What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

other plants with trichomes

maryjohn

Veteran
Well, I've been growing drosera (sundew) indoors, and I was reading up on them. Guess what the little goo filled projections are called? Trichomes!

Does any one know any other plants with trichomes? Any guesses as to why both species have the same structures? Are they related? Are trichomes very common in nature?

grow1620

Trichomes, from the Greek meaning "growth of hair", are fine outgrowths or appendages on plants and certain protists. These are of diverse structure and function. Examples are hairs, glandular hairs, scales, and papillae. - from wiki

basically any kind of "fuzz"on a plant can be considered a trichrome

neongreen

Veteran
Trichomes are very common. Grab a loupe/magnifying glass and have a wonder outdoors... you'll be surprised how many plants have them :wink:

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Does hops have trichromes? I know if you brew fresh hops into tea it is a simialr euphoric weed type experience. that is why it was chosen for bewing long ago

yeah hops has glandular trichs. from Merck Index:

Humulene, or α-humulene or α-caryophyllene, is a naturally-occurring monocyclic sesquiterpene. It is found in the essential oils of Humulus lupulus (hops) from which it derives its name, Lindera strychnifolia and others. It is an isomer of β-caryophyllene, and the two are often found together as a mixture in nature. It is one of the chemical compounds that contribute to the taste of the spice Vietnamese coriander. It also contributes to the characteristic aroma of Cannabis sativa, where it is present in the essential oil of the plant.

Euphrates

I've notice Datura leaf's have what appear to be trichomes, although different than the appearance of cannabis trichomes.

The Datura leaf's of the Brugmansia species is what I've noted to have them.

Isn't funny that far more dangerous, even deadly plants are legal, yet Cannabis isn't. To bad no botanical enthusiast’s where fighting for the beauty of the cannabis plant to remain in legal circulation at the time.

I’ve smoked some Datura leaf’s and noticed a weird kind of strange effect, I guess one could call a high. Though I’ve never wished to delve any further into the whole Datura experience. The flowers are neat though, thus the only reason they and plants of a similar nature remain legal. We’ll cannabis can be a pretty plant to, yet it remains illegal.

Sheriff Bart

Deputy Spade
Veteran
anything with 'fuzz' is a trichome
some have glands on them like cannabis which secrete stuff
some are there to deflect light or otehrwise provide protection

hops has trichomes, but its only mildly sedating and was used more so for the flavor than effects
picture.php

picture.php

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
cool thanks for the info and pics. I would like to make some weed and hops tea.

Sheriff Bart

Deputy Spade
Veteran
at least hops never really did much for me
and i even collected the resin glands, but they are like explosive
some crazy oils and things in there
i nearly lost my eyebrows the pipe flammed up so much

i do like the taste and smell of the hops though
mmmm
hops is closely related to weed, no?

and yea they are pretty related (and you can see the resemblance somewhat in the pics)

Joey56789

Have you ever tried putting hops in a little cloth bag in your pillow case? I have tired it, as have others. Over time you would start sleeping really well. After time it seemed to work too well, and it would be hard to wake up, and you would be almost depressed.

CANNACO-OP

Farmassist
Veteran
picture.php

What about on a poppy, are those also trichomes?

like the hops under pillow, funny how scents can help. peace

Last edited:

hailand3r

hey people i have a question for you guys i have learned that the cannabis plants reflects UV ray with the trichomes, does you guys know other plant that do it?

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
Stinging Nettle is closely related to cannabis. The growth forms are very similar. The nettle has very sharp pointy trichomes.

Many plants have a covering of fine hairs that appear to be an adaptation to protect themselves from intense sunlight. This is a physical protection, not chemical. Glandular trichomes are more likely to be adaptations for reducing predation by insects and other animals.

Latest posts

Latest posts