What's new

Best germination techniques?

rhinojoe

I know there are several successful germination techniques but was jus wondering wot every1 elses opinion was?? Is there 1 best way that works for u??

humble1

crazaer at overgrow 2.0
ICMag Donor
Veteran
drop seeds in a small glass of tepid tap water.
place glass in a very dark place, preferably slightly warm, I like my closet ledge because the opposite wall is shared with the oven.
change water every 12-24 hours until seeds pop.
discard non-poppers.
plant viable seedlings in desired media.

Last edited:

trichosaurus

*Stoned User*
Veteran
Get yourself some very moist paper towels and a ziplock bags. Put seeds in paper towels then pput the paper towels in ziplock bag and label. Put ziplocks somewhere moderately warm: on top of fridge, top of monitor, heat register.

Check every 8 hours to see if any have sprouted and I like to breathe into the bags and reseal them.
Once the seeds have 1/4" taproot showing, remove and put tail down in dirt, peat pellet, or any other medium you may be using. Simple, cheap and effective.

Euphrates

Get yourself some very moist paper towels and a ziplock bags. Put seeds in paper towels then pput the paper towels in ziplock bag and label. Put ziplocks somewhere moderately warm: on top of fridge, top of monitor, heat register.

Check every 8 hours to see if any have sprouted and I like to breathe into the bags and reseal them.
Once the seeds have 1/4" taproot showing, remove and put tail down in dirt, peat pellet, or any other medium you may be using. Simple, cheap and effective.

simplicity at its best.

junior_grower

I plant my out door and dirt plants in small soil pots and moisten, the hydro plants start right in rock wool cubes.

big ballin 88

Biology over Chemistry
Veteran
Soak in a cup with water, maybe seaweed for a day. Than put into a 50/35/15 Verm/perlite/compost beer cup. Left on my windowsill and moved when it pops the surface.

Everyone has different techniques, I just try to avoid moving a seed once it has a taproot. That why i only soak for a day, it will crack and than be able to do everything just the way nature intended, and pre-programmed.

Dirt_McMaster

With warm water I wet a piece of paper towel. Then place seeds so they will stay separated on the towel. Next I carefully fold the paper towel to contain the seeds. I then put the folded towel into a plastic bag. Next I tuck the bag into the insulation blanket on my water heater.
The temp there is about 90 degrees F.
I've had seeds germinate at 18 hours there. I aim for a quarter inch to half inch tap root before planting
Hopefully my experience will help someone in need!
-Dirt

Dirt_McMaster

With warm water I wet a piece of paper towel. Then place seeds so they will stay separated on the towel. Next I carefully fold the paper towel to contain the seeds. I then put the folded towel into a plastic bag. Next I tuck the bag into the insulation blanket on my water heater.
The temp there is about 90 degrees F.
I've had seeds germinate at 18 hours there. I aim for a quarter inch to half inch tap root before planting
Hopefully my experience will help someone in need!
-Dirt

I forgot to mention that I always place the germinated seed into my grow medium with the root pointing downward- Very important

Frozenguy

Veteran

simplicity at its best.

Uh that is not simple by any means.

To the op, put the seed in soil, water soil, cover with plastic or put under dome, 2-3 days you have seedlings poking up.

No need to fiddle with them, give them unbuffered climate experiences, touch their tap roots..

Dirt_McMaster

Uh that is not simple by any means.

To the op, put the seed in soil, water soil, cover with plastic or put under dome, 2-3 days you have seedlings poking up.

No need to fiddle with them, give them unbuffered climate experiences, touch their tap roots..

What about the seeds that do not end up sprouting? You have a lot of wasted soil, wasted space, wasted time, etc. etc. I feel the interaction w/sprouted seed is necessary.

Iv seen alot of people say to NOT do any pre soaking at all..this if for old seeds that need to be extensively re hydrated to germinate ...any good seed..unless its like 3+ years old..should NOT be soaked..the embryo has moisture in it already..within hours of them soaking..moisture starts to "seep" in the embryo..drowining..rotting..them..Iv PERSONALLY lost plenty of seeds using the soak method.and then crack..

Iv tried countless methods..soak...then plant. soak and then paper towel.rapid rooters,etc...the simplest and most RELIABLE method Iv tried is the paper towel method..

100% FAST germ..within 24 hours..all my seeds crack..as soon as they crack..I plant..I place the seed sideways..NOT root down..cannabis likes to first send tap root UP..curve,and THEN grow down..soemtiems when you plant root DOWN..

the tip has to go up and then back down..wasting its energy and resources..

Dirt_McMaster

Opt- very true.

I should have added my first step to germinate... I always roll each seed between my thumb and middle finger. If I hear or feel any "clicks" I throw the seed away.
-Dirt

Frozenguy

Veteran
What about the seeds that do not end up sprouting? You have a lot of wasted soil, wasted space, wasted time, etc. etc. I feel the interaction w/sprouted seed is necessary.
I have had less then ten beans not sprout on me in soil (not counting an entire pack of 15 south african durban poison freebies, no one can germ those). Seeds WILL sprout in soil!! They have to be SUPER freaking picky to not sprout in soil. They may just take a little longer.

Wasted soil? If the bean doesn't germ, the use soil for another plant why is it wasted? Wasted space? Come on lol.. I sprout seedlings in beer cups cut in half.

These methods over complicate things. I have seeds fully sprouted with leaves shortly after 48 hours usually which is the same amount of time if not faster then these paper towels/shot glasses. What is the benefit? None really unless the seed wont sprout under soil and I have sprouted hundreds of seeds.

everyone has a method ;)
True, I like mother nature's :) She does things quite well.
Opt- very true.

I should have added my first step to germinate... I always roll each seed between my thumb and middle finger. If I hear or feel any "clicks" I throw the seed away.
-Dirt

??!! Those could be Einsteins you are throwing away!!

The paper towel method works, there just isn't any real benefit, unless you dont have soil... in which case, just use rockwool :jump:

Frozenguy :smokeit:

PS I dont recommend those methods to newer growers because (to me) its pointless and can cause harm to the plant very easily if you mess up. It should be an advanced technique for picky seedlings, not a daily method.

gonzo`

I also like planting straight into the soil, its fool proof! Its also the way nature intended? Can't argue with that really....

What I do is water the soil first, then I put a seed slightly less than an inch below the surface. I then put my light on for 18 hours and within 2 or 3 days they breach the surface and we're off! Couldn't be simpler.

cfltime

Yes, I would agree with Gonzo. I have been thinking about how to germ as well, and this is the way I plan on doing it.

I like Gonzo, he was my fav character on sesame street.

Krull

Soul Feeder
Veteran
Best tech is what best WORKS for you.
Keep the substrate warm and moist and you'll be fine ;)

GL

=K

M

mrred

i dont like to fiddle with seeds with taproot either anymore, i broke many before so now i put seeds in some coco on a heat mat with a cover over the dirt , i use to soak them in water with a airstone in there for less than 24hrs, thinking maybe a 5 hours presoak is more than enough now.

Latest posts

Latest posts