What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Braggs Liquid Aminos?

Corpsey

pollen dabber
ICMag Donor
Veteran
should i just leave it on the stir fry?

or could it benefit a soil? diluted of course. It is not heated or fermented in the making.

Bragg Liquid Aminos is a Certified NON-GMO liquid protein concentrate, derived from healthy soybeans, that contains the following Essential and Non-essential Amino Acids in naturally occurring amounts:

16 Amino Acids
Alanine
Arginine
Aspartic Acid
Glutamic Acid
Glycine
Histidine
Isoleucine
Leucine
Methionine
Phenylalanine
Proline
Serine
Threonine
Tyrosine
Valine
Lysine
LA-nutpanel09web.jpg

naturally occurring sodium, not added.

maybe im crazy?

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
Good question,I'd say the high sodium would be the problem.
Then again how some of these amino acids would be utilized by the plant,organisms,and other processes is another question.
Perhaps there may be a way to remove the sodium.........?

G

greenmatter

are they all L aminos? (D's do nothing for plants) ...... seems like a lot of salt to me for being made of soy beans, but then again i know zero about soy beans. one thing i read about glutamic acid is that the main synthetic source of it is MSG or monosodiumglutamate, i hope that is not where the sodium comes from, i would make sure before you use this stuff. that would not be crazy

big_daddy

Or...........You could go to Trader Joe's and spend 7-8 bucks on a gallon jug of Aloe Vera juice and get a liquid dose of amino acids AND enzymes, vitamins, minerals, PGRs.......the list is huge. Check out this link (Table 1 page 1602)

And further enjoy your stir fry:)

b_d

G

greenmatter

Or...........You could go to Trader Joe's and spend 7-8 bucks on a gallon jug of Aloe Vera juice and get a liquid dose of amino acids AND enzymes, vitamins, minerals, PGRs.......the list is huge. Check out this link (Table 1 page 1602)

And further enjoy your stir fry:)

b_d

this stuff sounds better than a stir fry. are you using it? tell us more.

not trying to hijack your thread corpse.......sorry

Corpsey

pollen dabber
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ok guys this is about to get long, haha.

not at all greenmatter, i'd like to talk about any amino acids with the intention of using it for our plants. Yes they are all liquid amino in braggs.

Thank you b_d, that sounds perfect. I knew aloe vera was good stuff and planned on picking up some juice in the future, but didn't know about the aminos in it. I was asking about Braggs because i have been buying it for close to 10 years now, so i always have it on hand.

I know they are synthesized by the plant so whatever it needs, it has. but was wondering if we could aid in any way by adding some to the soil or leaves via foliar.

look at how many of the same amino acids they both have:
Alanine- in braggs
arginine- in braggs
aspartic acid- in braggs
glutamic acid- in braggs
glycine- in braggs
histidine- in braggs
hydroxyproline
isoleucine- in braggs
leucine- in braggs
lysine
methionine- in braggs
phenylalanine- in braggs
proline- in braggs
threonine- in braggs
tyrosine- in braggs
valine- in braggs

with the benefit of not having sodium too.

so aloe vera has one amino acid that braggs doesn't:
Hydroxyproline. I looked it up and it seems that hydroxyproline is a glycoprotein used by higher plants for cell wall plasticity.

the aminos in braggs that weren't in aloe vero are:
Serine. All i can understand from this one is that it has to do with glucose and being a important function in the formation of some enzymes and metabolites.

I found this site(http://www.priyachem.com/effect.htm#) about using amino acids with plants. they are a company selling a product so take it with a grain of salt, but it seems correct.
here are some quotes..

The application of Amino Acids before, during and after the stress conditions supplies the plants with Amino Acids which are directly related to stress physiology and thus has a preventing and recovering effect.

Glycine and Glutamic Acid are fundamental metabolites in the process of formation of vegetable tissue and chlorophyll synthesis.
These Amino Acids help to increase chlorophyll concentration in the plant leading to higher degree of photosynthesis. This makes crops lush Green.

The opening of the stomas is controlled by both external factors (light, humidity, temperature and salt concentration) and internal factors (amino acids concentration, abcisic acid etc.)
The Stomas are closed when light and humidity are low & temperature and salt concentration are high, when stomas are closed photosynthesis and transpiration are reduced (low absorption of macro & micronutrients) and respiration is increased (Carbohydrate destruction)
In this case the metabolic balance of the plant is negative. Catabolism is higher than anabolism. This implies slow metabolism and stops the plant growth.
L-glutamic acid acts as a cytoplasm osmotic agent of the “guard cells”. Thus favouring the opening of the stomas.

Amino Acids have a chelating effect on micronutrients. When applied together with micronutrients, the absorption and transportation of micronutrients inside the plant is easier.
This effect is due to the chelating action and to the effect of cell membrane permiability.
L - Glycine & L - Glutamic Acid are known to be very effective chelating agents.

L - Arginine induces synthesis of flower and fruit related hormones.

L - Proline helps in fertility of Pollen. L - Lysine, L - Methionine, L - Glutamic Acid are essential amino acids for pollination.
These amino acids increase the pollen germination and the length of the pollinic tube.

The equilibrium of the microbial flora of the agriculture soil is a basic question for a good mineralisation of the organic matter and also for a good soil structure and fertility around the roots.
L-methionine is precursor growth factors that stabilize the cell walls of the microbial flora.

L - Glutamic Acid & L - Aspartic Acid, by transamination give rise to the rest of the amino acids.
L - Proline & Hydroxy Proline act mainly on the hydric balance of the plant strengthening the cellular walls in such a way that they increase resistance to unfavourable climatic conditions.
L - Alanine, L - Valine & L - Leucine improve quality of fruits.
L - Histidine helps in proper ripening of fruits.

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
interesting.
how and in what amounts would you apply it?

added to nutes, or in a tea?

i had some of the same musings, but did not research them. thanx for that.

mad librettist

Veteran
Braggs Liquid Aminos?

bragg aminos is just expensive soy sauce.

you can use soy sauce in a tea, supposedly to encourage fungal action.

Corpsey

pollen dabber
ICMag Donor
Veteran
bragg aminos is just expensive soy sauce.

I went to look further into that, and while they are similar they do have some differences.

soy sauce/tamari is usually made with soybeans, wheat, alcohol(preservative), salt or sodium.

braggs is sold as just soybeans and water.

but now after doing some research on how braggs is made, i can only find speculation, it seems that it is in inferior product to any naturally fermented soy sauce or tamari. so you are right mad lib.

http://www.essentialoilcookbook.com/html/fascinating-braggs.htm

"The other topic you asked about in your letter was about how Bragg's Aminos are made. Once again, here's an armchair biologist's answer, meaning that I don't know this for sure, but it's the only thing that makes scientific sense. If I were given some vegetable protein and were asked to make it into amino acids without spending a lot of money on it, I would boil it up with some hydrochloric acid. This would break it down to amino acids, but of course it would be too acidic to be palatable. So I would then neutralize the acid with baking soda, causing the reaction mixture to look like this:

2HCl + Na2CO3 ===> 2NaCl + CO2 + H2O

So the salt gets made by mistake as it were. Now someone (I forget who) followed up on this and contacted the Bragg's company to ask if this was how they did it, and they denied it. However, they didn't disclose how they do actually do it, so in the absence of correct information, and with an extremely salty taste in their product, I still consider the above process to play at least some part in their procedure."

That's it. We don't know for sure. All I know is that Griselda has an impressive mind for original theoretical scientific thought, and I sure felt
awful after having a bit of Bragg's a several years ago, just like I did when after having some dulse flakes in raw food recipes - I think that they heat the dulse to drive out the moisture so that it is chopable, thus cooking it and making the "deadly" form of sodium chloride.

Hope you find her theory interesting and worthy of second-thinking the inclusion of the Bragg's product in recipes. - Dave Klein, 1997

and here is an explanation of how to brew soy sauce, and how to make non-brewed which it seems braggs is the later since they claim it isn't fermented nor heated..
http://www.madehow.com/Volume-3/Soy-Sauce.html
Non-brewed method (chemical hydrolysis)

Instead of fermenting, many modern manufactures artificially break down the soy proteins by a chemical process known as hydrolysis because it is much faster. (Hydrolysis takes a few days as compared to several months for brewing.)

In this method, soybeans are boiled in hydrochloric acid for 15-20 hours to remove the amino acids. When the maximum amount has been removed, the mixture is cooled to stop the hydrolytic reaction.
The amino acid liquid is neutralized with sodium carbonate, pressed through a filter, mixed with active carbon, and purified through filtration. This solution is known as hydrolyzed vegetable protein.
Caramel color, corn syrup, and salt are added to this protein mixture to obtain the appropriate color and flavor. The mixture is then refined and packaged.
Sauces produced by the chemical method are harsher and do not have as desirable a taste profile as those produced in the traditional brewed manner. The difference in taste occurs because the acid hydrolysis used in the non-brewed method tends to be more complete than its fermentation counterpart. This means that almost all the proteins in the non-brewed soy sauce are converted into amino acids, while in the brewed product more of the amino acids stay together as peptides, providing a different flavor. The brewed product also has alcohols, esters, and other compounds which contribute a different aroma and feel in the mouth.

In addition to the brewed method and the non-brewed method, there is also a semi-brewed method, in which hydrolyzed soy proteins are partially fermented with a wheat mixture. This method is said to produce higher quality sauces than can be produced from straight hydrolysis.

im glad i brought up this thread because i don't think i would of looked up braggs otherwise, but man i feel silly for not looking into it for years.

mad librettist

Veteran
go to where your local japanese expat community goes for Japanese products. You will find a nice assortment of exceptional soy sauces. Good soy sauce (shoyu) has no substitute.

Corpsey

pollen dabber
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I will be doing that. im also a tamari addict, so i can pick that up as well.

and aloe vero juice has all the same amino acids as braggs plus tons of other stuff. so screw braggs, haha

B_D- what kind of application rate do you use for aloe?

big_daddy

B_D- what kind of application rate do you use for aloe?

yourcorpse,

As a foliar and a rooting compound I use 2ozs Aloe Vera, 1tsp liquid fulvic acid and 1 tsp liquid kelp/ga. AV has salicylic acid (found in willow trees) which is known to help rooting.

I apply as a foliar spray every 10 days. I soak my rooting media with this solution and occasionally spray new cuttings. I've found that my cuttings root as quick as using conventional "grow store" methods.

You can also add 1/4 tsp ga of liquid silicon to this solution. I also use 2 ozs Aloe Vera juice with 1/2 tsp Bio-Ag TM-7 and a TBSP of liquid kelp per gallon as a soil drench every 10 days.

One important thing I have noticed is that the rooted clones start stacking nodes with little stretch. I truly think Aloe Vera is an all around beneficial tonic for any plant, and we all know how good it is for human health.

b_d

Here's a pic of a clone that just rooted a couple weeks ago:
attachment.php

Attachments

• AXHT (2).jpg
    AXHT (2).jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 23

Corpsey

pollen dabber
ICMag Donor
Veteran
nice! thanks for that.
that clone is beautiful, all stacked like a cougar on south beach!

G

greenmatter

yourcorpse,

As a foliar and a rooting compound I use 2ozs Aloe Vera, 1tsp liquid fulvic acid and 1 tsp liquid kelp/ga. AV has salicylic acid (found in willow trees) which is known to help rooting.

I apply as a foliar spray every 10 days. I soak my rooting media with this solution and occasionally spray new cuttings. I've found that my cuttings root as quick as using conventional "grow store" methods.

You can also add 1/4 tsp ga of liquid silicon to this solution. I also use 2 ozs Aloe Vera juice with 1/2 tsp Bio-Ag TM-7 and a TBSP of liquid kelp per gallon as a soil drench every 10 days.

One important thing I have noticed is that the rooted clones start stacking nodes with little stretch. I truly think Aloe Vera is an all around beneficial tonic for any plant, and we all know how good it is for human health.

b_d

Here's a pic of a clone that just rooted a couple weeks ago:
attachment.php

i'm getting a gallon in the mornin'. good info BD thanks