What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tomato growers?

I like growing Mr. Stripeys....some places they are hard to find...I have some seeds if anyone is having trouble finding them anywhere....best tasting tomatoe I have ever tasted in 20 years of growing.

W

Weedman Herb

Excellent ... Mine came from Bonnie via Wally World ... they had quite a few in the racks ...

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Had this emailed to me ,, thought it was pretty funny ...

An old Italian lived alone in Leichardt. He wanted to plant his annual tomato garden, but it was very difficult work, as the ground was hard.

His only son, Vincent, who used to help him, was in prison. The old man wrote a letter to his son and described his predicament:

Dear Vincent,
I am feeling pretty sad, because it looks like I won't be able to plant my tomato garden this year. I'm just getting too old to be digging up a garden plot. I know if you were here my troubles would be over.. I know you would be happy to dig the plot for me, like in the old days.
Love, Papa

A few days later he received a letter from his son.

Dear Pop,
Don't dig up that garden. That's where the bodies are buried.
Love,
Vinnie

At 4 a.m. the next morning, local police arrived and dug up the entire area without finding any bodies. They apologized to the old man and left.

That same day the old man received another letter from his son.

Dear Pop,

Go ahead and plant the tomatoes now. That's the best I could do under the circumstances.

Love you,

Vinnie

TLR

Do you guys think I could grow 2 tomato plants in a rubbermaid style setup? I would be using 2 30gal rubbermaid tubs on top of each other, with CFLs for my lighting (more on that later), covering it all in mylar, adding passive intakes, and adding PC fans for airflow.

Back to the lighting: I was wondering what, if any differences there are in terms of lighting I should use. I've been told that (for growing weed) using 4 42 watt cool white 6500k bulbs is great for vegging, and 4 42 watt warm white 3000k CFL's is good for flowering. I'm also a newb when it comes to growing tomatos, so I was also wondering if someone could tell me how they vegetate and flower, and what light schedules they need to be on to do so.

Thanks!

thekingofNY

Cannasseur
Alright we got some sort of black spotted pest thing attacking the tomato plant. Its been extremelly WET here, raining every day for the past few weeks. They are probably about the 1/4 of the size of a big tick. Almost look like poppy seeds?

I'll try to get a pic later. How long can neem used on the tomatos? I imagine you dont want to use it once they have started fruiting?

John Allen

Here's a "Celebrity" tomato plant, also have 5-6 more varieties that are grown.

IMG_1909.jpg

Also a cherry going nuts as usual

IMG_1898.jpg

Wait...What?

Veteran
For many years I have been doing sterilite [rubbermaid-type, just different brand and less flexy] tub dwc 15 gallon outdoors with two diagonally-mounted 5" orchid pots and hydroton. A single optima fishtank dual outlet pump and two airstones.

on edit: I prune the tomatoes using the "Missouri method" and grow them vertically, and close together.

A controller helps as maters witha heavy fruit load drink a lot of water, and consistent watering is the key to avoiding blossom end rot.

Do you guys think I could grow 2 tomato plants in a rubbermaid style setup? I would be using 2 30gal rubbermaid tubs on top of each other, with CFLs for my lighting (more on that later), covering it all in mylar, adding passive intakes, and adding PC fans for airflow.

Back to the lighting: I was wondering what, if any differences there are in terms of lighting I should use. I've been told that (for growing weed) using 4 42 watt cool white 6500k bulbs is great for vegging, and 4 42 watt warm white 3000k CFL's is good for flowering. I'm also a newb when it comes to growing tomatos, so I was also wondering if someone could tell me how they vegetate and flower, and what light schedules they need to be on to do so.

Thanks!

C

CMoon

guys ! your blowing my mind with these tom varietys! love the differant styles, if only my oldman was alive he'd have a huge grin on his face.

I normally do about 5 to 6 northenhemiphere varietys a year' bit like weed, some better then others:laughing:

but iv only done roma (new one on me) and the old faithfull cherry:woohoo:

il fess up and say theres not many see the house, when im tokin and haveing a few beerz outback they seem to disapear:D

anyways, great pics tom lovers......il be back

bests cmoon

S

seanpferguson

one of my jetstars has 3 tops with three blooms a piece... it looks crazy

TLR

For many years I have been doing sterilite [rubbermaid-type, just different brand and less flexy] tub dwc 15 gallon outdoors with two diagonally-mounted 5" orchid pots and hydroton. A single optima fishtank dual outlet pump and two airstones.

on edit: I prune the tomatoes using the "Missouri method" and grow them vertically, and close together.

A controller helps as maters witha heavy fruit load drink a lot of water, and consistent watering is the key to avoiding blossom end rot.

Do you have any links to examples of the Missouri Method?

W

Weedman Herb

I think this is a jellybean (grape hybrid) a few more days and I'll know for sure ...

maryjohn

Veteran

Thanks!

Scrog 'em!

nephilthim

i have about 75 sq feet of I think beefsteak tomatoes and one other it's more than enough for myself and roomies so I have become the free tomato king to my neigbours.

webguy

im in the northeast usa and its been all rain. i did the last pruning of the bottom sucker shoots on my san marzanos today, there were a couple baby toms on them but none anywhere else on the plants. should i not have pruned them? im hoping the sun comes out and they start getting huge, theyre about 2 1/2 feet now and most have 2 big main stems- looks like i topped them but i didnt.

W

Weedman Herb

From the knowledge I grasp loosely I'm not thinking the Sucker is a flowering/fruiting branch ... I was told it was too late to sucker most of my plants and that is why they are huge ... they spent time and energy growing branches that could have been used for growing Bigger and More Fruit. I'm new to this so take that with a grain of salt. The spot I was shown to pluck was a little dick shit thing between two branches ... it did not have flowers on it yet and it didn't bear fruit.

W

Weedman Herb

i have about 75 sq feet of I think beefsteak tomatoes and one other it's more than enough for myself and roomies so I have become the free tomato king to my neigbours.
Sooooo , You're the Free Tomato King? I'm not ready to challenge you for the throne ... yet ... but I could be called an Earl of Free Tomatoes ... Long Live the Free Tomato Kings

webguy

i think since i pinched the remaining suckers so late i will give them some bud blood in a couple days.