What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Kerala, RSC

Green

Veteran
Aloha ikinori, great to see you here. thank you for the reminder. I still got several jars filled cured going on 7months. Will do a full smoke report within a few weeks. Yes I agree she’s got “that look”

@water- Thank you for your excellent input. Look forward for you to grow your own and decide for yourself. That is such a profound idea. At the top of the page is the “start a thread” button. Best of luck friend

Ncali

Veteran
Every forum has its share of trolls, sounds like pest control has been called in.

Hey Sirius02!

I’ve only smoked a few samples of Kerala. Still curing in jars. It might be pre-mature to comment. Give me another month of cure time, And I’ll hit the Kerala cloud real hard, and report back. Hahaha

Interesting note, with my particular batch I got a wide range of harvest times. Ranging from the earliest and quite surprising October first. And my latest girl that got chopped was November 15th. my favorite, she was so late, half the Kerala boys finished flowering before she started.

It is so interesting to hear the wide harvest window. The late finishing girls, in my limited experience with them (a mere few years growing them) have never had differential in harvest times of 6 weeks! I wonder if this will translate in a dispersion of effect too. Curious!

Im curious about this line and her effects. There are many stories from old heads about her nice effects, and of course those rumors of being a component in the old original haze line(s). I am no expert in that realm though.

Excellent thread and grow, Green. As always.

Thank you for sharing and for (potential) future contributions!

:tiphat:
NC

Koondense

Veteran
Lots of snowflakes falling over Kerala.. :)

Come on guys, you can do much better I'm sure.

One love

Cheers

ngakpa

Veteran
those buds are beautiful, Green, great work!

(sorry to be see you've been getting toxic pms and rep stuff. I've been getting the same. Why haven't mods banned this guy?)

meizzwang

Green-have you had a chance to sample Kerala yet? Debating whether or not to pop seeds this year, interested to hear about the characteristics of the high and flavor. I completely know what you mean about hearing music versus listening to it, lots of subjectivity and experiences that don't translate to words.....

Green

Veteran
Aloha friends,

Your smoke report has arrived. Thank you for your patience. I know I've said it before but I would like to say it again. These narrow leaf types need time. With my subjective opinion I prefer to harvest my narrow leaf plants as late as possible. And then a good long cure. I find that an early harvest and short cure time makes unimpressionable narrow leaf Herb. I think someone said it. All time is relative?

First, Id also like to set the bar as high as I can with some selective words from the lunatic asylum.

Indian hemp drugs commission 1894
Volume 2

Madras province ( The Madras province included the "modern state of Kerala)

Lunatic asylum under the superintendent Dr. Thornhill

Mustan Saheb was under the delusion that he was emperor of Delhi, he had unlimited wives. And claimed the whole world belonged to him. The alleged cause of insanity : Ganja

Kunji Kallappen “He stares in a peculiar manner, laughs without cause, won’t bathe” Wanders in the middle of the night.
The Alledge cause of insanity : Ganja

Dora Papada; He “talks and laughs to himself and is constantly putting his tongue out of his mouth”
The alleged cause of insanity : Ganja, excessive use

Mahomed Osman ; in an excited manner, laughing and talking. sometimes went about naked.
The alleged cause of insanity : Ganja

Smoke report/burning trees​

Set and setting: Saturday morning mixing 300 gallon batch of soil. In the middle of the forest.

Herb: My late harvest Kerala girl from November 15th, via water pipe.

(all large bowls smoked in quick succession, lets see where the ceiling is?)

1st bowl- This stuff is very very smooth. A good hallmark of gunja. Getting high, feeling the uplifting energy.

2nd bowl- The flavor has a sweet medicine touch to it, Cant figure it out . Getting higher

3rd bowl- Quickly load another large bowl, getting higher.

4th bowl- Starting to get real high, no ceiling yet

5th bowl- As I finish the bowl, I notice the smoke going out my mouth is in slow motion. Then as it seems, "time" stops. Or I should say the construct of time has stopped. The quiet forest presses in. I seem to be aware of every leaf, slowly fluttering. I better load up another bowl. lol

6th bowl- I quickly load another bowl. As I am getting really really really high.

7th bowl- After this bowl, I asked my self 8? I stood their pondering with the extreme time dilation the number 8 as a philosophical question. What is 8? haha. I knew then, that the spirit was unwilling to go to my 8th bowl. lol The clock dilation and the construct of time was so blown. Any and all thoughts seemed like gibberish as the presence of the forest and the moment we call "now" was so beautifully clear and overwhelming. Anyways I managed to mix up a huge batch of soil being super high. haha

In concluding thoughts.
Normal amounts of Kerala, Uplifting, clear, soft/gentle and energizing, not Thai electric voltage. but more amp energy, if that makes sense. Good working mans herb.

Large amounts of Kerala, Uplifting, gentle, remarkable ability to effect your minds construct of the passage of time. Crystal clear and ceilingless. Spiritual or cosmic depending on your world view.

btw, no effects of lunacy. haha

I should note that I've been natually gravitating towards silly, happy, blissful, and zen herbs. So I did miss these effects from the smoke. But other then that beautiful ganja.

All time is relative.
Grooveth on.
Green

meizzwang

Aloha friends,

Your smoke report has arrived.

Green

Officially inspired, thanks for the report Green!

Got great germination on the Kerala, 5/5 in about 4 days from sowing:
48191290457_48353c7ea4_c.jpg

ikinokori

wow, what a great report.... i completely forgot about checking back, and what a surprise ! So nice, i will definitely add it to my potential strains in my next grow..

Did you notice a lot of variance in quality ? I will be only able to run 3 of them, so maybe i shoukd save it for a bigger grow if only some plants stand out fron the others

meizzwang

Got 1 beautiful female out of those seedlings posted above. The males were a lot more exciting with incredible branching, bigger plants, sticky, fragrant stem rubs and red coloration on the petioles and stems, but I pollinated all of them into this single female plant, so there should be some interesting stuff to go through in the next generation.

This is indeed a much earlier selection of Kerala than the old school one that reportedly finishes December thru Feb. Outdoors in the Pacific NW, it looks like this plant will be ready to harvest early to Mid November!

Fragrance-wise, it's spicy, but a bit unexciting IMO. The plant is known for it's quality of high, so I'll be sure to report on that in the future. The frost coverage is nice and the yield looks like it'll be decent:
48920678271_e3af1d7f65_c.jpg

48920141948_2c6a6cf5d0_c.jpg

Last edited:

meizzwang

Does anyone know the difference between this early finishing Kerala strain and Sheelavathi?

Took this early finishing Kerala down maybe a few days early (went down 11/6/19, grown outdoors in the Pacific Northwest), but it was a good gamble as it would have otherwise been soaked. Several other landraces, such as Durban and parvati, got powdery mildew, but Kerala is resistant.

Beautiful Christmas Tree structure:
49030851452_cfdbb77bb8_b.jpg

49030126363_082969a6c9_b.jpg

49030633261_928a816242_b.jpg

Right after a manicure, this stuff is really sticky:
49030643221_c195cfdc06_b.jpg

Abundant glandular trichomes, medium sized bracts:
49030862152_bfc5079c00_b.jpg

ngakpa

Veteran
beautiful plants, mind if I share the photos elsewhere?

Does anyone know the difference between this early finishing Kerala strain and Sheelavathi?

imo the safest way to look at this is to first realize that these names don't necessarily correspond to definite strains

Sheelavathi as a name is associated with the obvious modern hybrid x landrace types often used by "Ganja Mafia" groups and Maoists guerillas (Naxalites)

this Kerala I collected in Idukki from a source I've been going to for many years, an old guy. He was able to get a good amount of the seeds from another old grower he knew in Idukki District

none of what I saw or smoked of the bud they had said to me that there was hybrid contamination, but clearly I can only go on what my nose and eyes tell me

judging from the morphology of your plants, there's no obvious sign of hybrids either

whereas if you look at the Sheelavathi seeds being offered elsewhere, and talk to people who've grown them, it's very obvious from their morphology they are modern hybrid x landraces

but that leaves the question of the finish time

my best guess is that the explanation for the early finishing time on these plants is simply that the farmer, an old guy, knows to keep seeds from early maturing plants each year, so that he could get the crop down before it got busted

next time I'm over there I will ask, because it's a subject that people care about - in the meantime, to the best of my knowledge, these plants you have are representative of the Idukki genepool

incidentally, if you're reading about this elsewhere, much of what you see posted on this subject my some of the younger Indian collectors is garbage - not to say their seeds necessarily are, but the info certainly is... e.g. this daft idea that Naxalites are the only people with the real Idukki strain, which is just silly

Gedöns

Very interesting threrad. I'm growing Kerala from RSC indoors right now.
They stand under 250W HPS, at 54th Day of 11/13 now. I think I'll take them sowhere around 80 days, checking trichom colours from 70 onwords.
They got topped multiple times and went sativa like really good with it. Standing in 3,5L soil with an automatic watering system (blumaten) and they get feed Canna Aqua Bloom A&B at 70% of shedule. Though they are pretty big for their small pots I'll have to up the fertilizer.

Out of four females I got three different phenos. All of them have a very strong citrus smell to them.

Of those I got two pretty similar. Enormous growth and vigor, responded great to topping.

picture.php

This one stayed more squat and is a bit slower in growth. The bud structure is the most dense and looks like it will finish earlier, just checked the trichroms and they are 30% cloudy. My fav

picture.php

Very airy bud structure, the pistols turned brownish pretty quickly, the trichroms are completly clear though.

picture.php

Gedöns

Harvested at day 80 of flower. The three phenos turned out quite different. All of them had 2-3 bananas on them, except the compact one - which will become my Kerala mom, less explosive growth, good bud structure and nice smell.

picture.php

Future Mom
picture.php

herblux

Any smoke reports guys?

Got 3 going indoors in small pots, day 70-80 F or so now. Pollinated side branches with 4 different males, one of which went into flower later than all females and exhibited a stronger smell on the stem than the females too. Volcanoed (vaped) all males before pollination (had a 5th one that failed this test) and also in this department he was number one. Just in terms of productivity he showed a few less balls than the rest...couldn’t care less about big yields, it’s all about the effect. Could be a good one.

Started in very small pots and gradually potted up very late, to keep height in check. To my surprise I didn’t have to go as hard on limiting height compared to the other plants (Vietnamese, Punto Rojo, African Sativa meant to be Ethiopian).

Spicy to herbal (slight mint components) smells coming off them. Red petioles as per description of Meizzwang. Quite slim, flexible stems.
Looking like they’ll be ready by early December.

Had a thripse issue so they suffered a bit.
I did stress some a fair bit (particularly the males) and there was 0 hermie traits to be seen, unlike with 3 other plants in this run. Big positive for a tropical variety!

Pics coming later, when I figure out how to post...

regseeds

Genotype looks incredibly stable, the farmers in southern India know what they’re doing when it comes to line breeding. Wow! I look forward to the day i run some of these outdoors

herblux

Alright hope the image posting works...

As said they suffered from thrips, so they're not looking too fresh. They where kept as small as possible in organic soil under a 200w led in a 2.6x2.6ft area (80x80cm) 14/10 FS gradually lowered to 11/13 during the first 20 days after germination. These pics are from day 83 after breaking surface.

One very nice male out of a "5" pack, which had 9 seeds in it (9/9 germinated 12h pre-soak --> paper towel, one seedling didn't quite make it). So judging by that I assume you will find at least one keeper (by hobby standards of course) in a 12 pack.

Front row are the Kerala:

picture.php

This is a tip of one of the non-topped ones:

picture.php

This is a main branch of the one in the middle, topped, displaying a few more trichomes:

picture.php

Pollinated side branch:

picture.php

Kind of went over the top with keeping them as small as possible, they could have been repotted much earlier. So had to raise them, to keep the canopy half way even. Pot sizes where 0,25l --> 1l (1/3 gal) --> 3l (1 gal) --> 6l (2 gal). Kept them in there way longer, than I usually would. After the stretch had finished, they went into 6l. They where not overly nutrient sensitive compared to other satives. Used soil mixes and the occasional top dressing about 1/2-1/3 as strong as you'd usually use for modern hybrids. 1/4-1/3 strength would have been optimal I think, particularly regarding nitrogen.

It was quite difficult to not over/underwater the plants in those tiny pots, which was lots of stress for these. Some stress by medium-light nutrient burn here & there, as well as thrips infestation. The males also got somewhat irregular lighting. Yet none of them showed hermie tendencies. Given the shitty environment I think that's pretty incredible for a tropical ganja landrace!

Depending on the effects I might need another 12 pack to grow them out with more space and hopefully no pest issues to get a better representation of what these treasures have to offer.

Smoke report will follow in a few months, but it will probably not be very representative, given the grow conditions. Hoping for one of you guys to chime in on that :)

Thanks for these Angus & unknown farmer(s) much appreciated!