What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

African Strains

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
It definitely works, as I think it stops clorophyll production, so effectively the plant starts curing whilst it's still alive. I just used a craft knife to get through to the white fibrous pith, and then just peel off the bark layer.

I originally got the tip from the old Adam Gottlieb pamphlet on 'Growing Extraordinary Marijuana' or something like that - he also describes 'cruxifixion', which I also tried - ramming two sticks through the stem at 90 degrees to each other....:)

zamalito

Veteran
No muddy, at least not in the mainstream I've never heard of Africans girdling plants. I'm not even certain widespread use of girdling ever occured in colombia. Its just something that I personally like to do with plants that require a long cure. The technique may not be for some but it works for me.

I grew some Bushman that I bought from seedsdirect a few years ago. It struck me as a mostly sativa hybrid of a background that didn't seem african but who knows? This may have been a different line from the on your referring to. I can't remember the name but it was the same company that was also selling the elephant killer and mullumbimby madness. After growing the bushman I kicked myswelf for not getting the other australian sats instead.

Herbalistic

Herbal relaxation...
Veteran
I hear you Zam, I have been droolin my self sometimes for nice Aussie sativa. The climate of Australia seems to create interesting strains.

I dont know about you, but the company that sells Elephant Killer isnt the kind of company that got Herbalistic´s trust. I dont have any experience with them, but something in their descriptions make´s my head say no to them, just get little scaamy feeling about them...

Last edited:

Highlighter

ring that bell
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I was going thru old High Times, looking for a pictorial on making cobs w/ no luck. I was being lazy just checking the cover stories. Their annual 'Global Harvest Report' caught my eye and I scanned the '02 & '03 S.A. reports.
Also have the '02 S.A. Homegrowers Cup coverage if anyone's interested, but 1st:

Greetings muddy waters

are malawi plants gold because of 'the full girdle' as well?....muddy waters

The gold of 'commercially' produced Malawi cannabis is a combination of Sun drying and a low Nitrogen medium during growth.

However, there are 'traditional' pockets throughout the country that practice stem splitting...the result of which is also, the golden colour in the finished product. It is surmised that although practical, the Sun curing technique was implemented and retained because the end product more closely resembles the famed traditional product, with less labour and attention (and risk).

Another 'cultural' practice in some areas is to allow a (supervised) kid (young goat) to graze/gnaw on the mature stems. This results in faster maturation, increased resin production and chlorophyll degradation ('the zamalito discovery'). There is an unclear spiritual component to this practice.

In other places (Ethiopia, Ghana) the kid or a lamb is allowed to consume a vast majority of the fan leaves halfway through the flowering period. This also results in the golden coloration of the finished product, as the plant prioritizes seed production. This practice is also of a spiritual nature. It is the literal manifestation of 'lamb's bread' that resonates with the symbolic interpretation and incorporation into Rastafarian methodology.

One step further is the practice of allowing the kid/lamb/goat (starved for a few days) to consume the ripened colas. The material goes through the digestive tract quickly and is defecated almost intact. It is then dried and smoked. It is reported that this product results in the most psychoactive of experiences...and is therefore reserved for consumption by revered elders, spiritual shamans and tribal dignitaries.

Sincerely,
Charles.

muddy waters

Fascinating Charles, thanks. I was not aware of the African origin of the term Lamb's Bread, or that there was such a link between cultivation of cannabis and the raising of goats and sheep.

order 66

FX Pr. said:
Thanks Alfred-cannaria, i love it too.
If i can give you a good council with a sativa's pool, never place it between you and your friends. You lost two.But i'm not desesperate, i want remake my old work and for better lines now... héhé!

The togolese give is an incredible expectorant (do not use tabacco with it, it make opposite effect) and a "floating" high who follow you morning to afternoon.
The flavor is menthol wich tend to some swiss resinous candys.
The buds are special to describe, see the pic.

Not verry the NL standart lol... but an amazing force.

What is your baby, Alfred? Your lovely baby i say... ?

omg! are there seeds available of this??

EpheDrone25

Ethiopian Highland!!

Ethiopian Highland!!

Here our my 2 baby Ethiopian Highlands! I heard some Noise near my babies and saw a Load if goats near by I scared them away thinking they didnt have time to damage but alas they topped two plants for me!

Great thanks Mother Nature! :joint:

Im hoping for 2 females lets see... :rasta:

Peace

Ep25

B

bonecarver_OG

Charles Xavier said:
Greetings muddy waters

One step further is the practice of allowing the kid/lamb/goat (starved for a few days) to consume the ripened colas. The material goes through the digestive tract quickly and is defecated almost intact. It is then dried and smoked. It is reported that this product results in the most psychoactive of experiences...and is therefore reserved for consumption by revered elders, spiritual shamans and tribal dignitaries.

Sincerely,
Charles.

heard that also from my friends who grew up in angola.

if u wouldnt have mentioned it - i would of have discarded it more as a funny annecdote uncertain of its origins. now i think different.

just got to get a goat...

peace

G

restricting water twords the end of flowering is another way to reduce chlorophyl and get the the fan leaves to yellow. Irie, Bud

Herbalistic

Herbal relaxation...
Veteran
Hola!!!

Thank you for taking the time to scan and post those pages Highlighter! How´s your outdoor rican´s?

Very interesting & informative Charles, that would be logical explanation to the term "lamb´s bread". It´s always nice to hear about these traditional way´s to affect your erb. I hope this thread "reveals" similar tricks, so us all can enjoy of them!

EpheDrone25, seems that you are going to enjoy of your very own goat´s bread:) Ethiopian Highland seems like an strain that is nice to grow & work with! I would loive to try that oneday!!!

I agree with you 100 % mrs. Medjool, this is interesting!

Please post them African nugshot´s Bonecarver when you found time.

Herbalistic is going swimming now and heal himself from severe alcoholtoxication....

G

The flow of incredible sativas through this thread is amazing, it has really opened my eyes to see the huge variety of sativas both rare and exotic being grown all over the world.

Herbalistic

Herbal relaxation...
Veteran
Welcome aboard Hempire, maybe you wanna drop some of those irresistible sativa pic´s that I know you always have;) Yeah, there are huge variation among sativas in just one continent Africa. Different type of high´s are waiting us to enjoy of em -> and we do!!!

Let´s see how my Jock Horror responses to girdling, I have "tortured" it now with complete dry medium & little water by time. Tomorrow, I gonna remove the bark layer also and stick couple stud´s through the main stem. It´s going to be nice to see does my Jock Horror pump some resin and go golder than it is now. This was purplepheno and it started to go little purple couple weeks ago, but then the weather changed and I have got these crazy temps, so I can try the girdle thang...

Thank you guys/gals for a good read & see!!!

Last edited:

zeno

i am going to south africa for a month..
what kind of strains are growing there ? ofcourse i want to trade some seeds :)
nice thread bro ,realy intresting.

Highlighter

ring that bell
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hola Herbalistic!

I have two confirmed girls so far! :D

Nigerian female

Congo girl

Great info, Charles Xavier! :respect: Thx for the confirmation, bone! :wink:
zeno, check out those scans in my last post. I'd be after the Malawi, personally. :yummy:

Herbalistic

Herbal relaxation...
Veteran
Im glad you have the opportunity to travel in South Africa. Herbalistic dreams about that kind of trip too... What a culture, people, nature & erb!!!

Maybe you think us ICmaggers and do us a little report with pic´s included of that famous dagga they got there? I do hope, that you find the time & interest for such a report and that it´s ok considering family..

Hi IC... I need information about Africanseeds bank, this bank have many landrace from Africa like to Ethiopia, i need seeds of this strain but i don´t know any page for buy these, You Know any site??

Thanks and good vibrations