Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Growing in Coco Coir > what to do when coco dries out and causes lockout?

Thread Title Search
what to do when coco dries out and causes lockout? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-23-2018, 10:04 PM #31
beta

beta is a name known to allbeta is a name known to allbeta is a name known to allbeta is a name known to allbeta is a name known to allbeta is a name known to allbeta is a name known to allbeta is a name known to allbeta is a name known to allbeta is a name known to allbeta is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinnutt View Post
The best plan is to never let the stuff dry out. Forget everything you know about watering soil or other mixes and water till runoff with a coco type fert at 650 ish ppm. Make sure your PH is right near 6.0 and you will be in for a good ride. Don't flush with plain water, don't wait for the pot to get dry. I water brand new seedlings with the exact same mix and I don't change a thing all the way through to the chop. If you want to flush at the end, do so, they will fade quickly.

This is exactly what I do and it works great.
beta is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-24-2018, 01:36 AM #32
Miraculous Meds

Miraculous Meds has a brilliant futureMiraculous Meds has a brilliant futureMiraculous Meds has a brilliant futureMiraculous Meds has a brilliant futureMiraculous Meds has a brilliant futureMiraculous Meds has a brilliant futureMiraculous Meds has a brilliant futureMiraculous Meds has a brilliant futureMiraculous Meds has a brilliant futureMiraculous Meds has a brilliant futureMiraculous Meds has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Hydro View Post
i am using RO water. i had started adding back 150ppm of tap because my tap is mostly cal and mag. if im adding that back i add the nutes ec on top of that right?
Correct
Miraculous Meds is offline Quote

Old 01-26-2018, 12:08 AM #33
eric2028

eric2028 will become famous soon enougheric2028 will become famous soon enough
Like I said before it’s the tupar that’s the issue bro. Try it compared to pure coco. I’ve had great results with tupar in the past but again there are inconsistencies from bag to bag. Jacks 3.7 calnit 2.5 epsom 1 gram all per gallon should work great.
eric2028 is offline Quote

Old 01-26-2018, 12:35 AM #34
Midwest Toker

Midwest Toker is a jewel in the roughMidwest Toker is a jewel in the roughMidwest Toker is a jewel in the roughMidwest Toker is a jewel in the roughMidwest Toker is a jewel in the roughMidwest Toker is a jewel in the rough
To me anything over 600 ppm (1.2 ec)is a waste in coco. Most of my veg feeds are 400 ppm or less, flower 500 ppm or less.
And once you learn how to feed your plant a balanced diet you'll find you don't need to feed coir to run-off every time. I do whole grows with coir with no run-off.
Midwest Toker is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:49 PM #35
Desert Hydro

Desert Hydro is a glorious beacon of lightDesert Hydro is a glorious beacon of lightDesert Hydro is a glorious beacon of lightDesert Hydro is a glorious beacon of lightDesert Hydro is a glorious beacon of lightDesert Hydro is a glorious beacon of lightDesert Hydro is a glorious beacon of lightDesert Hydro is a glorious beacon of lightDesert Hydro is a glorious beacon of lightDesert Hydro is a glorious beacon of lightDesert Hydro is a glorious beacon of light
got everything sorted out and now they are recovering nicely. bad coco with a ton of salts in it caused lockout and then it presented itself with deficiencies so i answered with heavier feeds. got worse and worse until i flushed the hell out of them and gave them a restart and moved them from 1 gal to 3 gal pots in a new clean brand of coco. the roots are coming back to life, the plants are getting green and healthy all around. still a little light and deficient but night and day difference. flowering on the first if they keep this up. now i have to build my scrog frames and mount them to the light framework and hang the trellis netting.

thanks for all the input everyone. id like to urge anyone having issues to check their runoff for inconsistencies. i knew as soon as i saw the runoff ppms. i was on the brink of giving up, killing everything and starting over. contemplating quitting all together. bad juju all around. i felt cursed and like everything i did was failing, especially after my failure in the other garden due to overwatering after transplanting. damn near killed everything and had to blast everything to save it. now im coming back harder than ever. PPK is getting cleaned out and revitalized with a vengeance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20180128_175523.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	444174
Desert Hydro is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:48 PM #36
p0opstlnksal0t

p0opstlnksal0t is just really nicep0opstlnksal0t is just really nicep0opstlnksal0t is just really nicep0opstlnksal0t is just really nicep0opstlnksal0t is just really nicep0opstlnksal0t is just really nicep0opstlnksal0t is just really nicep0opstlnksal0t is just really nicep0opstlnksal0t is just really nice
Glad to hear it brother how are you feeding these are they being hand-fed or are they on a timer pump setup
p0opstlnksal0t is offline Quote

Old 01-29-2018, 11:39 PM #37
Desert Hydro

Desert Hydro is a glorious beacon of lightDesert Hydro is a glorious beacon of lightDesert Hydro is a glorious beacon of lightDesert Hydro is a glorious beacon of lightDesert Hydro is a glorious beacon of lightDesert Hydro is a glorious beacon of lightDesert Hydro is a glorious beacon of lightDesert Hydro is a glorious beacon of lightDesert Hydro is a glorious beacon of lightDesert Hydro is a glorious beacon of lightDesert Hydro is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by p0opstlnksal0t View Post
Glad to hear it brother how are you feeding these are they being hand-fed or are they on a timer pump setup
blumats doing their thing
600ppm jacks and calnit. right now i am doing a 1:1 ratio to supplement extra calcium and green them up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20180116_190054.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	444228
Desert Hydro is offline Quote

Old 01-30-2018, 03:32 AM #38
p0opstlnksal0t

p0opstlnksal0t is just really nicep0opstlnksal0t is just really nicep0opstlnksal0t is just really nicep0opstlnksal0t is just really nicep0opstlnksal0t is just really nicep0opstlnksal0t is just really nicep0opstlnksal0t is just really nicep0opstlnksal0t is just really nicep0opstlnksal0t is just really nice
I gotcha. I'm showing lockout overfeeding symptoms on my room right now. I flushed with 300ppm and I took my feedings from every 5 hours back to every 12 hours I don't think my root structures are big enough to support the 5 feedings per day yet.

Old 01-30-2018, 01:46 PM #39
beta

beta is a name known to allbeta is a name known to allbeta is a name known to allbeta is a name known to allbeta is a name known to allbeta is a name known to allbeta is a name known to allbeta is a name known to allbeta is a name known to allbeta is a name known to allbeta is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by p0opstlnksal0t View Post
I gotcha. I'm showing lockout overfeeding symptoms on my room right now. I flushed with 300ppm and I took my feedings from every 5 hours back to every 12 hours I don't think my root structures are big enough to support the 5 feedings per day yet.
You can't really overwater / overfeed coco. Even when you over do it before plants have established their roots, the only consequence will be slower root development.

Think of it this way - If you're doing DTW coco right you're basically using the coco to hold the liquid and the roots upright. That's it. You could grow the plants directly in 100% nutrient solution if you wanted to. It wouldn't cause burning or 'lockout' or anything like that.

Until the end of flower you shouldn't ever 'flush' with anything other than normal full strength nutrient solution.
beta is offline Quote

Old 01-30-2018, 02:16 PM #40
p0opstlnksal0t

Quote:
Originally Posted by beta View Post
You can't really overwater / overfeed coco. Even when you over do it before plants have established their roots, the only consequence will be slower root development.

Think of it this way - If you're doing DTW coco right you're basically using the coco to hold the liquid and the roots upright. That's it. You could grow the plants directly in 100% nutrient solution if you wanted to. It wouldn't cause burning or 'lockout' or anything like that.

Until the end of flower you shouldn't ever 'flush' with anything other than normal full strength nutrient solution.
It may not be overfeeding but it's certainly salt buildup. I know this because I flush with 300ppm water and runoff is 400ppm... the last time I flushed the runoff would drop .3 to .4 ec per watering telling me that my plants were consuming that much. Now runoff is higher than the input.