What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

This is how not to cough when smoking.

F

Fermented

I just read an article and it's not really helpful
https://www.thegrowthop.com/life/how-to-stop-coughing-so-hard-when-you-smoke-weed

They said just take smaller hits..sheeesh!..there's more to it than that.

I've taught a hundred or more new smokers and old smokers to take huge hits and never cough. Many of them said "I've tried smoking before and it just makes me cough really badly" then thank me after they get high for the first time, without coughing at all.

This is how and it's really simple.

Take in a deep lungful of air, hold it for a second or two, exhale it fully...not just a normal exhale, really focus on emptying your lungs, (contracting your lower stomach also helps to "squeeze" out that last bit of air) then immediately take a toke and inhale the smoke. Make sure to not inhale any air after exhaling air then hit the pipe/jay or you may cough.

I think the reason this works is because emptying your lungs allows more room for the smoke to "expand" and not be forcibly rejected causing coughing.

Last edited:

Cvh

Supermod
Next up, don't smoke so you don't cough because you're smoking...

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
actually people should take in a breath of air first and make sure that they take air in with smoke

not enough oxygen = no bueno

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Go look up one of my posts of using this Volcano Hybrid to strip the terps. I believe the cough is a reaction to one of the compounds being released, maybe chlorophyll. That is just a guess, until an analysis of what exactly is being shed off flower at what temp/time can be designed and ran.

I do not think that hot gas which when inhaled into 98* lungs expands, although it feels like it. I think it the lungs contracting so no more of that stuff that triggers the cough can get in. When I use the whip on a cano to strip the light aromatic terps and maybe some actives, my lungs are filled to capacity. Like the bag gets filled. There is no "expansion", as there is no room left. What doesn't happen is the urge to cough, and expel whatever fumes it is my lungs reject.

I am 65, have smoked junk dope from beer cans way too long, and after doing the terp vape deal for the last 3-4 months, my lungs feel great and so is the breathing.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Go look up one of my posts of using this Volcano Hybrid to strip the terps. I believe the cough is a reaction to one of the compounds being released, maybe chlorophyll. That is just a guess, until an analysis of what exactly is being shed off flower at what temp/time can be designed and ran.

I do not think that hot gas which when inhaled into 98* lungs expands, although it feels like it. I think it the lungs contracting so no more of that stuff that triggers the cough can get in. When I use the whip on a cano to strip the light aromatic terps and maybe some actives, my lungs are filled to capacity. Like the bag gets filled. There is no "expansion", as there is no room left. What doesn't happen is the urge to cough, and expel whatever fumes it is my lungs reject.

I am 65, have smoked junk dope from beer cans way too long, and after doing the terp vape deal for the last 3-4 months, my lungs feel great and so is the breathing.

I posted some papers over the years about the constituent of smoke. They do matter greatly which is why I grow my own. So I agree that what is in the plant matters (not necessarily which components). As an example, higher nitrogen makes for a hotter burn.

Even pure thc vapor without any other adulterants sans oxygen isn't healthy. Oxygen deprivation is not healthy.

Here is some useful trivia. The reason it was declared illegal was based on tests of monkeys being exposed to 5 minutes of pure pot smoke. It caused brain damage.

Later it was discovered not because the pot smoke but lack of oxygen.

Galaxy420

I posted some papers over the years about the constituent of smoke. They do matter greatly which is why I grow my own. So I agree that what is in the plant matters (not necessarily which components). As an example, higher nitrogen makes for a hotter burn.

Even pure thc vapor without any other adulterants sans oxygen isn't healthy. Oxygen deprivation is not healthy.

Here is some useful trivia. The reason it was declared illegal was based on tests of monkeys being exposed to 5 minutes of pure pot smoke. It caused brain damage.

metabolizing phytocannabinoids increases cellular oxygenation via COX/ LOX ... also, is a vasodilator

mr.brunch

Veteran

I saw this... didn’t they basically fit the monkeys with gas masks then pump in the smoke uninterrupted?

Mr. J

Holy fuck guys. I'm amazed at how everything turns into a really dumb debate. Even a thread as ridiculous as "How to smoke" on a weed site turns into a bunch of stoners quoting science that they don't understand to prove a point that doesn't even matter. I can only shake my head and sigh.

Mr. J

Hazes and such are good for fixing grumpiness. Just saying. Lol.
I'm sick of sativa type weed. Just give me something that stones to the bone and makes me eat everything in the house before falling asleep for 10 hours.

F

Fermented

Two pages and no one has attempted my no cough method of smoking...try it, it works. I've smoked for 50 years and I still exhale fully right before inhaling...works for me.

...and since everyone has gone off topic, I guess I should too!

I'm sick of sativa type weed. Just give me something that stones to the bone and makes me eat everything in the house before falling asleep for 10 hours.

My version of that quote is : "I'm sick of indica type weed, Just give me something that inspires me, makes me laugh and have wild ideas for 3 or 4 hours then come down without a drowsy hangover"

'Boogieman'

I have issues with coughing, but this didn't really help although I suspect something else is going on. About half way through a joint I am going to cough up some clear sticky saliva, this actually only happens with terp rich weed regardless if I grew or bought it. Then my lungs feel very clear and I can smoke for a bit until it happens again.

Brother Nature

This is how and it's really simple.

Take in a deep lungful of air, hold it for a second or two, exhale it fully...not just a normal exhale, really focus on emptying your lungs, (contracting your lower stomach also helps to "squeeze" out that last bit of air) then immediately take a toke and inhale the smoke. Make sure to not inhale any air after exhaling air then hit the pipe/jay or you may cough.

I think the reason this works is because emptying your lungs allows more room for the smoke to expand and not be forced up and out causing coughing.

That's an interesting approach, it's very similar to breath training that big wave surfers do, so they can hold their breath 5+ minutes. I've tried it before but don't really recall if it helped with me coughing or not, I've always been a cougher. I find I have two types of cough associated with cannabis, one is when it's lower quality, a nasty cold-like cough, then one when I'm smoking high quality weed, a nice getting everything out cough that feels refreshing after. I even cough after using a vape though :smokeit:

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
There is a proven method that i share with folks, works every time.

Big hits, no coughing.

Any bud, cob or hashish, joint, blunt, bong or bowl.

It's so simple, everyone who tries it is amazed.

F

Fermented

The good thing about not coughing is that you are able to take the smoke deeper and for longer so you maximize the high potential.

I laugh at these smokers who say you have to cough to get off. If they smoked the same amount of bud in two bowls one after the other (and didn't cough) and then smoked the same amount of bud in one hit/one bowl and they cough their guts out while doing it then they would get higher off the two hits than the one hit.

and of course, even with a completely empty pair of lungs, you can still cough if you try to take in more than your capacity and you are overwhelmed or if the bud is harsh.

btw I grow some plants (from seeds I've made for the past 30 or so years)and these taste like dirt, are very harsh to smoke but the high is good and I mostly vape in a DHV now so it's cool and I really enjoy the high.

I often wonder just how many breeder's seed lines were discontinued at selection stage because the end product took was not rated AAA for taste/smell? or too long to flower?, didn't look good enough in a bag?, yielded too low?, grew too tall? etc etc but the high was wonderful. Later selections of these lines could of resulted a high that was very special (or not).

When indoor growing and modern hybrids were bred and introduced, it seemed like this was the beginning of the end of appreciating cannabis for the wonders of it's high and not because it's ultra scented, neon colored puffed up bud with a high that is strong but one dimensional (but you can cut at 57 days!).

I always thought that once legalization happened in California, we would soon see tripping grass, laughing grass, Colombian, pure Thai, African varieties etc everywhere but it hasn't happened yet and I was wrong in predicting it would be common place by now....I really can't understand why it isn't...maybe it will gradually happen?

Last edited:
F

Fermented

That's an interesting approach, it's very similar to breath training that big wave surfers do, so they can hold their breath 5+ minutes. I've tried it before but don't really recall if it helped with me coughing or not, I've always been a cougher. I find I have two types of cough associated with cannabis, one is when it's lower quality, a nasty cold-like cough, then one when I'm smoking high quality weed, a nice getting everything out cough that feels refreshing after. I even cough after using a vape though :smokeit:

It really has nothing to do with divers/surfers and long breath holding......if anything, this was influenced by a simple yoga breathing technique (the one you learn on your first lesson)

If your airways are lined with excess phlegm then that might be why you cough every time you smoke anything. If you have to breathe in air with the smoke because it makes you cough means the herb is harsh so (throw it away) grow it better (less ferts and other chemicals) or get a better supplier

and maybe try this method again, making sure you have the lighter in your hand ready to fire up the bowl, firstly exhale fully as you grab the pipe and light the bowl and inhale the smoke....don't wait or breathe in before inhaling the smoke, that will just reduce your lung capacity for the smoke.

Last edited:
F

Fermented

There is a proven method that i share with folks, works every time.

Big hits, no coughing.

Any bud, cob or hashish, joint, blunt, bong or bowl.

It's so simple, everyone who tries it is amazed.

I didn't read about or was told about this no cough method and don't want to claim I invented it, it's just something that I worked out that worked for me and others I've shown how.

For those who don't think this works tell me how many times have you given a jay or a pipe to a first time smoker and they didn't cough their guts out? I can count dozens of times due to showing them this method.

rolandomota

Veteran
You can also pinch your nose closed if you feel your about to cough it helps hold it just don't blow your ears out

Latest posts

Latest posts