What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Vietnamese Black / Meao Thai

SolarLogos

Put a V on the ones that showed black highlights, a T on the green likely Thai dominate. Here's a pic of the best green one.

View Image

Two decent green, two decent black, and one scrag. Most likely I'll cull the scrag or give it away. No room for slow growers. I could complain about limited selection but at least I've got different phenotypes.

No just popped them straight in my mix. I was going to at least soak them in peroxide but I had family in town and got distracted. I've found creating good conditions, using a heat mat, is the most important part of getting seeds to sprout. Unless they're ten years old or more then I'd have to try something extra. The only seeds that didn't sprout at all were old ((Sage x Sweet Diesel) x Gold Mendocino)). I'll have to try something extra if I'm going to get them to sprout and I might. That could be a great strain. I used an organic soil mix from the store with a few goodies added. Lightened it quite a bit to make it a seedling mix. It's got wood in it which annoys me. Now it's looking washed out because I've had a typical NW spring, lots of torrential downpours.

It's affected some plants more then others, causing some to look a little weather beaten. I've noticed a slug bite or two. Normally the slugs never range into my seedling area but it's been so wet they can access it. Probably won't do anything about it because it's not much damage and it'll keep warming up and drying out which will get rid of them.

I've got quite a few purple strains this year, Original Looie, Grape Ape x Mendo Early Girl, Tripleberry, Purple Satellite, Grandaddy Purp x Querkle. We'll see who ends up as keepers. Here's a pic of a Purple Satellite.

View Image

GDP x Querkle

View Image

The cold has really brought out the colors. A favorite so far is the Grape Ape x Early Girl. She's a keeper, nice vigor.

View Image

You can see she's a little older then the others. Last of all I'll show the Bangi Haze, only have one this year. Another keeper, she's one of the most vigorous plants in the garden, I'm hoping she's a girl because she could get big.

View Image

Very round Indica type leaves. Once I get some real sun she'll really take off.
For those slugs, I've read that putting a shallow dish of beer out near your plants, slugs will go to it instead of your seedlings.
You've probably seen this or know this already, but Lester Beans has an outstanding thread on germinating old seeds. Maybe posting the link will help someone.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=360661

Thanks for the updates, this will be fun and exciting grow.
Peace, God bless

therevverend

Veteran
I'm in Washington state so slugs have always been a part of my life. As bored children we'd find all sorts of creatively cruel and entertaining methods to dispatch them. Slug baseball, salt, the beer bottles, stomping on them is the least creative, my favorite is getting some black cats around the 4th of July and blowing them up. For a small animal they have quite a bit of guts inside of them.

I can't say I harbor the malice I used to but when every salad head I grow is full of slug slime, slugs, slug shit, slug eggs, a slug nursery, I get frustrated. A lot of the time all I get is the heart which is usually slug free. With ganja, in the right situation they can cause some havoc. Many years ago when I was guerrilla farming we found our patch by the river loaded with slugs. I was cursing them and throwing them in every direction. My partner was more creative, he was impaling them on sticks he stuck in the ground around the plants as a warning to their friends.

I've seen good amounts of damage but I've never seen a plant killed by slugs. Small plants are at most risk but once they hit the growth spurt the slugs can't keep up. Plus I think the chemical factory kicks in and starts producing chemicals the slugs don't like. I've never seen a mature plant have more then a bite or two gone.

The beer bottle technique works great, the problem is that there are too many. The bottle fills with slug slime and dead slugs while more are living their entire lives in my lettuce and cabbage heads. Another good method is Iron Phosphate pellets, the safest slug killer I can find. Doesn't hurt the animals and breaks down into fertilizer. It doesn't work well when it's rainy because the pellets dissolve. When it starts drying out it works all right. The problem again is too many slugs.

My plants in jeopardy are my volunteers out in the garden. The rest of my plants are safe, besides the bite or two there hasn't been any more damage. The volunteers are young and succulent, perfect for slugs. There should be a few rain-free days coming up. I'm going to surround them in sand and diatomaceous earth. Slugs won't cross the barrier. The rain washes it out but if it's dry it rips open their bellies. I feel bad, I'm fond of my little mollusk buddies but my garden isn't for their enjoyment.

I transplanted the biggest Viet/Thais yesterday. The biggest one, Thai dominate, had a huge wad of healthy roots blowing out the container. I couldn't believe it, for the size of the plant I didn't expect roots like that. Only 2 sets of true leaves. Now I'm glad I transplanted it when I did.

Koondense

Veteran
I was going through my seed stash yesterday and found a long lost seed of Tikal X VBxT, the last of many I gave away some years ago. So it's an older Tikal and probably the old VBxT release, who knows what will come out.
Saving it for one of my future pollen chucking experiments :)

Cheers

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Going through my seed collection I noticed my Vietnamese Black x Thai pack was getting old. Dated July 25th 2011. I was saving them for indoor or at least indoor/outdoor because they'll be a tough finish in the PNW. I decided to go for it, planted them all.

Haven't counted them but I'm pretty sure 5 out of 6 came up. This is why I like Ace, after 8 years that's not a bad fertility rate.

Hi therevverend :)

So nice to see you managed to germinate our old Vietnam Black/Thai limited edition release. :)

Based on the packing date you mention, must be the original F1 release, i hope so because the original F1 was absolutely fire!

I should revisit the F1 again ...i'm always too busy with new projects. Hope you find enough interesting plants to continue with the breeding of this interesting line.

romanoweed

hey dubi eventually was the outcrossing Vigor, wich disapeared in further Generations, or did you use an outcross at the end in all relases? Is common practise in food-plants to perform outcross at the end. you shure know, just wanted tell it

And sometime i would find it soo cool if breeders would actully relase the last breeding parents, so that people could reproduce them, and get ahold of it.
That way, if you sell the last cross made from bredder, its less attractive to make Seeds, cause probably you would have to select to do this well.. But with that outcrosing vigour people would have an easier Task when preserving. Probably one day thats the reality.
Just saying, but im shure that wouldnt sell that well still today, and full understanding you wanna earn something, atleast enough. but your work would survive somewhere.

therevverend

Veteran
Based on the packing date you mention, must be the original F1 release, i hope so because the original F1 was absolutely fire!

Sweet! I remember when I grew them indoors a couple few years ago they were lovely plants. The larger ones are showing nice vigor, I tranplanted them from their weak seedling mix to a much richer mix for young growing plants. I noted earlier the strong root system, I like plants like that. Growing from the bottom up is my term for it, I get frustrated by seedlings that are always tipping over and threatening to dampen off. Later I believe that plants with strong stalks and roots are hopefully less likely to get whipped around and damaged in a storm.

I mentioned the runt earlier, I'm glad I didn't cull it. She's still far behind her siblings but is showing unique traits. This is why I'm hesitant about culling young plants, in the first two months of life it's hard to guess what the plant will do in flowering. The other seedlings have lost their purplish black markers, they look alike. Glad I labeled them. Except for the runt she's still obviously black. Her leaves are sharply serrated, much more so then her nursery mates.

picture.php

picture.php

She's an oddball, I'm guessing female. Notice how she's bent, coming out of the ground at a 45 degree angle. Normally I'd correct this, I like vertical stems but I think she's fine. The stem is a different color then Purple Satellite for instance. The Thai-like leaf serrations and colors have my attention.

Green

Veteran
Good luck Rev. I think anything that male Meow meow Thai touched was most excellent.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi romanoweed,

It depends on the breeding goals with each strain.

Indeed, many of our releases are F1 hybrids like Bangi Haze x Ethiopian, Congo x Kali China, Ethiopia x Malawi, Green Honduras Haze, Purple Honduras Haze, Guawi, Honduras x Panama, Malawi x Panama, Malawi x PCK, Panama Haze, Panama x Malawi, Purple Haze x Malawi, Thai Chi, Zamal Bliss, etc .... which display huge hybrid vigor and a very desirable blend of traits from both parental lines used to produce each F1 hybrid.

Other releases are poly hybrids like Killer A5 Haze, Super Malawi Haze, Zamaldelica, Zamaldelica x Kali China, etc ... which also display lots of heterosis and therefore hybrid vigor too.

Some of our releases are more or less inbred lines so they are more stabilized and they can be used with great success and with desirable predictability in new outcrosses. You can always take one of our inbred lines and cross it with a different strain of your choice to produce very vigorous new hybrids. Indeed our inbred sativa lines and perfect for that.

All the Thai hybrids (Vietnam Black Thai, first GT version, Zamal x Thai, Angola x Thai, Vietnam Nah Trang x Thai, Oldtimer's Haze x Thai) were produced in seed form in 2008 as F1 hybrids and they were still available as F1s until approx 2012. During 2012 i bred them further up to F2-F3 generations.

I would like to revisit both the F1s and the later inbred version of the Thai hybrids in a not so distant future. Now the priority is to reproduce first older landraces.

hey dubi eventually was the outcrossing Vigor, wich disapeared in further Generations, or did you use an outcross at the end in all relases? Is common practise in food-plants to perform outcross at the end. you shure know, just wanted tell it.

romanoweed

Yes dubi
does it actually meen dubb, like dub-music ?
yes thats actually truth. You relased many pure lines. I rather wanted to say you could advertise them also as possible parent.. And if they would bare multiple options of crosses you already where thinking of relasing to, even better. Like meao thai (or malawi wich was actuallyrelased pure) was seen in multile croses.. But advertise it as such a thing
PEACE

BenoitV1984

Veteran
Or you can try to bring their natural predators back in, that could work better... We can't/shouldn't compete with how nature is suppose to keep everything in balance. The massive decline in biodiversity, extinction of species and many slug predators having died out or deserted our gardens is why they are so much of a problem.

So, why not trying to make them an actual meal for other species by bringing back their predators in our garden? They have a shit loads of them actually. Ground beetles, hedgehogs, frogs, lizards, snakes, blackbirds, centipedes just to mention a few.

So, I'll just drop those here...

https://www.slughelp.com/promote-biodiversity-prevent-garden-pests-like-slugs/

https://www.slughelp.com/snail-slug-population-booms-reasons-countermeasures/

https://www.slughelp.com/insect-friendly-garden/

I'm in Washington state so slugs have always been a part of my life. As bored children we'd find all sorts of creatively cruel and entertaining methods to dispatch them. Slug baseball, salt, the beer bottles, stomping on them is the least creative, my favorite is getting some black cats around the 4th of July and blowing them up. For a small animal they have quite a bit of guts inside of them.

I can't say I harbor the malice I used to but when every salad head I grow is full of slug slime, slugs, slug shit, slug eggs, a slug nursery, I get frustrated. A lot of the time all I get is the heart which is usually slug free. With ganja, in the right situation they can cause some havoc. Many years ago when I was guerrilla farming we found our patch by the river loaded with slugs. I was cursing them and throwing them in every direction. My partner was more creative, he was impaling them on sticks he stuck in the ground around the plants as a warning to their friends.

I've seen good amounts of damage but I've never seen a plant killed by slugs. Small plants are at most risk but once they hit the growth spurt the slugs can't keep up. Plus I think the chemical factory kicks in and starts producing chemicals the slugs don't like. I've never seen a mature plant have more then a bite or two gone.

The beer bottle technique works great, the problem is that there are too many. The bottle fills with slug slime and dead slugs while more are living their entire lives in my lettuce and cabbage heads. Another good method is Iron Phosphate pellets, the safest slug killer I can find. Doesn't hurt the animals and breaks down into fertilizer. It doesn't work well when it's rainy because the pellets dissolve. When it starts drying out it works all right. The problem again is too many slugs.

Last edited:

therevverend

Veteran
Gave the Black Vietnamese x Meao Thais to a friend in the dry country east of the mountains. He's done alright, one Viet dominate and one Thai dominate. The Thai dominate is actually earlier, it's a beauty.

picture.php

Wonderful skunky fruity Thai stick smells. Just starting to develop resin, in a couple weeks it'll really start to shine. Wish I'd gotten a picture of the Black Viet, it hasn't produced resin yet. Doesn't have the same smell but it's a similar size. Doesn't have the elongated Thai type colas. Hoping they finish well before the frost.

SolarLogos

Gave the Black Vietnamese x Meao Thais to a friend in the dry country east of the mountains. He's done alright, one Viet dominate and one Thai dominate. The Thai dominate is actually earlier, it's a beauty.

View Image

Wonderful skunky fruity Thai stick smells. Just starting to develop resin, in a couple weeks it'll really start to shine. Wish I'd gotten a picture of the Black Viet, it hasn't produced resin yet. Doesn't have the same smell but it's a similar size. Doesn't have the elongated Thai type colas. Hoping they finish well before the frost.
She is a beauty! Big girl with nice terps. I have a couple different Thai and some Vietnamese black going, would love to do a cross.
Thanks for the pic, there's going to be a lot of good smoke coming out of that girl.
Peace, God bless

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Wonderful bush revverend :huggg:

Lovely structure, she is producing really nice colas everywhere.
Hope she can finish properly before the weather turns bad.