is the same parental plant used for Orient Express. The thai male was the same male we used for the other thai hybrids: Haze x Thais, Golden Tiger and Zamaldelica.

therevverend

Veteran
Outside my Viet/Thai have sexed. One tiny naughty one even released a couple male flowers which I don't need this time of year. Out of 5 I found 2 keepers hacked the other 3 males.
Which leaves two females probably the largest and most vigorous of the bunch.
The weather is cool and marine right now so I'm worried about mildew. Just preflowers now so I have a long way to go. Will move them inside or to a sheltered location in two weeks.

l33t

Veteran
if thats the same viet black as the one I tried back in 2007-2008(?) it is very nice and has the sativa qualities I like :) I found it tachycardic , a bit unconfortable but not really unpleasant, like electricity going through your body, not the weed you want to smoke and chill ou,t really. And very nice antidepressive high.

In fact I am smoking a greek landrace sativa at the moment that has all the nice sativa qualities like "sweet-emotion" describes. It has the smallest mature seeds I have ever seen.

Have phun:)

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi l33t :)

How are you doing friend ? Your visit brings good memories, we indeed smoked a lot of different things, hard to remember all in detail :D

Honestly i don't find Vietnam Black mother unpleasant or unconfortable. Our Vietnam Black mother has a very warm expansive, clear yet relaxed type of sativa effect, it's the type of effect i've tried to breed in Orient Express hybrid (but with shorter flowering time).

I think the one you felt more scary was the malawi killer ... do you remember her ? I still miss the Kalinga jasmine from that year.

Would love to experience and know more about your local greek sativas.
Hope life is bright on your side! Take care and hopefully see you again in upcoming fairs!

Skunkbeard

Dubi, I just picked up some Vietnam Black x Thai... are the beans on the 'tude five years old then? Or is this a new seed batch?

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi Skunkbeard,

We did a smaller VB Thai reproduction in late 2011, so your stock is from more early 2012.

This stock has been/is available through a few wholesalers/retailers but is about to finish at the moment, and there are no plans to produce more in short term. There are a few seed shops that still offer this last packs.

Hope it helps and good luck with your pack!

Skunkbeard

Wonderful, thanks for detailed response dubi. I'll post some pictures in a couple months when things get a little more interesting.

therevverend

Veteran
My two Black VietnameseXThai I started in July are finally frosting and fattening up. Moved them inside under a 400 Watt HPS in mid October. Worked out perfectly they had a month to start flowering outdoors but didn't mold because they were in early flowering. I could sex them so I only moved in female plants.
picture.php

picture.php

The first pheno seems very Thai even though I've never grown Thai before. The running foxtail flowers give it away. Nice subtle sweet smell. Plenty of resin there.
Pheno 2 I assume is Viet dominate although I've never grown Black Vietnamese before. Looks like it'll turn purple before it's over. Wider leaves skunkier hashy smells along with a sharp rankiness.
picture.php

picture.php

Super frosty with an almost Indica growth pattern and very compact buds. It could almost fool me into thinking it's Indica but the exotic ranky pungent smells gives it away.
Pheno 2 brought powdery mildew indoors, I've kept it from spreading to the bud sites so far. They have thrips and spider mites but by removing leaves and cool temperatures I've managed to keep them under control. Don't want to spray this close to harvest.
Both seem to be finishing fast I'm thinking one-two more weeks but these strains are new to me.

therevverend

Veteran
Didn't think I'd be doing an update so quick but things are frosting up.
Here's Pheno 2 the Viet Black leaning pheno
picture.php

And a bud shot close up. Getting frosty with a powerful smell. Stinking up the room.
picture.php

I took this picture of Pheno 1 for all the people who think Thai strains or Ace sativas don't get very frosty.
picture.php

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi therevverend,

The flowers of the first pheno look indeed very classic sativa, more thai. The second one looks closer to Vietnam Black mother. Thanks for the updates! ;)

therevverend

Veteran
Thanks dubi, I've never grown a 100% SE Asian so I was guessing but I was sure I was right. The smell of pheno 1, the Thai type, is a lovely floral smell I've found in a lot of California hybrids. I've heard from several breeders they used Thai at some point in their lines. So I identify the terpenes now, a lot of outdoor I've grown has that smell. The Thai's smell is both lighter and clearer without any other notes. Just that beautiful floral ganja flower smell.
picture.php

picture.php

The scent reminds me of roses and other pleasant smelling flowers. No pungent off odors at all.
The second pheno, the Black Viet, is very pungent. Ranky almost garlicky I can't describe exactly what it smells like. The Digiberry F2 from Verdant I grew last summer smelled like it though even ranker. DJ Short Blueberry has that scent, definitely not blueberry. The structure is more compact and the leaves are wider and darker. I thought it would turn purple or black maybe in the next few days it will.
picture.php

picture.php

Pheno 1 is finished. Pheno 2 has a few more days.
Outdoors and indoors with strains I don't know, I harvest slowly over a couple of weeks. A branch here, a branch there. I sample for how the smells and terpenes change from immature and greeny to mature and ripe.
I've learned a lot about how to tell when ganja is ripe, don't go by clear/cloudy or hair color. I go by calyx swelling, smell, and overall appearance. Pheno 1 smells and looks perfect Pheno 2 smells good but doesn't look quite finished.
I'll take some trimmed and dried pictures they look very different. I haven't grown ganja that looks like it since the mid 90's. Been missing the real narrow leaf types sick of people saying hybrids are sativas and marketing it as such. They are nothing alike.

therevverend

Veteran
Harvest day for the Thai pheno. Things have fattened and frosted up. Here's the top.
picture.php

picture.php

In the close up you can see a nanner, probably the only one on the entire plant.
Here's a shot of a lower limb next to a paper towel roll for scale.
picture.php

Has a lovely floral smell. Been really enjoying my early testers of both types. The Thai pheno is so smooth, I probably wouldn't enjoy it much in my younger days. Now I really like it, I don't have any of the burned out feeling I get when I smoke most types all day long.
picture.php

picture.php

Texan

So many nice pictures of thai plants. Great work.

I tried growing a few SE Asian Sativas outdoors this year but I was not lucky and lost my crop.