What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Slovenia landrace

Tripco

Prvo, oprostite mi što pišem na srpskom (dobrim delom mogu da ukapiram šta je sve napisano na slovenačkom, ali da ja pišem na istom... mislim da bi ste umrli od smeha).
Stvar je u sledećem: ja lično pokuševem da nađem landrace sortu sa prostora južno od istočnih Alpa (kažem ovako jer mnogi u Srbiji, prvenstveno, koriste izraz Balkan, a nisu ni svesni da je Balkan samo od ušća Save u Dunav, geografski).
Nešto od toga sam uspeo da "provalim" (uz pomoć Zamalito-a, šteta što ga više nema na ovom forumu) i to je jedna sativa (mada sam ja ranije mislio da je u pitanju nerka mutirana indika).
Ono što sam ja našao u istočnoj Srbiji je landrace sativa koja je ostala od Turaka. Radi sasvim solidno (slično je kao Hollands Hope).
Da li u Sloveniji postoji neka landrace?

Last edited by a moderator:

sloskank

živjo,

sprašuješ,če mamo neko "landrace", oziroma "domačo sorto"?

če sem prav razumel

can u talk english? i think that even if our languages are simillar,ill know better what are you talking about,hehe :wave:

čene pa pol - pol,se bomo že zmenil,hehe

Last edited:

Tripco

Yes, we can turn it to english. In any case this thread might be interesting to many forum users from around the globe.
So, it is a matter of local or domestic sort or a race of Cannabis.
Yes, some might say that landraces're gone like thousands of yaers ago, but i'd stay with definition that landrace is any sort or a race that was constant in fenotype (in most of its caracteristic feno features) and genotype for, at least, 50 years.
I certainly know that hemp was grown in Slovenia and there has to be some of good stuff in the slopes of Alps still growin' wild.
In the years pre-second world war farmers didn't have modern hemp hybrides and they've grew some of local stuff. I guess that origin of the old hemp in Slovenia could be Turkey (via Bosnia and Serbia) and those turkish hemp varieties have a quite good psychoactive effect.

mace_ecam

AFAIK, IBL and landrace are quite the opposite.

Turkey sounds like a plausible origin, but sativa where native to europe anyways. With the weather being better down there, it could produce some good pot.
I know in macedonia its like an unwritten law to harvest fibre hemp just after the first flowers appear, if they only knew how good it could get (if the genes are right) if they'd leave it longer...

Tripco

We're goin' a bit offtopic now ('cos we're talkin' bout other, non-Slovenian landraces), but it kinda can help us on this topic.
Well, a few months ago, on Breeders forum, i mentioned plants that i found in southeastern Serbia, i considered as a indicas. But, Zamalito told me that there is no way that indica was grown for centuries in southestern Europe (neither in Near east and northern Africa, opposite to the popilar way of thinking). And he was defenetly right. Those plants had somewhat indica stature, but leaves were clearly sativa like. Maybe it's something inbetween, or just a sativa adaption to semi-mountain conditions and harsher climate.
Similar plants could be found in Kosovo, Albania, Greece, Bulgaria, Bosnia and Macedonia. My opinion is that old slovenian farmers had to be introduced to this turkish sort, but, on the other hand, some of sorts could be german and hungarian hemp with less psyho effect. But, since there was no selection for THC-free sorts in the old times (no matter they were selected to produce fiber), they could easily develop ability to produce some cannabinoids in better climate such is slovenian southwest.

57X

zdravo tripco.

ja mislim, da u sloveniji ne postoji vise neka free wild growing landrace sorta. ili da bolje kazem, ja u 15 godina nisam cuo za nesto takvo. dobro, prije drugog svetskog rata bila je prisutna industrijska konoplja i neznam dali je u njoj bilo nekog thc-a. znam neke old-school growere, pa cu se malo raspitat sta se sadilo pre 20 godina.

lp

G

yes SW Slovenia is some fine countryside.......

all the best in producing the finest

ganj on..............

G

I know of a feral cannabis population in Moravia, Check Republic, not all that far from Slovenia. The Moravian plants are descendents of Scythian drug cultivars planted by the Romans many centuries ago, they are mildly psychoactive but probably more potent than the russian and hungarian ruderalis varieties as the finger hash my friend made from them was not bad. We threw big bundles of dried plants on a barbecue and smoked scythian style and that got us pretty high.

lasko

Haj Tripco, i live in soutwest slovenia - good conditions to grow weed. I was talking to my grandma and she told me that in slovenia last crops were in 1946*47 (for fiber), but there is no slovenian landrace, maybe it was. I talked also to some hippy frends that been growing for 30-40 years and they also dont know about it. There are seeds of varieties that have been grown for 40 years here but no landrase - hybrids only. Seeds came from all over the world and have been mixed together in some kind of hibrids, each hippy has its own sort.

Rosy Cheeks

dancin' cheek to cheek
Veteran
I think that mace_ecam - although being a good sport with great knowledge about Cannabis and cultivation - chose his words badly concerning the definition of landrace, and therefore caused confusion in this thread.

"Landrace" does not mean wild growing species. Here's Wikipedia's definition of landrace:

Landrace refers to domesticated animals or plants adapted to the natural and cultural environment in which they live (or originated) and, in some cases, work; they often develop naturally with minimal assistance or guidance from humans (or from humans using traditional rather than modern breeding methods), hence differ somewhat from what is commonly termed a breed, and usually possess more diverse phenotypes and genotypes.

Now, the "minimal assistance from humans" might work for some species, but it does not work well with drug type Cannabis, which will revert to very low Cannabinoid ratios in a few generations only if left on its own in nature. Average THC levels in wild growing Cannabis Sativa on the Euroasian continent is approximately 1%, which means that practically all landraces all over the world worth smoking have been selectively bred for its psychoactive qualities, perhaps for thousands of years.

So Tripco got it right. I don't know much about the Slovenian grow-scene, but I'm sure you have or had some endemic landraces over there.

lasko

There are not edemic landraces, cause every year new genetic are mixed with last years genetic. Before opening of all todays seedbanks there were same uniform varietis of canabis grown by old freaks, but today everything you get has skunk in it.
Im in slovenian growin scene for 20+ years and its a big diference between what we have grown and what we grow today.

spicecowboy

Dober Vecer!

Dober Vecer!

Greetings to Slovenia!

This is an interresting topic indeed.

Reminds me very much of the discussions on the origins of Greek "Kalamata".

Nice to know that there is some growing going on in your beautiful country!

By the way: Lasko Pivo is very nice...

spice

Last edited:

fjällhöga

HazeAddictedFanatic
ICMag Donor
Veteran
A very close friend of mine is from slovenia , he brought a shitload of semiwet , outdoor grown nugs with him , they tasted horrible as they looked .. , it was seeded ...

in the next years talking about the origin of those plants/seeds, and growing some of those seeds on my balcony , all of the plants finished by the beginning of the september.... , most turned dark purple and were not smokeable ... , only headache and a heavy burning throat

It was definately not ruderalis , as i kept a plant indoors under 18/6 for several months,after this friend visited his family again and most likely the guy he got it from , he came back with the anwser that it came via Albania ...

Fj

G

Ruderalis doesn't always autoflower, so it could be a ruderalis type. The headache probably means very little THC.

lasko

Hehehehehe from albania, the worst you can get here, amoniac smeling seeds... Its not a problem with thc but with drying and curing. They dont even dry, they pack weet weed and than ..... bljak you get same moldy shit...the same with weed from Bosnia

GanjaKmet

Farmers in Albania, Bosna , and Macedonia (FYRM) dont know how to handle whith. They just grow it hahahaha. You can find a lot of seeds i the stuff.
I never smoke or grow any think from this countries, becuse they do it only for mafia busines. Very bed.

lasko

Tripco i found something close to landrase in east part of Slovenia near Croatian border. The guy said that he grow this strain for 20-30 years, but its bosnian landrase grown in slovenia. i have 4 seedlings now to test, and how they looks now def mostly sativa. i will make some pics