What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

University of Guelph paper- Flushing is a myth!

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Guelph is the agricultural equivalent of Harvard Oxford or any other top tier school. Not anyone can make the cut to get in. My best friend's kid goes there and it's breaking his bank. Lol.

You can trust what ever comes out of Guelph.

I have to say their virtical hydro walls rock. You can buy them now.

beta

Veteran
I don't care for the metallic, nutrient taste on inhale/exhale.....I'll continue to flush.

If you already believe something is true you'll interpret evidence to support that belief.

What you're really doing is tasting shitty bud and saying to yourself 'this must be unflushed', even though you have zero information about the flushing method used.

It's the same nonsense organic heads do. Every time they taste good herb they say to themselves 'this must be organic!' and every time it sucks they say 'goddamn chemical bud!".

They have no clue how it was grown but somehow they've just confirmed their existing beliefs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

h.h.

Veteran
When growing your own, you do have a clue.
I don’t believe flushing works.
Holding back the chemicals does.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Coming from a farming family. Nitrogen molecules are bigger and don't bind or fix (?) Ti the soil. Rain can wash it away. Some crops like Soy produce their own Nitrogen. If you pull up a plant, you'll see red nodules on the roots. That's 100% Nitrogen. Other plants do it as well. But corn needs Nitrogen supplied by the farmer. They use heat activated stuff so it won't wash away. Young corn plants are a little yelowish until july when the Nitrogen is released. Then it turns dark green and you can almost see it grow.

Right aboout now, if my plants aren't booking it, i consider it an emergency and pour the N to them because it'll affect the yeild.

Maybe a little more info than you asked but... here it is anyway.

beta

Veteran
Interesting stuff, thanks for sharing!

Coming from a farming family. Nitrogen molecules are bigger and don't bind or fix (?) Ti the soil. Rain can wash it away. Some crops like Soy produce their own Nitrogen. If you pull up a plant, you'll see red nodules on the roots. That's 100% Nitrogen. Other plants do it as well. But corn needs Nitrogen supplied by the farmer. They use heat activated stuff so it won't wash away. Young corn plants are a little yelowish until july when the Nitrogen is released. Then it turns dark green and you can almost see it grow.

Right aboout now, if my plants aren't booking it, i consider it an emergency and pour the N to them because it'll affect the yeild.

Maybe a little more info than you asked but... here it is anyway.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Links to these studies?

there was an extensive thread about flushing with both experiential and scientific background here between 08-10

a quick search of google scholar using "tobacco + nutrients + effect on smoke composition" yields the following

https://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/abs/10.4141/cjps77-023#.XSoBvetKiM8

refine the search and swap out key words

I had spent a wealth of time compiling and presenting the argument before and it is a tired one since anyone can replicate a over fed and underfed plant at harvest and experience the spectrum of difference for themselves

have the passion to do the due diligence

that is where many of us have learned when there was no science to hold our hands

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
(i.e. get an education:).

You're so pious and full of yourself it makes me want to puke. :thank you:
There are others like you on this forum, you'll find a group of egomaniacs to circle jerk with soon enough.

Put your buds up for the world to judge. See you at IC Cup 2020. When you lose with your unflushed bitter flowers that pop and crackle when they burn, come find me and I'll help you out with your education.

dank.Frank

MedFaced

there was an extensive thread about flushing with both experiential and scientific background here between 08-10

a quick search of google scholar using "tobacco + nutrients + effect on smoke composition" yields the following

https://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/abs/10.4141/cjps77-023#.XSoBvetKiM8

As famous as the tobacco companies are for their accurate and comprehensive studies, the only thing this study from 1977 says is that Magnesium and K increased yields and market value. K much more so than Mag, and that K may help remove certain "health hazards" from the smoke while adding others.

It ends with:
"Consequently, K fertilizer would appear to have both positive and negative effects on smoke quality, and bioassays of the experimental samples will be necessary to evaluate the potential benefits or hazards to health associated with varying K levels in tobacco leaf"

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
As famous as the tobacco companies are for their accurate and comprehensive studies, the only thing this study from 1977 says is that Magnesium and K increased yields and market value. K much more so than Mag, and that K may help remove certain "health hazards" from the smoke while adding others.

It ends with:
"Consequently, K fertilizer would appear to have both positive and negative effects on smoke quality, and bioassays of the experimental samples will be necessary to evaluate the potential benefits or hazards to health associated with varying K levels in tobacco leaf"

And I'm sure that's probably strain dependant. Where have I heard that before? Lol

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
This is a good point, ty. In my opinion, most people are growing cannabis incorrectly in the first place. Flushing makes only a small difference when cannabis is grown incorrectly.

No offense, because this is a discussion and not a personal attack on anyone, but your own methods are questionable by most standards and woukd be from a horticultural point of view also. There's many ways to skin this cat. It's actually a very easy plant to grow in general. The "best way" is subjective and depends what you're trying to achieve.

I think people flush or unflush thier own and say they notice a difference. But they are already biased. I unless they are blind testing their own shit.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Drying and curing (when done right) on the other hand have proved
(In many studies) to have a major impact on taste and flavour,
by breaking down chlorophylls and converting starches into sugars, as we all know.

Most attributes blamed on unflushed buds are likely the result of unproper drying/curing.

Green leaves make bigger buds, so the rub is controlling the ratio/application of
your nutes to maximize trich production while minimizing green production.

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
You're so pious and full of yourself it makes me want to puke. :thank you:
There are others like you on this forum, you'll find a group of egomaniacs to circle jerk with soon enough.

Put your buds up for the world to judge. See you at IC Cup 2020. When you lose with your unflushed bitter flowers that pop and crackle when they burn, come find me and I'll help you out with your education.

dank.Frank

Your option would be more respected if you didn't resort to name calling when someone disagrees with you and then get upset when they respond like wise.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
No offense, because this is a discussion and not a personal attack on anyone, but your own methods are questionable by most standards and woukd be from a horticultural point of view also.
Considering the stark difference in quality between what I can grow, and the occasional "fire" I've come across the last 30 years? They better be different. My methods may be questionable, I may have only begun to scratch the surface of quality, but it sure beats the crap out of anything else out there. I can't wait to finish runner up in cup competitions. That'll be some seriously awesome cannabis I'm competing against. :D

I believe one of the main problems with the perception of 'quality cannabis' is precisely because the most common information came from a horticultural point of view. Bigger, badder, more is better, right? This is the exact opposite cannabis needs to shine. ;) The very crux of the issue right here. At the end of the day, none of this flushes out.

Latest posts

Latest posts