What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

When to clone a clone?

brown_thumb

I have 4 clones that are about 2 months old and began to pre-flower 10 days ago. They're currently 18 inches (45cm) tall.

These are an attempt at 'monster cropping'... clones made from donor plants in early flowering. The clones eventually reverted to veg and are very bushy, compared to other weed I've grown.

As expected, the growth has been mutated and distorted. They're only now producing 'normal' leaves.

QUESTION: Should I clone the plants now or wait until normal growth stabilizes?

DeMonet

I'd wait.

In my experience (admittedly not as extensive as some members here), piling stresses upon stresses is counterproductive. A "monster cropped" (lol) plant is for sure stressed, and cloning it is another stress added to the first one. At best, you're likely to get clones that are slow to root.

One thing's for sure: waiting a little longer won't hurt.

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
Indeed, I would wait until you have nice healthy 5-bladed leaves before cloning. Your clones will root faster and be healthier overall.

brown_thumb

The newest leaves seem to be 'normalizing'. Below is a pic of the clones. The 4 taller plants are 22-24 inches tall (55-60cm). They all grew at least 2 inches (5cm) in one day.

picture.php

brown_thumb

The new growth has definitely normalized. There are some pre-flowers but I'm not sure these are actually going into flower. Once I'm certain they're flowering I'll trim some of the lower growth and begin LST... splay out the branches to allow more light into the middle areas. AND... I'll top them and clone those too.:D

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...
After you snip, let the cuttings soak in plain water for a few days before you do your normal cloning thing. I use tap water, since the tiny trace amounts of chlorine does help reduce any soggy stem issues.

I have corrected certain problems this way. I had a plant that had "issues" and I wanted to keep the genetics alive, so I cloned it and tossed the rootball away. The leaves showing pigment problems (yellowing, light green, funky growth, etc) slowly turned "forest green" after 4 days and I recall all but 2 of the 20 cuttings developed nicely into plants...when it was all said and done.

Also, the few days of water soaking fills up the xylem with water which loads the leaves with water, which certainly aids in the transpiration process. IMO, reduction of water in the leaves reduces phloem's ability to transport food from the leaves to the rest of the cutting.

More water in the xylem...more food in the phloem (and less wilt too).

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'd wait.

In my experience (admittedly not as extensive as some members here), piling stresses upon stresses is counterproductive. A "monster cropped" (lol) plant is for sure stressed, and cloning it is another stress added to the first one. At best, you're likely to get clones that are slow to root.

One thing's for sure: waiting a little longer won't hurt.

Yep, agree whole heartedly! And looking at your plants....let them grow a bit more.

troutman

Seed Whore
This may help you.

1. The older the plant is within reason the easier it is to clone.
  2. Like waiting 6 weeks or more is good.
  3. Do clone before the plants are sent into flowering.