What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

indica vs. sativa?

Please forgive me if this has been covered, I looked around but couldn't find anything relevant. Feel free to move this thread if it's in the wrong place.

I have been growing for a few years now organically in soil. I prefer sativas, and so far that's all I have grown really, so my mix is based on what they told me they needed.

For some reason indicas and indica dominants hate me and my mix.

I'm thinking they want a lower ph, but since I don't check ph, I really don't know. I could fix it if I knew that was the problem though. Has anyone else ever noticed a difference?

titoon29

Travelling Cannagrapher Penguin !
Veteran
nope... i'ld say usually indicas are easier to grow (short stretch/flowering), but most sativas hybrid are too...

lordbudly

Veteran
well if your mix is made for sativas, it probably has realllllyyyy low nitrogen, post some pics of these hater indicas in the infirmary on how to ammend your soil for indicas

nope... i'ld say usually indicas are easier to grow (short stretch/flowering), but most sativas hybrid are too...

Thanks a bunch. :) Most of my sats are pure.

well if your mix is made for sativas, it probably has realllllyyyy low nitrogen, post some pics of these hater indicas in the infirmary on how to ammend your soil for indicas

Low Nitrogen for sats, gotcha. I'm gonna bounce that around my 2 brain cells. Mucho Gracias. :)

I have a journal with pix of all. My recycled soil is so old though, I dunno really how to ask for help....only I know what's in it. A jumbled mix of composted veg scraps and dry ammendments. I do know how to fix it myself if I knew what was missing or excessive.

It looks like a ph or Ca/Mg ratio thing to me, but I dunno.

lordbudly

Veteran
Alright i looked through your gallery and heres what i got, lots of beautiful sativas and some looked pretty indica but nothing looked bad in there, the jack x oaxacan sounds like a deadly sativa combo and looked great, remember if you can grow sativas like that you can grow anything, but see if you can't find any pictures of the indicas that havent worked successfully for you, what all is in your mix? maybe try adding some earth worm castings to your indica mixes

tree&leaf

A potentially very interesting topic.

I have one question though, how sure are you it's a Sativa v Indica thing? Could it be something as simple as a different varierty problem?

In my experience so far, it can take two, three, four or more grows to fully understand what a particulary variety wants, what it likes and how it grows. Some are far more tolerant than others are fickle.

It's also been my experience that ph plays little or no part in how well a plant grows in potted soil. As long as things aren't wildy out of whack, ie very high input water ph or very low base soii ph, and that the soii medium is of decent quality it self buffers the ph to perfectly acceptable levels.

It's also a generally agreed principle amongst organic soil growers that tinkering the input water ph by the use of acids is against organic principles, enters unnecessary mineral salts and has a detrimental affect to the all important rhoizosphere micro-organisms.

If you're growing organically, I'd recommend staying away from tinkering with water input ph.

Alright i looked through your gallery and heres what i got, lots of beautiful sativas and some looked pretty indica but nothing looked bad in there, the jack x oaxacan sounds like a deadly sativa combo and looked great, remember if you can grow sativas like that you can grow anything, but see if you can't find any pictures of the indicas that havent worked successfully for you, what all is in your mix? maybe try adding some earth worm castings to your indica mixes

Sorry buddy, I meant my grow journal here. Thanks for looking though. :)

A potentially very interesting topic.

I have one question though, how sure are you it's a Sativa v Indica thing? Could it be something as simple as a different varierty problem?

In my experience so far, it can take two, three, four or more grows to fully understand what a particulary variety wants, what it likes and how it grows. Some are far more tolerant than others are fickle.

It's also been my experience that ph plays little or no part in how well a plant grows in potted soil. As long as things aren't wildy out of whack, ie very high input water ph or very low base soii ph, and that the soii medium is of decent quality it self buffers the ph to perfectly acceptable levels.

It's also a generally agreed principle amongst organic soil growers that tinkering the input water ph by the use of acids is against organic principles, enters unnecessary mineral salts and has a detrimental affect to the all important rhoizosphere micro-organisms.

If you're growing organically, I'd recommend staying away from tinkering with water input ph.

Well...of course I really don't know. It just seems every time I get an indica leaning strain, they are never happy here.

I don't adjust or check ph of anything, but I can setup a different soilmix in the future, if I had an idea what to change. I'm pretty sure I've seen peeps run all kinds of different ph in soil though, from low 6 to almost 7....I think I'm around 6.8.

I wondered if it's because indicas come more from the north and mountainous areas....where the soil is more acidic from pines and evergreens?

Thanks for your help. :)

lordbudly

Veteran
Maybe im just missing something man???? All I saw in that thread was more beautiful sativas, a random bagseed that looked like BSHW which i also saw that wierd lookin growth structure on one of rez's double strawberry diesels he made, and a very Very VERY minor minor minor tip burn on some very good looking afghan seedlings

Maybe im just missing something man???? All I saw in that thread was more beautiful sativas,

Your too kind.

This is the kinda stuff I get with indica doms.

It just seems odd to me that I have no trouble with pure sats. I dunno which direction they have taken my dirt, but there is something different the fat-leafed gals don't like.

Thanks for all your help peeps. :)

Attachments

• Picture 002 jft.jpg
    Picture 002 jft.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Picture 003 jft.jpg
    Picture 003 jft.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Picture 005 c99.jpg
    Picture 005 c99.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 5

theHIGHlander

european ganja growers
Veteran
am the other way around i dont grow meny sats (Not got the room&time)..most of my plants are indi doms,,but from the sats ive grown i found thay could not take the same amount of nutes as the indica dom plats so had to back of...maybe your mix is slightly week for the indicas?? somthing missing??,,not strong anuff??..what about upping the feed/make the soil slightly richer???.....
oh i take it your old skool yeh not checking your PH lol:wink:...am not saying there is anything wrong with that (as meny dont check it) but when things do got tits up you find that old skoll growers never check there ph as thay have never had to be4 (hope you get what am trying to say :laughing:)...in short...no harm in checking it bro..only take 2 mins:joint:....

keep it green
highlander

what about upping the feed/make the soil slightly richer???.....

Thanks, I'll try that....it helps to have a clue which way to go. :)

oh i take it your old skool yeh not checking your PH lol:wink:...am not saying there is anything wrong with that (as meny dont check it) but when things do got tits up you find that old skoll growers never check there ph as thay have never had to be4 (hope you get what am trying to say :laughing:)...in short...no harm in checking it bro..only take 2 mins:joint:....

keep it green
highlander

Yeah, good soil ph meters are expensive, I can't afford one. I wouldn't say they are necessary for growing either, I have yet to smoke a plant before harvest. Thanks again for the advice buddy. :)

motaloca

Yeah, good soil ph meters are expensive, I can't afford one. I wouldn't say they are necessary for growing either, I have yet to smoke a plant before harvest. Thanks again for the advice buddy. :)

Get some ph strips or drops, they are very cheap.
correct ph helps to avoid many problems

Latest posts

Latest posts