What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How & when to water seedlings?

JoeRocket2

I have 6 seedlings about 3" tall at day 13, 3rd sets of leaves starting, under fluos for 10 days now under a 400W MH. They are planted in soil in plastic cups.

My plants seem to dry out on the top inch or so of soil after about 8 hours. I do have a small fan moving air in the room so temp at plants is about 75-77, and humidity is about 40% or so....probably too low, but I'm going to try to raise thata bit if possible.

My question is how should I go about watering them, deciding when & how much water to provide?

Thanks for any advice you can give the noob!

Peace....

Joe

libby

yohomz said:
I would transplant them, then you won't have to water as often.

use a wider pot,which would also inrease your surface area, which will raise your humidity

JoeRocket2

I just transplanted them into the cups 4 days ago....they were started in jiffy pots. I would think I should wait to transplant again....right?

How about watering them in their current large plastic cups?

Z

zoolander

Joe when you water pic them up and feel the weight of the cup then when you think it needs watered pic the cup up again you will feel the weight of the cup and feel the diffrence a major mistake by rookies is over watering remember the roots go down alot more than that first inch. Zoo

JoeRocket2

Zoo, is it ok if the top 1 1/2" of soil is bone dry if there is some moisture down around the 2-3" level (about halfway down cup)?

I know I will be better off underwatering then over, but how will the plants let me know if they're getting too thirsty?

Thanks again for your advice Zoo!

Z

zoolander

yeah that first inch is fine. Mine I go off the weight and a few oher things but it's fine just dont get to crazy on them dryin out. If you still have problems try a moisture meter but I dont think that you will need it.

these have only been up 3 days in 16 oz cups at 75 to 80 degrees with a fan on them they need water every 3 to five days

Last edited:

standard

let them fill those cups with roots, that way when you transplant they will have a growth spurt. It's ok if the top dries out a bit

JoeRocket2

Zoo, when you water those cups do you water slowly until you get some drainage out the bottom for a PH test? If so, how much runoff do you want....a shot glass full, maybe less?

Z

zoolander

I water slowly until runoff but I dont check ph runoff I grow in coco so the ph going in is 5.6 to 6.3. I think 10 to 15% runoff

Last edited:
I’d imagine the amount of run off wouldn’t matter, the substrate is only going to hold so much water. As long as it’s drain to waste it doesn’t matter right?

Latest posts

Latest posts