What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tutorial Organics for Beginners

hey everyone, I mixed up my LC's mix #1 to have it not compost. I'm not sure what I did wrong but I'm 90% sure I didn't leave out the tapwater I used long enough, and the Cl in it prevented the microteam from getting it on. My question is, is the soil still good? Can I just wait until its totally dry and add water I'm sure is free of Cl?

This is sorta off topic but I'd like to get a little airpump to bubble water and teas eventually. I dont know anything about them so what kind of price range am I looking at? Can I just use a really small aquarium pump?

thanks dudes and dudettes :joint:

southpaw

Very nice thread, I'm always trying to improve my understanding of how organics work. One day I'll take it a step further and get into the whole "soil recycling" angle, right now I just don't have the space.

One question and one comment. I take it from most of my reading that strict organic growers find high P/K bloom boosters pretty much worthless. Have any of you experimented with one shot doses around the midpoint of the flowering cycle? I guess if you have enough bone/ kelp meal in the soil this is overkill, but I have a can of Beastie Bloomz lying around (actually this stuff is chemical/ organic, the macronutes are chemically derived but supposedly it has humics and leanardite also.) I'm thinking of tossing some in next time around.

If you don't have the space to bubble gallons of water, just grab a water dechlorinator at Petco or your local fish store. These are designed to keep fish, but more importantly nitrifying bacteria, alive in contact with tap water. At 10 drops a gallon a small $4 bottle should last months.

rasta

Flowering nute tea mix:
2/3 cup Peruvian Seabird Guano
2/3 cup Earth Worm Castings
2/3 cup High P Guano (Indonesian or Jamaican)
5 tbs. Maxicrop 1-0-4 powdered kelp extract
5 tbs. Black Strap Molasses
@ 2 cups/5 gallons of water EVERY watering
ok so i should be giving my plants this mixture every time i water? or just molasis in the water? o ya and i dont have maxicrop

Last edited:

rasta

sorry for not asking this in the last post but i forgot....but ya do u have to heat ur water before adding the shit? i have been but should i be?

V

vonforne

Now if everyone pays attention in class to professor B1, you to can grow like the pros.

And remember Prof. B1's motto....2, count them 2, dolomite lime per gallon of soil mixture!

V

Last edited:

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
2 what of dolomite lime per gallon? teaspoonfulls? tablespoonfulls? cups?

Suby

**AWD** Aficianado
Veteran
TheGerminator said:
Rasta you truely are a newb, your plants will forever be deficient, kinda like your life is , and will always be hopefully your parents house get taken away soon from the nonsense your doing

We welcome newb ?'s in this thread and forum, the thread title has the words "for beginners" in it so we are expecting some newbness ;)

Powdered dolomite lime is IMHO essential and best used at a rate of 2 TBS per gallon of soil mix.
You don't ever have to heat anything in organics, the soil biology will break down the organic elementsinto plant useable form.

Peace

Suby

LOL its just a joke i just like to bust his chops for growing in this shitty shitty little closet but w/e someone give rasta a good recipe to get his plants to greenen up they are nitrogen deficient like a bastard, that way i can personally go there and mix some shit up in a bucket for him, should i be using the Mexican ? Peruvian? jamican?

Those plants are gonna get a stinky surprise as soon as i get that recipe , no worries rasta germinators coming to bring some shit for your plants, literally.

Last edited by a moderator:

Suby

**AWD** Aficianado
Veteran
10% worm compost
10% alfalfa meal

as a soild source of nitrogen in your original soil mix.

In a tea try High N mexican bat guano, add molasses and kelp meal to the tea also an you'll have an effective activated tea.

S

rasta

germinator how are my plants nitrogen defficiant. i think they look fine other than this weird curling going on. i would prefer u kept my personal info to urself cuz i dont go telling people where u grow. or bash u for any reason. burn1 bro thanx alot for the help i read in a guano tea recipe once that u should heat the water, but not boil. o well ill stop that now.

V

vonforne

blynx said:
2 what of dolomite lime per gallon? teaspoonfulls? tablespoonfulls? cups?

blynx, that measurement is 2 tablespoons(TBS) per gallon of soil mixture. It is best to count out your gallons and multiply by 2 if you are mixing a bulk amount as I have. If you are mixing just a few containers then it is two in each gallon of mix. I like to add soil-then 1 TBS add some more soil-then the other so you get a good mix inside the container. Always try and mix it evenly to ensure not to create hot spots in the container. And it is best mixed up at least 2 weeks before you plant in it. 4 would be better but 2 would do in a pinch.

rasta, I think B1 meant that you need to keep the temps around 75* to 80*. This is where you will get the most microbial activity in your teas. The micro-organisms do not like it to hot or too cold. I like to keep mine in the downstairs garage....the temps stay around 80 there and as you can see my tea has a good amount of foam to it. That is the tell tale sign that you have hit the jackpot with your tea.

rasta, Suby had some good advice for you. Are you able to get those ingredients? If not chime in and we will work you up something that is available for you.

Germinator, you really should not raze someone in open forum like that. Lending a helping hand without the rhetoric would be a good start.And we like beginners here, they shall be the next masters. We were at one time, all beginners.

V

rasta

thanx von yea i get the foam after like 3 days of bubbling. in veg i kinda fucked myself and i am just realizing that now. they were deff not getting what they wanted for nutes. now im using this Flowering nute tea mix:
2/3 cup Peruvian Seabird Guano
2/3 cup Earth Worm Castings
2/3 cup High P Guano (Indonesian or Jamaican)
5 tbs. Maxicrop 1-0-4 powdered kelp extract
5 tbs. Black Strap Molasses
minus the maxicrop. i think my friend said we could take a trip to worms way soon so ill be able to get some shit there but i have no clue when that is going to happen.

V

vonforne

rasta, you can go to the local grocery store and buy sushi wraps. they come in 100 packs of dried, fresh kelp. You can them grind it up in a blender and add it to your teas. I make most of my stuff anymore just to stay away from places like Worms Way. They (I just heard this) work with law enforcement sometimes or LEO watches this place. One of the two but I do not trust Hydro stores anymore.

And the reason your teas are taking 3 days to foam is because the temps are a little to low. There is nothing wrong with this,its just a time factor. You could speed this up by using a fish tank heater from Walmart.

V

Last edited:

rasta

really? i went in there once with germinator and there and we were lookin around and these collage kids came in first thing they asked for? 1000whps haha someone saw the urbangrower videos hah. but ya they were being quite obvious as to wat they were going to be doing with there equipment. see when i go in there as i know when they see us they are deff thinkin "potheads" but i think as long as u are respectful and we are always. i think we are ok. i heard about that bust tho with the hydro store trying to bust people but it was just one guy and he was growing mass amounts i believe. im growing 4 lol and the people that work there are a 14yr emo kid, a really nice old woman and a younger chick. they seem like really nice people.

thanks on the tip ill check out the sushi section tomorrow annd mix it in with my tea. and ill throw my spare heater in there tonight. u said 80degrees right?

Last edited:

rebel.

awesome post, alot of great info. Most of the stuff listed isn't available in my area nearest hydro store is over 2hrs away, been workin with whats available at the local lowes and walmart. my soil mix that i am workin with and adding to as i learn more about what is needed is:

2x 40lb bags of general purpose potting soil
1/2 20lb bag of mushroom compost(thinking i should add in the rest to the mix)
2x 8dry qt bags of perlite
1 8dry qt bag of vermiculite
purchased a bag of powdered garden lime, thinking 2-3cups will be an adequate amount for this mix?

There is nowhere that i've found yet that caries the ghuanos but i did pick up some foxfarm grow big, big bloom and tiger bloom. Would these be adequate to mix up a tea with? seems all its missing would be the molasses but not sure

i'll let y'all pick that apart and tell me what i'm doin wrong :p

rasta

foxfarm isnt all organic. u can order guano online thats how i got mine last time when i didint know there was a worms way around here

G

Burn1...I see your recommending mix #1 for outdoor.Am I correct in reading my ph does not have to be monitored w/ pure blend at all just aerate my water if its not from a well eh? This has helped me a lot and help me to understand previous problems I had with Fox farm.I was using ph adjuster and it was not working well.thx again

Germinator..why don't you grow up and leave the petty bullshit to yourself.rasta happens to be correct and you're f54king up a really good thread

Latest posts

Latest posts