What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Doing an Experiment, anyone want to try and stop me ?

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
Do a test and see how many days it takes without water for your plants to droop. I think you will be surprised. Only water back what the plant needs to not droop for 3 days...now you know how much to water every other day. It is going to be a very small amount in that soil mixture.

Yeah it can last a long time before drying to the point of drooping. I never let it get that dry though because in pro mix and bottle nutes you will get salt buildup and nutrient concentration that way, and will living soil the bacteria need wet or go dormant. But Ive only had to water them 2 times, they got rained on once outside as well.

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
I think maybe some iron deficiency? Check runoff pH

I did one the last watering I had done it was 7.8. Im thinking there was lots of vermiculite dust in the run off as it was the first major watering and everything was getting settled. I think with subsequent waterings we will see the PH go down, I will definitely monitor it and report.

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
Just wanted to update, the last mixes were failures, due to all the charcoal and woody sitcky things, no ammemdments, and who knows what else. I have started over and taken everyones advice into consideration. Here is my new mix, any suggestions are appreciated. wanted to run it past you guys before I mix and let it sit and test it out in a month.

Super Duper Soil
1 Cubic Foot = 7 Gallons

BASE
[ ] 3G PRO MIX HP (Recycled) (30% Perlite)
[ ] 2G Perlite
[ ] 1G Compost
[ ] 1/3G Guineapig Droppings
[ ] 1/3G Horse Manure
[ ] 1/3G Earthworm Castings

AMMENDMENTS

[ ] 1 Cup Bonemeal
[ ] 1 Cup Kelp Meal
[ ] 1 Cup Oyster Shell
[ ] 1 Cup Dehydrated Molasses
[ ] 1/2 Cup Alfalfa Meal
[ ] 1/2 Cup Blood Meal