Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Indoor Grows - Soil > A Cannabis Growing Guide - All that you need to know to get started

Thread Title Search
Click for great deals at MB Ferts
A Cannabis Growing Guide - All that you need to know to get started Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-23-2009, 05:59 PM #21
moonymonkey

moonymonkey has a spectacular aura aboutmoonymonkey has a spectacular aura aboutmoonymonkey has a spectacular aura aboutmoonymonkey has a spectacular aura about
great post,an thanks for spending ur time to do it...this should help alot of peeps ot there...peace mm/
moonymonkey is offline Quote

Old 02-23-2009, 10:15 PM #22
Hermit43

Hermit43 is on a distinguished road
Now thats what i'm talking about.
Great info for rookies like me.
Thanks a bunch Kodiak I printed it out and will use it as a guide line for future grows.
Very gracious of you to share all that experience. Not to mention great pics.
KUDOS ...........
H43
Hermit43 is offline Quote

Old 02-24-2009, 03:09 AM #23
Kodiak
Mad Scientist

Kodiak is a jewel in the roughKodiak is a jewel in the roughKodiak is a jewel in the roughKodiak is a jewel in the roughKodiak is a jewel in the roughKodiak is a jewel in the roughKodiak is a jewel in the roughKodiak is a jewel in the rough
Good to hear that you like it, I basically compiled the information that I would have liked to know when I started to grow.

I didn't go too deep into any subject as there are great post here on the forum on everything from nutrients to light schedules, so surf around.

It's good to keep in mind that often less is more, I used to over water and over feed my plants a lot in the beginning, just because I worried too much about how they were doing.

Now I just make a good soil mix and watch the plants grow. If they have a nice green colour and the leafs are happily pointing upwards, they are doing fine.

Once they go into flowering I start messing around with the dutch organic fertilizers to maximize bud production and to make sure that the plant are getting enough of everything. I can really recommend BioBizz or other similar organic fertz if you want buds that taste and smell great. Naturally this is mostly genetic in the first place.

Sometimes you will run into plants that smell so great they are almost addictive (you just keep going back to smell them every 5 minutes) and sometimes you get plants that smell, shall we say, not so good. It all depends. Personally I favor the ones that smell like fruit or berries. Sometimes you even run into flowers with an unique smell, something unlike anything you ever smelled before. Usually these are complex aromas with several levels of scents with different onsets.

Growing cannabis is a real adventure.
Kodiak is offline Quote

Old 02-24-2009, 06:27 AM #24
messn'n'gommin'
ember

messn'n'gommin' is just really nicemessn'n'gommin' is just really nicemessn'n'gommin' is just really nicemessn'n'gommin' is just really nicemessn'n'gommin' is just really nicemessn'n'gommin' is just really nicemessn'n'gommin' is just really nicemessn'n'gommin' is just really nicemessn'n'gommin' is just really nicemessn'n'gommin' is just really nicemessn'n'gommin' is just really nice
Did I hear somebody say...STICKY!?

Namaste, mess
messn'n'gommin' is offline Quote

Old 02-24-2009, 09:42 AM #25
Kodiak
Mad Scientist

Kodiak is a jewel in the roughKodiak is a jewel in the roughKodiak is a jewel in the roughKodiak is a jewel in the roughKodiak is a jewel in the roughKodiak is a jewel in the roughKodiak is a jewel in the roughKodiak is a jewel in the rough
I updated the guide.

Now it also includes a short introduction and a chapter on germinating seeds. I also expanded on the information on breeding, added some photos and more.
Kodiak is offline Quote

Old 02-24-2009, 05:35 PM #26
andy12

andy12 is on a distinguished road
This is a very helpfull guide, very well written, please update soon
andy12 is offline Quote

Old 02-24-2009, 06:21 PM #27
andy12

andy12 is on a distinguished road
kodiak, do you have a grow journal?
i'm curious about your grow and lighting setup.
do you use liquid fertilizer?
'
andy12 is offline Quote

Old 02-24-2009, 07:09 PM #28
Kodiak
Mad Scientist

Yes, I always make detailed notes on every grow. After the grow is finished I compile the information into specific grow sheets for each strain. Here is an example:

I use liquid fertilizers. The complete BioBizz line and the supplemental BioNova line. Also
liquid silicon root stimulator, seaweed extract and liquid humus. There is a detailed description of everything relating to my grow in the document above.

I have three different grow rooms; one for mother plants, one for flowering and one for breeding projects.

I used to have a cooltube but upgraded to a Sputnik Coolstar aircooled hood, which runs a lot cooler and does a better job than the cooltube. The hood is connected to a duct fan with a carbon scrubber, so there is no smell at all from the grow. I use a 600w Phillips LuxGear ballast that can handle both MH and HPS bulbs.

The picture in the guide pretty much explains how to rig a setup similar to mine. It took some fine tuning but now I have it dialed in perfectly.
Kodiak is offline Quote

Old 02-24-2009, 11:32 PM #29
Hydro-Soil
Banned

Hydro-Soil has much to be proud ofHydro-Soil has much to be proud ofHydro-Soil has much to be proud ofHydro-Soil has much to be proud ofHydro-Soil has much to be proud ofHydro-Soil has much to be proud ofHydro-Soil has much to be proud ofHydro-Soil has much to be proud ofHydro-Soil has much to be proud ofHydro-Soil has much to be proud ofHydro-Soil has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
You are right Che, naturally the pistils are the pollen receptors but the resin on them aid in catching the pollen.
Pistils don't produce resin. At least I've never seen any trichomes on them. They're definitely hairy for catching pollen though.

Basically you can consider any piece of pollen stuck to resin to be dead and out of the game. It's not going to move (resin is too sticky) so it won't be able to come in contact with the pistil.

I don't know who first stated that resin production was supposedly part of "Trying to get pollinated" but it's a bit of myth that should die.
Hydro-Soil is offline Quote

Old 02-25-2009, 01:11 AM #30
Pompey_Monkey

Pompey_Monkey will become famous soon enoughPompey_Monkey will become famous soon enoughPompey_Monkey will become famous soon enough
Absolutely fantastic post Kodiak!

I wanna see some graphs now.
Surely you've got a huge stash of analyses somewhere on your PC...?

I also particularly enjoyed your explanation of why you have to go to F2 to ensure a recessive trait is promulgated throughout the gene pool - I'd never bothered getting my head round that one before until it came up in your post. Thankyou!

PM me if you'd like detailed feedback and some constructive critcism on your post. Or not!

Last edited by Pompey_Monkey; 02-25-2009 at 01:28 AM.. Reason: adding compliment!
Pompey_Monkey is offline Quote