What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Sudanese landrace, dwarf African Sativa

ngakpa

Veteran
Anyone got any of these going yet?

Interested to see reports, really promising accession from Nile River region

afaik not a place from where genetics have been introduced to the West, until now

EDIT:

For anyone scanning quickly through this thread, most of the discussion on Page 1 is about a different landrace, i.e. Sinai, which is an early maturing Middle Eastern type plant

Cvh

Supermod
:whee:
I just received my order today with Sinai and such.
Now I want this one too. Grr.
Soon time to reorder I think and get me also a pack off these...

djonkoman

Veteran
not yet, but when I saw them appear they did really interest me.

is there any other info you could tell about them besides what's on the site and your facebook page?

in the description they are compared to the sinai. how different/similar to sinai are they? might they be a mix between genetics from the north(like sinai) and more from the south(more tropical africa/ethiopia), or more likely only related to the sinai and no relation with landraces to the south?

from what I've read/heard over the years, the middle eastern landraces often contain early flowering.
in the sudanese description it's mentioned it is long flowering, but what about the daylength it needs to START flowering? 'dwarf' to me would suggest it might start early, however it could also just mean short internodes.

basically, what I want to know is how much potential there is that I could grow it outdoors here(netherlands) without crossing it to something earlier, just selection of the earliest plants to adapt it?

djonkoman

Veteran
sorry djonkoman, I meant to give you a more detailed answer but had to get off the computer.
The Middle Eastern strains do have faster phenos in them but I don't know how often they are showing up in the seed packs. I just finished a Lebanese grow and two of the plants were fast finishing at 50 days. The rest went 70. Also had Sinai going and it could easily have gone 80 days. That is indoors so outside may yield different results. For a fast line I would look at the Moroccan Beldia. I believe it consistently finishes at 50 days.
The Lebanese is a very good smoke so would be worth pursuing if you don't mind a little pheno hunting but I think the Sinai might be late for your climate and unfortunately the Sudanese too.
With all that being said there is something else to consider. Ngakpa says that they flower at a certain stage of maturity. Others call them semi auto flower. These strains actually trigger not long after the longest day of the year so if your climate will allow then you might be able to finish them. Another little trick with these is that they are sensitive to stress. Re potting can set them off. Might be able to play around with that and kick start flowering a little bit ahead of schedule so it could finish in your climate

thanks, that was exactly what I was getting at.
the days of flower is relevant, but if that kind of semi-auto trait, without being really auto, is in there, there is hope that it can be selected to flower early enough around here.

I can deal with a bit longer flowering, 12 weeks of flower is doable as long as they start in july. 6 weeks of flower is still late if they only start in september.
but for them to start flowering in july they have to start around 16 hours daylight, so if it has the tropical sativa type of flower induction, with shorter days and later age that they become receptive to the shorter days. but if they display more of that semi-auto kind of flowering I have hope, many of the early strains bred for lattitudes like mine also displays that kind of behaviour, sensitive to flowering from being rootbound, being receptive for short days alreay at a young age, etc.

I do have my own crosses, my current project in progress has a part kumaoni crossed in, and I got some really good traits from there. unfortunatly on it's own without being crossed to something early it was just too late, I forceflowered a plant but still it did not get to finish optimally. and with more tropical kind of landraces there's just no chance.

but the ineresting part about the sudan could be if it could be selected without crossing, so I could sample a more accurate representation from it then just what shines through after crossing it into my own early lines.

ngakpa

Veteran
all the discussion above about the Sinai is going to confuse the hell out of anyone reading this thread...

If it is more like the Sinai then it will need longer light times than the Equatorial lines would want. The wrong schedule could cause all kinds of problems. Kinda like Jamaicans trying to grow Afghanis. Dwarfs and messed up flowering times. Would be nice to know how this line has been handled since it was collected in '08 in order to bring out the best that it has to offer

Sudan is at around 12N to 15N....

this is a tropical landrace, from very close to the equator....

these seeds are the first generation outside Sudan, open pollinated...

ngakpa

Veteran
About the Sinai:

All Middle Eastern landraces show signs of Central Asian influence, as is to be expected

It's been a zone of hybridization since at least the early 13th century

THC123

Veteran
True I used to have a south egyptian Bango plant and it was really in between indica and sativa. More sativa looks but heavy indica influences. I lost the seeds 10+ years ago goddammit, Never found them, still wonder where they are to this day

G

Anyone got any of these going yet?

Interested to see reports, really promising accession from Nile River region

afaik not a place from where genetics have been introduced to the West, until now

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=61379&pictureid=2051745&thumb=1]View Image

[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=61379&pictureid=2051746&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

They sound interesting mate, i remember african seedbank had a semi auto think it was transkei or ethiopian highland. maybe someone can remember.:yummy:

ngakpa

Veteran
Originally Posted by Rembetis
That didnt happen in the 13th century. Never had experiences like that untill the hybrids came along.

Sorry, no editing privileges yet. What I meant is that those effects are not from 13th century hybridization.

There's a ton of circumstantial evidence pointing to the early 13th century being a point at which hashish, the hashish sieving technique, and Central Asian germplasm were introduced from the "Khorasan" region and rapidly became widespread across the Middle East.

Check out the Supplementary Material here for more information:
https://phytokeys.pensoft.net/article/46700/element/5/31/

Even prior to that, the direction of travel within Eurasia for Cannabis germplasm, especially the marijuana type, has overwhelmingly been from East to West

Everything points to areas such as Iran, Iraq, Syria, Turkey, Egypt etc. being zones of hybridization between var. afghanica and var. indica, i.e. Indicas and Sativas, long prior to the Hippie Trail era

Out of interest, which Middle Eastern landraces have you grown?

ngakpa

Veteran
They sound interesting mate, i remember african seedbank had a semi auto think it was transkei or ethiopian highland. maybe someone can remember.:yummy:

these are day-neutral

semi-auto is maybe not a good way to put it

it's common for equatorial landraces to flower based on age, not day-length

that's what these seem to do

Latest posts

Latest posts