What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Advantages of a SEALED room...

moses wellfleet

Veteran
Many growers are going sealed these days and with good reason.....

Here are a couple benefits off the top of my head:

-You no longer pump mj fragrance all over your 'hood.

-Constant perfect co2 levels.

-Less points of entry for pests and disease.

-Climate control does not depend on outside factors.

-Gone are tell tale vents visible from outside.

-Sealed rooms generally run a lot quieter.

I am sure other folks can think of more advantages?

Granger2

Veteran
A big one is humidity control, making it possible to never or seldom have PM or Botritis. Many growers fight this constantly because they are pulling humid, spore laden air thru their room constantly. -granger

oscar169

A big one is humidity control, making it possible to never or seldom have PM or Botritis. Many growers fight this constantly because they are pulling humid, spore laden air thru their room constantly. -granger

He is right, I have to run to Huge Dehus @ night to try n keep the numbers where they need to be, you spend more money on power with the sealed rooms, But I can tell you this you can damn near get more pounds out of 1 selaed room vs 2 open rooms, its crazy what numbers you hit Per Light in sealed rooms....:woohoo:

moses wellfleet

Veteran
He is right, I have to run to Huge Dehus @ night to try n keep the numbers where they need to be, you spend more money on power with the sealed rooms, But I can tell you this you can damn near get more pounds out of 1 selaed room vs 2 open rooms, its crazy what numbers you hit Per Light in sealed rooms....:woohoo:

It is true you will use more power on dehueys and air con. One way to reduce power consumption would be to use air cooled hoods that suck outside air, so the air cons work less!

For me i didn't like the idea of one tiny hole in the ducting emptying my co2 cylinder in a couple hours. So I am happy to pay the extra power!

But many people swear by air cooled hoods, especially effective in cold climates!

Phillthy

Seven-Thirty
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i still scrub inside my sealed room. cant be too safe. sealed rooms can have a precise environment year round if insulated. less stress for plants. if you cant see it, smell it, or hear it then it is a safer bet.

moses wellfleet

Veteran
i still scrub inside my sealed room. cant be too safe. sealed rooms can have a precise environment year round if insulated. less stress for plants. if you cant see it, smell it, or hear it then it is a safer bet.
thanx for stopping by phillthy, your padded room is one of the grows that inspired me to seal it up:tiphat:

Another benefit would be extra space in the room when you don't have ducting and in line fans!

overbudjet

Veteran
I use scrubber in room no duck either. Air cool hood,in winter i recycle the heat from the hood to heat all my house cut my furnace use by almost 90% so the added cost induce by the a/c and the dehu are covered in winter at least:peacock:

Jnugg

Veteran
Sealed rooms is where it's at (known that for a looong time) but I haven't had the balls to build one since I rent.

The only con to running a sealed room is your electric costs (and initial setup costs,depending on what you already have) will go through the roof because of a/c (mini splits are the shit),dehumidifier(s),humidifier(s),environmental controls, cO2 tanks or generators (regulators) or burners,etc.

But still,for absolute stealth from the outside world as well as 110% control/dialage of environment they cannot be beat!

I'll stick to runnin' tents for now until one day I can own a house rather then rent a unit in a duplex.Then I'll be rockin a few small sealed vertical rooms flippin' & floppin' and hopefully getting the wealth through stealth!

P

Puscifer

Down here in the Dirty South a sealed room is pretty much mandatory. Between the oppressive heat/humidity and never ending season of insects/pests and mandatory minimum prison sentences...
Sealed, insulated, mini split AC, dehumidifier and co2 = PERFECT environment 24/7/365 no matter whats going on outside.:)

moses wellfleet

Veteran
Down here in the Dirty South a sealed room is pretty much mandatory. Between the oppressive heat/humidity and never ending season of insects/pests and mandatory minimum prison sentences...
Sealed, insulated, mini split AC, dehumidifier and co2 = PERFECT environment 24/7/365 no matter whats going on outside.:)

Do you use air cooled hoods, I am wondering how they function in a warm climate?

P

Puscifer

Nope, no air cooling of the hoods. (Magnum XXL's)
I tried cooling the hoods but the howling noise of the Vortex fan was not worth the security risk.

Granger2

Veteran
If noise is a problem, that would be about the only reason I can see for not air cooling your lamps. Good luck. -granger

Treetroit City

Moderately Super
Veteran
Not air cooling here but I'm also using Gavitas so I have no choice. It's nice to not have to deal with ducting, fans and cleaning glass.

frankenstein2

Astronaut Status
Veteran
I cool 3 1k's with outside filtered air in my sealed room. Have a 12,000 btu standing ac, and a co2 burner as well. Never get's above 84f. Granted I have 4 430 cfm fans running all the time. It works great.