What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

BlueHemp Nepali and Maroc Inspiration

neongreen

Veteran
Hey all,

I haven't posted much recently, but wanted to share these two beautiful strains here. Both these strains have been reproduced/preserved by The Derg Corra Collective by open pollination.

This is my second year growing the Nepali, and my 4th with the Maroc here at a very wet 52N. This year we had our summer in May and June. Since then it's been mostly rain, cloud, and wind, punctuated by the occasional period of one or two reasonably bright days, so plants growing here are properly tested!

Thankfully both strains are tough as nails, having been bred/acclimatized by BlueHemp in Switzerland, and can be taken before the end of September if needs be, although I think they are a bit better taken down the first or second week of October here.

I planted the Nepalis out in their bed at the start of June, and was lucky to get 3 females, as well as a couple of males which I kept in containers, one of which I kept for pollen.

Here are the 3 females at the end of May. Note the purple stems on two of them.

picture.php

Here they are again, about a week ago, having grown another 6+ feet. Sorry for the pic quality - the 117 kb limit on pic size makes it impossible to post reasonable quality pictures in some cases!

picture.php

It's tough to see in the above pic, but the Nepali pheno on the left (Nep #1) has mostly green stems/foliage, whilst the other two have dark-red, almost black stems. The pheno in the middle (Nep #2) is the most purple/red, and the pheno at the other end of the bed (Nep #3) is somewhere in between the other two.

Here are some more fairly recent pics of Nep #2:
picture.php

https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=74071&pictureid=1787309
picture.php

neongreen

Veteran
Continued from previous post...

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Nep #2 (above) is the pheno I'm most interested in, for a number of reasons, but mostly because leaf septoria (AKA "leaf spot") is a problem outdoors here, along with many other molds and rots, but Nep #2 has hardly been touched by anything bad this year, and also to some degree Nep #3 (the mid-way purple/green pheno).

The greener the pheno, the more susceptible it is to leaf septoria/mold/etc IME to cut to the chase. I hope to work the strain some more in future trying to maximize the number of purple phenos within the line.

See this thread for more on leaf septoria:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=184996

Another reason I'm exited (about the BH Nepali in general) is because, to me the BH Nepali looks and sounds almost identical to Purpurea Ticinensis:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=82275&page=36

Both strains came out of Switzerland, and to me it looks like there's a strong chance the two are closely related. Could the Nepali, if indeed a pure Nepali strain/a worked pure landrace (as I suspect it is), be the breeding stock that Purpurea Ticinensis was created from?

I suspect so!

Any Swiss (or anyone with some knowledge of the subject) out there care to comment?

neongreen

Veteran
Nep #1 continued...

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

That's all for the moment. I have some Marocs to trim, and I need to get it done quick as there is more wet weather on the way and I'm seeing a few moldy buds on the green pheno so it will have to be chopped as soon as the Marocs are out of the way.

djimb

Veteran
I'm in! I've been interested in bluehemp's Nepali for quite a while. That nep#2 is gorgeous!
How's the color and structure of the male you kept?

neongreen

Veteran
djimb - He was purple and fairly minimally branched, although not quite to the extreme of a female Deep Chunk, giving him a bit of an almost affie look/structure IMO. When I say "kept", he was just here long enough to try and extract some pollen. Unfortunately, what little pollen I got from him was a little clumpy so may well not be viable, but I still have over 100 seeds to work with so should be able to find a good stud or 3.

While I'm here, here's a few pics of the Nepali female I had in the same bed last year. She wasn't quite as big as this years females, but how about that colour?!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

fatberry

Hey neongreen,

Great plants! When did you start from seed and did you do that with artifical light or directly under the sun?

I got one Derg Corra Nepali leftover, growing on latitude 51, also very wet here.

This pic is 7 days old.

foto_no_exif.jpg

neongreen

Veteran
Thanks to all for the kind words. Sorry for not posting til now, but got a lot of trimming to get on with. All the Marocs have been harvested now, and just 2 or 3 seeded lower branches left on the Nepalis.

Looking good neongreen! I like the look of the Baglung Nepali, vermontman made a nice cross with the Baglung (Oaxaca79Skull x Baglung Nepali). The Baglung brings in some crazy colors.

Hope it's ok to show some Pics? :)

View Image View Image View Image

Feel free to post pics here. I love Nepali strains/crosses :biggrin:

Is that Baglung available pure anywhere? The display of pisitls on them puts mine to shame!

Hey neongreen,

Great plants! When did you start from seed and did you do that with artifical light or directly under the sun?

I got one Derg Corra Nepali leftover, growing on latitude 51, also very wet here.

This pic is 7 days old.

View Image

Nice plant! Hope you had a good harvest.

I started mine in small pots after an overnight soak on April 16th in unheated shed with south facing window. Then they were planted in their bed at the start of June. I did the same last year, and they also took quite a bit of time to settle in, so I'll probably try germing them in their final positions next time. I had good success doing that with the Marocs this year.

The Nepalis got to a good size this year. The tallest (Nep #3) ended up at about 7 feet, and they all had nice trunks on them. Here they are at the end of August, and they were still growing then!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Edit to add - I think that mounding up the soil (sort of like an airpot) also helped this year, compared to last year. I want to put in some more round cages like the ones I use for the Marocs. I'll try and post some pics here next time, but could be a while. There are a few pics in my galery for anyone who wants a sneaky peak though.

OnceUpon

in a recent comment about erdpurt in the ACE forum, Dubi made mention of his suspician that the purpea ticinensis was derived from a nepali line... seems you 2 came to the same conclusion

CannapotShop

WOW...it is years ago that I have seen these strains - we worked a lot with Bluehemp till 2008 ... then when everything in Switzerland changed

Thanks for the pictures...was such an idiot that i did not safe Bluehemp beans :(

Thcvhunter

Veteran
I agree that purpe ticinensis came from this Nepali line.

I believe this Nepali line is a Chitral Kush crossed with a Nepalese, Swiss, or other strain on the farm up in Switzerland.
The coloring, the structure, the bulbous bulge in the fam leaves mid-way out denoting an indica or kush.

It looks to have been breed to acclimate to Switzerland over a long period, resulting in a a new/novel cultivar.
Excellent breeding stock indeed.
I will be using the Nepali seeds I got from DCC to work a Sativa Hashplant line.

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
Felix of Owl's productions found Purpurea ticinensis in the garden of 2 German ladies as the story goes.Purpurea ticinensis has strong genes in hybrids.Even in a polyhybrid you will find easy the characteristics of Purpurea ticinensis.

According to Dubi of Ace Seeds, he says

Originally Posted by dubi
The more i explore ErdPurt line the more i believe that Purpurea ticinensis was a semi autoflowering colorful strain from Nepal.

neongreen

Veteran
in a recent comment about erdpurt in the ACE forum, Dubi made mention of his suspician that the purpea ticinensis was derived from a nepali line... seems you 2 came to the same conclusion

Thanks for the info OnceUpon. Good to hear others are also seeing the same similarities.

WOW...it is years ago that I have seen these strains - we worked a lot with Bluehemp till 2008 ... then when everything in Switzerland changed

Thanks for the pictures...was such an idiot that i did not safe Bluehemp beans

It's a shame things had to change. I also wished I had saved more of their seeds, BUT, it turns out BlueHemp might be coming back, and if not, Derg Corra has a few more packs of old BH stock to work with.

El Malo made a brief appearance on the SH forum (now BC) and said he still has all the old BH stock. The DCC also have his blessing to reproduce BH strains in BH's absence, but he wants to bring back BH one day. That was around a year ago now, but he has not been back since.

Just received seeds of a hybrid of BlueHemp Nepali x Oaxacan

View Image

Good to see the genes are already being put to good use. That sounds and looks like an excellent cross!

I agree that purpe ticinensis came from this Nepali line.

I believe this Nepali line is a Chitral Kush crossed with a Nepalese, Swiss, or other strain on the farm up in Switzerland.
The coloring, the structure, the bulbous bulge in the fam leaves mid-way out denoting an indica or kush.

It looks to have been breed to acclimate to Switzerland over a long period, resulting in a a new/novel cultivar.
Excellent breeding stock indeed.
I will be using the Nepali seeds I got from DCC to work a Sativa Hashplant line.

What really gives it away for me is the over all branching structure (the way the branches bend inwards, then outwards again towards their ends), and the sparseness of the interior of the plant. I think this pic/plant shows it very well:
picture.php

What strain were you thinking of using for the Sativa Hashplant line?

HI!
With wayback-machine I just wanted to let you know:

https://web.archive.org/web/20070817022145/https://www.bluehemp.ch/4803/105273.html

it is written that it is a pure landrace, as I remember El Malo just adapted all strains to the swiss climate

Thanks for pointing that out. I didn't make the connection that the BH Nepali was from Baglung (which I asked about earlier in the thread), although it was in the description I had for it:
Nepali
Eltern: Baglung, Landrasse, selektioniert
Typ:mostly Indica
Reife draussen: Anfang Oktober
Reife drinnen: ungetestet
10 Samen / Päckchen
30,00 EUR

Now things are starting to make more sense :biggrin:

Purpurea ticinensis has strong genes in hybrids.Even in a polyhybrid you will find easy the characteristics of Purpurea ticinensis.

According to Dubi of Ace Seeds, he says

Thanks mexcurandero. It does seem like the genes it passes on are very dominant! I guess that suggests that it is a very heavily inbred line. Sounds like it needs to be bred with Deep Chunk to see which genes dominate the hybrid!

As promised, here are a few Maroc pics. This is my 4th year growing it and I love it. It's almost perfect IMHO, although most females I get are intersex. No one else seems to have problems in that department, so I'm wondering if it might be something to do with my particular environment. Close proximity to willow trees perhaps?!

This one was a bit of a mutant-monster. It went all fasciated at the top and hit 8+ feet before the top was bent over by high winds.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Latest posts

Latest posts