What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Need advice on new inline fan purchase

Gone Camping

Sitting in growage last night i noticed the Hydrofarm 6" inline fan on my 4x4 tent pulsating.. as in rpm speeds slowing and quickening back up. First i disconnected from speed controller and it made no difference.. just to eliminate that as a possibility. I then swapped to the other identical inline on my other tent that's not being utilized at moment because seedlings are still in cabinet.

Looking to replace it, or even both. I'm the type to try and upgrade components as i have a need, searching last night i see the Vortex which seems popular rated at 347cfm. I'm also seeing a few offerings from AC Infinity.

Is there something i should consider otherwise? Kinda need to make a purchase quickly.

Thanks for any input y'all.. :good:

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have always used Vortex. Still running the same ones I bought over a decade ago. Not a single issue.

dank.Frank

Plus one for Vortex. I needed a bit more volume to replace my S&P fan and it’s just as quiet at low speed plus the variable speed control makes it easier to move more air as the bitches get stinky.

Big M

AC Infinity's Cloudline T-6 or the S-6 are rated at 402 cfm. I bought the T-6 because of the digital temp and humidity control; not bad for about a buck fifty.

I've had it running close to a year now. A few months ago, I sent their customer service an email saying that I heard a slight squealing noise on three different occasions. I explained that I wasn't really concerned about it, and only wanted to touch base during the warranty period in case it became an issue. It only made the noise for a few minutes, and when it did make the noise, it was still quieter than any other fan I've owned. To my surprise they sent a brand new fan and controller, and don't want the old one back. I haven't heard the noise since, and the original fan is still running strong. So now I have a spare for when the original one does finally die, but will more likely use it to set up a new tent.

Aside from the few times it made the noise, it has been whisper quiet on level 2 out of 6. Plenty of airflow to suck in the walls on my 3x3x6 tent pulling through a 6 inch AC Infinity carbon filter. Zero airflow or smell issues.

I also have a pair of their 120mm usb fans hooked up to one of their controllers for airflow within the tent. They are almost completely silent and quite effective and easy to mount wherever needed. Probably going to add another pair or two to add circulation.

Gone Camping

AC Infinity's Cloudline T-6 or the S-6 are rated at 402 cfm. I bought the T-6 because of the digital temp and humidity control; not bad for about a buck fifty.

I've had it running close to a year now. A few months ago, I sent their customer service an email saying that I heard a slight squealing noise on three different occasions. I explained that I wasn't really concerned about it, and only wanted to touch base during the warranty period in case it became an issue. It only made the noise for a few minutes, and when it did make the noise, it was still quieter than any other fan I've owned. To my surprise they sent a brand new fan and controller, and don't want the old one back. I haven't heard the noise since, and the original fan is still running strong. So now I have a spare for when the original one does finally die, but will more likely use it to set up a new tent.

Aside from the few times it made the noise, it has been whisper quiet on level 2 out of 6. Plenty of airflow to suck in the walls on my 3x3x6 tent pulling through a 6 inch AC Infinity carbon filter. Zero airflow or smell issues.

I also have a pair of their 120mm usb fans hooked up to one of their controllers for airflow within the tent. They are almost completely silent and quite effective and easy to mount wherever needed. Probably going to add another pair or two to add circulation.

After sale customer service is important to me.. thanks for sharing your experience.

Comparing the T6 to the S6.. the S6 is pricier with no temp/humidity control but has speed control (8 speed)

The T6 has the added temp/humidity control and speed control (10speed) and is coming in $30 cheaper.

Think i'll be buying a T6 tonight, maybe a Vortex S-Line next week.. do a long term comparison in the event i ever need another.

Thanks..

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I realise this is just for an inlet and so a mixed flow bathroom like fan is okay, assisting the air along a route is was traveling anyway. However it's top money for weak goods that can't do much else. You might want to use this fan with a filter one day. Which will mean running it turned up a lot, but doing little.

Search out the differences between Axial and Centrifugal fans. For ducting with any complications the centrifugal is better. Just a few meters of spiral ducting laid along the rafters is enough to slow the axials flow significantly. They're for wide straight hard pipe. They don't really belong on our shelves but are much cheaper to make.

If you look in a centrifugal fan you can usually see the motor manufacturers name on the rotor. Elta and EBM are the big two. Used in most things down the hvac store.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
I have the t6. You set it to a speed. Then you set "triggers". If the humidity or temp goes above or below your trigger the fan turns on to the speed you set.
Then you set an alarm trigger. If these paramedic are broken the fan cones on full speed on setting 10.
If none of the temp or humidity settings have been triggered then dan stays off.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
That VTX centrifugal puts 364 through their filter while the axial S600 manages 215

Their filter looks odd. I was almost excited to see they lay 66mm beds. Then in the spec that dropped to 57mm beds. Then in the dimensions it drops to a 40mm bed. So actually moved from 20% extra to 20% less.

Would I buy from them?

Big M

Hey Gone Camping, it comes with a flat plate type of mount that is attached to the side of the unit. That has four holes in it that could be used to bolt it to whatever you'd like. It didn't come with any other bracket.

Gone Camping

Installed the AC Infinity T6 yesterday, have yet to install the sensor and program it yet. But i gotta say, i'm impressed with it's lightweight and low noise. Sure, set on 10 you definately hear it running but no more than the Hydrofarm.

The manufacturer even included any hardware ya might need, wall anchors, screws, zip ties and holders.. impressive.

Attachments

• Cloudline T6 installed.jpg
    Cloudline T6 installed.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 25

Drewsif

Installed the AC Infinity T6 yesterday, have yet to install the sensor and program it yet. But i gotta say, i'm impressed with it's lightweight and low noise. Sure, set on 10 you definately hear it running but no more than the Hydrofarm.

The manufacturer even included any hardware ya might need, wall anchors, screws, zip ties and holders.. impressive.

Wait til it kicks on full speed in the middle of the night. Maybe they'll send you another crappy repurposed unsuitable "grow" fan if you complain.

Growers aren't picky/apprehensive enough about the gear they buy. Practically every "grow" brand is equivalent to fleamarket grade stereo equipment. I think I even saw a Pyramid brand ballast once.

ridoo

Hi,
just wanted to know if someone use or see the td-silent line of S&P in action, they are advertised as very quiet but... dunno the real thing...

good grow all
rdx

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Wait til it kicks on full speed in the middle of the night. Maybe they'll send you another crappy repurposed unsuitable "grow" fan if you complain.

Growers aren't picky/apprehensive enough about the gear they buy. Practically every "grow" brand is equivalent to fleamarket grade stereo equipment. I think I even saw a Pyramid brand ballast once.

You don't like the AC Infinity units?
I've only had it for like 6 months. But so far I like it. I like the temp and humidity display. And I like the Triggers. The only thing I wish is that you could set different speeds for each trigger.
You can only set it to one speed for all the triggers. And if the alarm is triggered then it will turn on full blast.
It's quieter than my Fantec.
I actually bought one of their 6" mufflers and attached it to the Fantec.

Latest posts

Latest posts