What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

HO Scale Slot Cars-Anyone Into Them?

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just had a "Trackmate" system installed using a laptop. I don't understand it all yet but it appears to run races, time your laps and more cool stuff.

Reliving my yute? Yeah kinda:)

cartrack_3.gif

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It's a FAST son of a gun too! Blows some of dem Ferrari's away:)

007.gif

010.gif

Almost done with an absolute rocketship disguised as a 55 Chevy. Stay tuned on that one :hotbounce

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
And the same to you sir :tiphat:

Here's a pair of 55's that are absolute little rockets around the banked turn. So far on the trackmate the 55's are averaging 2.4 seconds around the approx. 65 ft track. I wanna go below 2.0!

However the color of the cars will have to change as they are going so damn fast that my eyes can't see them against the black track.The pic below is taken on a different track, mine is black as shown in previous pics. At roughly 2 seconds they are a blur to my old eyes!

023.gif

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
reliving your youth??? man I loved them cars at night racing round....when I was a kid...I cant imagine how much they prob have evolved...can you still fly off the track cause that's important..we all like the crashes....lol

These cars are so fast, one of them flew clear across the garage and hit the door about 12 feet away! That's fast man!
yTG0R.gif

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here's another 55 that was custom mounted to a chassis that is just too damn fast for a hard body car as when this one goes off the rails it'll fly 20+ feet and possibly crack the body. So I'm mounting it to a new Lexan 55 Chevy and putting something just a little slower on this one..........eventually:)

001.gif

St. Phatty

I used to. HO & the bigger ones. What was the scale - 1/24 ? 1/30 ?

I remember, there used to be a lot more rental tracks for the big ones.

I remember once I was at Celebrity Sports Center in Denver (HUGE pool, 3 LARGE 1/24 slot car tracks, + large HO tracks, bowling, etc.) Big family place in the 70's.

There was one lane which was mainly one BIG banked turn.

I remember one day, some guy was running without a body (on his car). And, of course there were spectators watching ... right at the banked turn.

His car came out of the slot, and planted itself in a woman's right upper cheek. LOTS of blood. No need for forensic scientists.

He felt bad & went home.

Anyway, only saw that happen once.

Actually, that was how I learned to solder ... wind motors ... etc.

I remember, I read an article about how you could make your motors FASTER by thinning out the case where it was flat (top and bottom). At the age of about 12, I brought a file and a motor case on a family trip, and filed the motor case for about 1 1/2 hours. Don't know how my family put up with it !

Last edited:

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Can't get enough. Here's a custom built track that just came in late the day before yesterday! This is a rocket fast track and awesome banked turn

5.jpg

Wow ,,,that new track is awesome.
We raced HO slots in the bay area as kids.
Talbots Toys in San Mateo had a massive track in a side room,,, so fun.
Now I race 1/24th drags in Modesto every other Saturday.
Thanks for starting this thread,, quite the flashback.

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This is a really fast track. However, there are also brass chassis cars, made in the USA ( there are also made in china but I'm specifically referring to the made in the USA cars ), that have no magnets and are thereby staying on the track based on the skill of the driver and all I can say to those who remember racing the big 1/24 scale cars "back in the old days" is that these little "riggens", or "landsharks" will send your brain back when they start fishtailing around the banked turn..........and you realize it ain't no magnet holding it on!
headbang.gif
:woohoo: