What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Kerala Landrace info

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
Looking very good! I'll be joining the ride shortly if my Keralas still pop. If you can show us some Indian Haze later on we can really get this thread goin :good: It has been a pleasure to find out people still have the seeds.

Kerala must be one of the most underrated strains out there! In fact when it comes to cannabis the whole of India south of the Himalayas is the dark continent. The significance of Indian cannabis strains is undeniable but you rarely see anyone growing anything from tropical India.

We need some PR guys working on this! :laughing: It's always Kush this, Kush that or even Thai this, Thai that but never Indian ganja even though everyone seems to believe that's where mother sativa originates from!

bradipo

Manipur

Manipur

Hi everybody,

I agree with you Thule, all India is a possibly huge breeding area; and for sure one nice unknow sub-himalayan weed is the manipuri! Linked with the burma-thai genepool, could be fantastic...

https://www.*****.com/boards/index.php?showtopic=330205

I Hope to grow some one day... :biggrin:

Also, by experience, I tried several Orissa grass, and, as I remember, they're quiet weak, nothing to compare with Kerala, Nepal, etc.

Greetings!

B.

PS: not sure if the link work, so use the web tools...

PS': and I'm very sorry, if it's not allowed to post adress from another cannawebsite.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You can creatively link re: Trollitup, Geekcity, tee aitch see farmer, etc :D Kind of a stupid rule, but rules be rules

wow, these are awsome, I´ve selected a Black Widow, from Mr.Nice seeds, that is ( Brazilian Sativa x South Indian Indica) since I live in Brazil, and have grown out most of the available native herb, I am certain, that the pheno i´ve selected as a mother, is not , Brazilian Sativa dominant, I did go throgh a few beans that had a floral Sativa scent expressed, and had quite long flowering periods, but thats not the case..... check out these pics, and tell me what you guys think, does this plant resemble South Indian cannabis? if so, maybe Kerala ?

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
There's definitely lots of indica showing through so it's hard to say. But south Indian indica? I always assumed it was actually the Brazilian side where the indicaishness came from.. Brazilian sativa had already started hybridizing in the early 90's right? Either that or it wasn't actually a south Indian sativa but a north Indian hashplant.

flameninja

420giveaway
I grew a Kerala x skunk (indian skunk) outdoors at a northern lattitude last year :)
Was far too late for my climate but was a real monster of a plant,8-10 ft easy.
I only managed to salvage a load of premature air bud but im glad i grew her,she was a beautiful plant. Ill try find some pics and edit later.
:respect:

Last edited:
There's definitely lots of indica showing through so it's hard to say. But south Indian indica? I always assumed it was actually the Brazilian side where the indicaishness came from.. Brazilian sativa had already started hybridizing in the early 90's right? Either that or it wasn't actually a south Indian sativa but a north Indian hashplant.

actually, Black Widow is described as Brazilian Sativa x South Indian indica by the Mr.Nice seedbank.

I don´t think its the Brazilian side that brings in the indica, Brazilian local strains, like Manga Rosa, Cabeça de Nego (Bahia Black Head ), Cane (bengala) , head crecker ( Racha côco) , Fox tail ( Rabo de Raposa) are all originated from Africa, brought by Slaves, acclimated to local wather, mostly in the center, and northeastern part of the country. I´ve grown out most of the local strains, and all of them are very Sativa, long flowering, skinny leaves, nothing that resembles indica traits in them..... although, i´d say 90% of the weed sold on the streets, are from Paraguay, and what I´ve noticed, is that despite being compressed, quality has gone up, as well as the prices, and there is no more " summer dry season" as we used to have 5 years and back ...... I am Sure, there are clandestine breeding facilities in Paraguay that are bringing the flowering time down, and bumping up yealds, and I think thats where the hybridization of domestic cannabis started. The classic local weed is nearly extinct here, only very few people still hold the original local seeds.... eaven though lots of them claim to have the real Manga Rosa, its probably not true!

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
I was looking into the possibility of a south Indian indica the other day. Usually we think of indicas as growing north of the Himalayas and not in southern India, but the situation is like I said, we have very little knowledge of cannabis strains from different parts of this huge sub continent.

I never heard anyone besides Shanti talk about a south Indian indica so I did some googling. I found mentions of a variety known as sheelavathi or silavati which is supposed to be an indica of sorts and is grown in Andhra Pradesh and Odisha, just north of Kerala.

"‘Sheelavathi,’ a variety of potent ganja cultivated in the Naxalite-dominated forests bordering Odisha and Andhra Pradesh, is fast monopolising the black market for marijuana in Kerala, according to State Excise Department enforcers.

The drug has a higher tetrahydrocannabinol content, a psychoactive compound, than that of ‘Neelachadayan,’ a home-grown variety (of ganja) cultivated in the forests of Idukki district. It is smuggled in large quantities into the State by rail and road, including on inter-State trucks and buses carrying courier parcels."

If we take a look at the geography the thought of a south Indian indica doesn't seem as far fetched as one might think.

The mountain range of Western Ghats that runs through India ensures that the west coast, especially Kerala receives high rainfall (up to three meters a year!) but the eastern side of the mountains is in a rain shadow and parts of the Deccan plateau have a 7 month long dry season. The climate could indeed push towards an "indica" expression.

272px-Indiahills.png

These plants are from Odisha, way north from Kerala in eastern India

the-big-tree-marijuana-21224178.jpg

They look like a variation of the same theme as these Keralas by Roms but are more robust

picture.php

Maybe the indica/sativa- or even NLD/WLD distinction really means nothing here and they're all the same strain, or a local variant of it. The plant was brought from the north, we know that. I imagine there being hundreds of river valleys and micro climates in the Western Ghats just like in the Himalayas so lots of room for diversity.

It could unfortunately even be that this Sheelawati represents a hybrid variety and the wave has just hit Kerala big time, I hope it ain't so but if that's the case any pure Kerala seeds you might have are now even more valuable.

window

Veteran
Very interesting Thule, I also never heard of south Indian indica until I read Shanti's description.
Found this old Sacred seeds catalogue in the vintage photography thread.
picture.php
three different south Indians? And some incredible south Indian hybrids. Would love to know the difference between the three south Indians offered.

VirginHarvester

Veteran
I've known about Kerala for a while but have not paid attention because it sounded like a weak strain. But looking at the plant structure at 5-6 weeks makes me think it must be a real long flowering sativa. Anyone smoked straight Kerala?

I wonder if it's a nice hazy sativa?(my favorites).

window

Veteran
Happy holidays to all at I.C.
VirginHarvester, never smoked a pure South Indian, just the Indian haze and that had a crazy psychedelic high.
I'm looking forward to smoking this.:biggrin:
I think I read somewhere here on I.C that Sam Skunk man said south Indian that he smoked in the 70s was comparable to some of the best Thai.
Of course that was back then when I believe there was more of a cottage industry and like Thai stick the people that grew it took great pride in producing the finest seedless ganja, now its grown in the jungles....and full of seeds.
picture.php

I've had to bend her as the top was growing past the light and some leaves got burnt by the bulb, I'm a bit gutted as I think I've ruined the classic look but I gotta do whatever it takes.
picture.php

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
Wish I could help but the search comes out saying different things.. could be PH related, lack of MG, too much K.. or something. Excess N will make the tips curl downwards, not upwards. I had this upward curl happen with too little mg but there were also those zebra style leaves present.

window

Veteran
Hey curbie and Thule, thanks for trying.
Whatever it is, I think its improving a bit since rooting out her new pot so I will just let her keep doing her thing and try not to worry about it.
Since being bent, she is now starting to build her little buds, colitas.
picture.php

Huesos

South Indian.....

South Indian.....

That's a beautiful Kerala.

I was fortunate to work the South Indian from Rahan. I made a few seeds with three males: Jamaican Lambsbread, Thai, and Colombian Mangobiches.

If anyone has any pure landrace, or Nev #23, or exceptional sativas, let me know?

Attachments

• IMG_4121.JPG
    IMG_4121.JPG
    15.7 KB · Views: 24

Siever

Veteran
Can any of you sativa growers help me with what is going on with these leaves curling upwards at the ends?
View Image
Is it just nitrogen migrating from the leaves or something else? Lack of K perhaps?
Maybe a slight over/under feed? I'm stumped.

I've always heard that if the tiny tips at the edge of the leaves, also on the side of the leave, it's because the plants needs to cool down. Is it possible that your plants stand a little to hot?

Siever

Latest posts

Latest posts