What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Why does weed make me so damn hungry?

420SOS

Everytime I smoke I feel I need to do some groceries first, I'm very active and always hungry but cannabis makes me want to raid the fridge down to the coil, does that happen to you often?

Love it though, eating high makes me enjoy food so much more

420SOS

Everytime I smoke I feel I need to do some groceries first, I'm very active and always hungry but cannabis makes me want to raid the fridge down to the coil, does that happen to you often?

Love it though, eating high makes me enjoy food so much more

I found this
https://thcdetox.biz/blog/why-does-weed-make-you-hungry/ and this too https://www.pbs.org/newshour/science/weed-makes-super-hungry-according-science they both mention Horvaths study but they are not conclusive regarding individual phisiology, which makes me wonder are there people that don't feel the munchies at all, I don't think that's even possible, unless it's crappy weed, and even then

420SOS

It's called the munchies man.

Haha I know, I was just wondering if it happened so aggressively to everyone as it does to me, I found scientific reasons but no individual cases, I suppose it happens to everyone, I think I've never met anyone who has smoked and didn't get their munching senses activated

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It's that "reward" center of the brain that causes you to raid the refridge! I use it to make quality 'munchie choices'....fruit, veggies. Haven't had Doritos in decades...yuck!

Im'One

Some strains do, some strains don't. I typically don't get the munchies. Occasionally I smoke a strain that does. My go to is purple Hindu Kush mixed with island sweet skunk. It puts me to sleep and the ISS kills y aches and pains for ,long enough to get a good night sleep....the strains I tried make me hungry and I get up and start munching, are alien OG, guava kush, bubba kush and gelato. Some actually make me less hungry, like strawberry cough and my Lebanese landrace. I suppose they contain thc-v?

G

Gauss

Some strains do, some strains don't. I typically don't get the munchies. Occasionally I smoke a strain that does. My go to is purple Hindu Kush mixed with island sweet skunk. It puts me to sleep and the ISS kills y aches and pains for ,long enough to get a good night sleep....the strains I tried make me hungry and I get up and start munching, are alien OG, guava kush, bubba kush and gelato. Some actually make me less hungry, like strawberry cough and my Lebanese landrace. I suppose they contain thc-v?

I get the same thing from Gelato and Alien OG, both make me extremely hungry. Most other strains can do it to me also, but not nearly to the same extent.

watts

ohms
Veteran
If you are able to and willing, try eating one big healthy meal a day or 2 at the most, preferably vegan, no meat or dairy. Consume a whole food plant-based diet, lots of alkaline vegetables, greens, and fruit. Also no processed foods or foods with added sugars. No snacking and do not eat your meal near bedtime. Drink plenty of water. No alcohol. Consume a whole food plant-based diet. Take a vitamin B-12 supplement and some Vitamin D3 if you don't get enough sun. It takes discipline but you will break your addiction to food and gluttony. Give it several weeks and you will start to see many benefits to the mind and body. I've done it and I never get the munchies anymore. It's amazing how the body adapts and healthy you become when you stop eating all the junk we've been raised on, especially in the U.S.

weedobix

ICMag Donor
Veteran
"We found that cannabis exposure caused more frequent, small meals," stated Davis. "But there's a delay before it takes effect." That delay provided a clue to how the drug may act. Ordinarily, when the stomach is empty it releases a hormone called ghrelin, a message to the brain that it's time to look for food.

The researchers found that the cannabis dose triggered a ghrelin surge. When they gave a second drug which prevented the ghrelin surge, cannabis no longer triggered eating. They also found changes in how the brain responds to the message. In small region of the hypothalamus responsible for sensing ghrelin, cannabis changed the genetic activity of brain cells that respond to the hormone.

-Society for the Study of Ingestive Behavior

420SOS

It's that "reward" center of the brain that causes you to raid the refridge! I use it to make quality 'munchie choices'....fruit, veggies. Haven't had Doritos in decades...yuck!

Yes I do the same, with the years I've learned to actually enjoy eating healthy, A LOT but healthy, I kinda became a salad barman :)

420SOS

Nice! Made me wanna go bud shopping big time! And when you get munchies is it like Armageddon hunger or not so bad either?

420SOS

"We found that cannabis exposure caused more frequent, small meals," stated Davis. "But there's a delay before it takes effect." That delay provided a clue to how the drug may act. Ordinarily, when the stomach is empty it releases a hormone called ghrelin, a message to the brain that it's time to look for food.

The researchers found that the cannabis dose triggered a ghrelin surge. When they gave a second drug which prevented the ghrelin surge, cannabis no longer triggered eating. They also found changes in how the brain responds to the message. In small region of the hypothalamus responsible for sensing ghrelin, cannabis changed the genetic activity of brain cells that respond to the hormone.

-Society for the Study of Ingestive Behavior

Good info, from now on I'm saying " my stomach is ghrelin" :laughing:

Gry

If you are able to and willing, try eating one big healthy meal a day or 2 at the most, preferably vegan, no meat or dairy. Consume a whole food plant-based diet, lots of alkaline vegetables, greens, and fruit. Also no processed foods or foods with added sugars. No snacking and do not eat your meal near bedtime. Drink plenty of water. No alcohol. Consume a whole food plant-based diet. Take a vitamin B-12 supplement and some Vitamin D3 if you don't get enough sun. It takes discipline but you will break your addiction to food and gluttony. Give it several weeks and you will start to see many benefits to the mind and body. I've done it and I never get the munchies anymore. It's amazing how the body adapts and healthy you become when you stop eating all the junk we've been raised on, especially in the U.S.
Go a very similar route myself, difference being that I go with several
smaller meals rather than one large one.
Only regret is that I did not make these changes years earlier.

Im'One

Yes I have to eat several small meals due to my gastric issues. My biggest problem is the dry mouth that hits me about 2 hours after going to sleep. I drink water but then have t go pee all night long and lose even more sleep. I have been cutting back on the amount of meat and salt I eat after 6pm that seems to help some

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran

I am eating one meal a day to lose weight. Still eat junk food but lots of good veges and such. My stomach thanks me when I work it less. You get used to it. I smoke pot before eating only, as it triggers late night hunger or alcohol does it as well.

troutman

Seed Whore
Anyone here ever eat celery stoned and wondered if anyone else can hear your teeth chewing like a dinosaur? :laughing:

Latest posts

Latest posts