What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Nanda Devi

Plantguy

guess you'll be putting them in the ground soon
Yep. Here they are. I didn't cull any because I want more boys for cross pollination, even if they're less vigorous when young. I'm hoping they don't emit too much of a distinctive odor, if they get tall that will be all right. I'll cut any odiferous ones and maybe clone and bring indoors

Attachments

• IMG_20200607_092613.jpg
    IMG_20200607_092613.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 77

ngakpa

Veteran
hi, these aren't hemp

these are charas landraces, cultivated in the Kumaon Himalaya for hand-rubbed charas production

you should get some very nice resin from them, enjoy!

Reactions: ost

Plantguy

Ngapka, nice to see you back. Umm... Yes I know. But hemp was legalized nationwide and I'm calling it thus because, well, you know. What should I tell the neighbors and friends? Preservation of an ancient hemp in danger of extinction sounds pretty good. Few people care much about taxonomy anyway

Plantguy

They're getting bigger. Still no noticeable ambient odor thankfully. Definitely sativa type leaves. The last of the crop are getting transplanted. They germinated much later than the first. It's really interesting to have such a staggered germination rate, but with that in mind and managed it becomes a much higher germination rate.

Attachments

• Amnesia 6 Week
    Amnesia 6 Week
    82.5 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_20200626_165311.jpg
    IMG_20200626_165311.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 104

Plantguy

This was 2 weeks ago. They're getting tall now, most at least my height. Very sativa like leaves and pretty long internodes on most but some are more square bush type. There's quite a few, about 30. And still no strong smell, which I'm happy about. Can't be stinking up the block

Attachments

• IMG_20200715_153645_1.jpg
    IMG_20200715_153645_1.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 114

acespicoli

This was 2 weeks ago. They're getting tall now, most at least my height. Very sativa like leaves and pretty long internodes on most but some are more square bush type. There's quite a few, about 30. And still no strong smell, which I'm happy about. Can't be stinking up the block

looking good Plantguy another few months i guess

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran

Any rose aroma phenotypes in your garden?

Plantguy

looking good Plantguy another few months i guess
I still can't quite sex them. Some small nubbins but could go either way. I got these for an early flowering sativa, but in my environment early they are not. They have only half day direct sun(afternoon), are 20° north of the their original location and it's sea level here vs something like 3-4000m altitude. They showed water stress a bit easier than I thought they might so have had an automatic sprinkler with daily 20 minutes watering. They're planted rather thickly only due to limited space and because I wanted as many as possible for open pollination. When boys show balls I'll cut back heavily to open up the canopy and reduce competition while allowing enough branches to pollinate.

Attachments

• IMG_20200807_114818.jpg
    IMG_20200807_114818.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 99

ngakpa

Veteran
I got these for an early flowering sativa, but in my environment early they are not. They have only half day direct sun(afternoon), are 20° north of the their original location

hi - on the basis they're only getting half a day sun in the afternoon, I'm not sure it's fair to blame them for not being early!

therevverend

Veteran
They have only half day direct sun(afternoon), are 20° north of the their original location and it's sea level here vs something like 3-4000m altitude.

hi - on the basis they're only getting half a day sun in the afternoon, I'm not sure it's fair to blame them for not being early!
I don't believe hours of direct sunlight have an effect on the onset of flowering. A lot of people believe heavy evening or morning shade will cause a garden to flower a few days earlier. I've never seen direct evidence, it seems to me any effect would be small. My garden gets 4-7 hours of direct sunlight, depending on the spot between 7:30AM and 5 PM. Heavy shade in the morning and evening. They start to flower at the same time as each other, and when everyone's stuff starts to flower in this area. As the day length drops to and below 14 hours.

Every strain is different and I wouldn't say the 14 hour day length is exact but it's about when most regular late Sept-Nov 1 strains begin to tuft out. Anything over 3-4 hours of direct sun and you should be able to grow decent buds. Even in midday shade with only a couple sun breaks I've seen decent stuff and I didn't notice a remarkably earlier or late finish.

Nitrogen may have an effect on flowering, I've heard 'no N after August 1' (on regular temperate September-October finishing plants). It might delay flowering for a couple of days, or more likely encourage sucker limbs, stem, and leaf growth. I believe there is an effect but it's small and plants do use a little N in early flowering.

If any of this stuff has an effect it's going to be small. Maybe a couple days, I doubt even a week. Day length is the number one factor that causes plants to begin flowering. Nandi Devi peak is at 33 degrees N lat. If you add 20 degrees to 33, which is where Plantguy says he is, you get 53 degrees N lat. I see why you're eager to get your plants flowering, I'll bet autumn's coming fast and cold. The problem you run into so far north is that the days are much longer then they are in India in the summer.

Badrinath India, near where the Nandi Devi strain originates from, has a day length of 13 hours 15 minutes right now. This is well past the 14 hour threshold which is what I go by. Badrinath dropped below 14 hours way back on July 10th. Most of the common outdoor strains grown in Spain, California, Oregon, Kentucky, Amsterdam, would be tufted up and some would be deep into flowering by now. I'd expect a mid September harvest.

At 52 degrees N, close to Plantguy's latitude (Amsterdam is at 52 degrees N which is why I'm using it) days are still 14 hours 40 minutes long. I usually don't see visual signs of flowering until my day length drops below 14:30. At 14:40 you might see more hairs, the plants are probably stretching, but unless it's photosensitive you won't see tufts. My day length is around 14:20 and I saw my first small white tuft today, a lower limb on one plant. Nothing else is showing. Some of my plants are tucking, showing a few white hairs and a shortening of nodes on branches. They all seem to be stretching, it seems like they're 3-6 inches taller every day and more bushiness. I gave them their first fertilizing with P and K a couple days ago.

The good news is that your day length is dropping very sharply as it races to hit 12 hours on the autumn solstice. A week from now your day length will be 14:14, by August 31 it'll be 13:39. At that point I'd be surprised if they're not tufting and I'd worry about them being out of synch with the season if they aren't flowering.

Most strains will sense the shortening days and will flower very quickly. Finishing faster then they would indoors or further south. I expect my stuff that's tucking and stretching will finish anywhere from September 28-October 10th. The stuff that's stretching but looks full on Veg could still finish by Oct 1, although October 8-Oct 16 is more likely. I'll have a couple stragglers around Oct 20th but most years harvest is Sept 30-Oct 15.

Your harvest shouldn't be far off from mine, as long as they trigger within the next week or two. Anywhere from 2 days to a week or more. Be sure to check your day length and record when your males and females flower. It sounds like you're planning on making a lot of seeds, impregnated plants seem to finish a little faster. Since they stop throwing hairs when they get heavily pollinated.

You want to have an idea when the progeny will finish at your latitude, and which plants finish when. If you have a few plants that are especially early you might want to store the pollen separate and apply it to your early females. When you open pollinate you don't have control, a late male could cross with an early female and vice-versa. It's a good tool simply to preserve a strain but it won't improve or adapt to your climate. Adapting low latitude strains to temperate regions is one of the trickiest goals a breeder can have.

herblux

I’m growing at about 48°-54°N too and am not 100% sure about the effect of direct sunlight on flowering onset.
Have seen (non auto) plants in quite shady areas flower at normal times too. As long as they had time to mature.

Got some Lebanese outdoors (also direct soil) roughly at 50° and they are just getting started too. The issue in my imo is micro climate. Could be true for Plantguy as well. In June there was a lot of rainy weather, followed by a sunny July and now extremely sunny August. Might play a role as well and this might be the case in your Garden too @Plantguy?

meizzwang

I still can't quite sex them. Some small nubbins but could go either way. I got these for an early flowering sativa, but in my environment early they are not. They have only half day direct sun(afternoon), are 20° north of the their original location and it's sea level here vs something like 3-4000m altitude. They showed water stress a bit easier than I thought they might so have had an automatic sprinkler with daily 20 minutes watering. They're planted rather thickly only due to limited space and because I wanted as many as possible for open pollination. When boys show balls I'll cut back heavily to open up the canopy and reduce competition while allowing enough branches to pollinate.

From my experience, Nanda Devi consistently pre-flowers in September and finishes mid November, but you might get some that finish late October or early November too! It's worth the wait though, even the feral phenotype I found was very high quality and decently potent: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=296087&page=9

If you want something that finishes end of October, I'd go for malana or parvati. It's apples to oranges though, they're similar but different.