What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Testing some everyday curiosities.

Bennyweed1

Veteran
Is organics better then synthetics

By no means do I expect to make this scientific. I for one -am not a scientist but only want to show results the average grower may expect to get or use as a simple reference point.

For this simple side by side, all I intend to do is veg two identical cuttings in small 16oz cups. I want to find out which one clearly outperforms the other before becoming completely root bound. Height, total size, and vigor will be my main focus. See pretty simple huh?

The controls will be (you guessed it) an organic soil crop receiving plain H20, no pH, no additives, no nothing and the second control will be the full nine yards. Straight COCO, AN 3 part base, magical, a carb supplement, pH pens, EC testing, the works.

Are smart pots better than regular pots

Again for this side by side I anticipate to keep it meek. Same model, comparable rules but a little altered to keep things equivalent.

Two identical cuttings being growing in straight COCO, using synthetic nutrients, but one cut is going to be in a small regular 1 liter container and the other in a .9L airpot. I know the difference is .1L so I will trim the none smart pot for equal medium proportions.

Again the main focuses will be height, total size, and vigor before becoming completely root bound.

If interest, stay tuned.

Bennyweed1

Veteran
Oh wow, I never knew it even wast posted.

When you submit stuff here it has to get approved by the moderator and I never knew it was approved! My mistake.

I will still do this side by side now that I know this thread is here. I need a little time to get things arranged now. Ill post again when I am ready to do this.

Good times.

M

MrSterling

Use a mix of both. That is the best.

Absolutely not. Organics rely upon the micro herd to keep the soil alive and feed the plant. Synthetics feed the plant directly and because of their salt base and high dose end up killing the bioherd. Pick organic or synthetic(I am a great believer in organics for many reasons), but don't try mixing the two.

yerboyblue

Absolutely not. Organics rely upon the micro herd to keep the soil alive and feed the plant. Synthetics feed the plant directly and because of their salt base and high dose end up killing the bioherd. Pick organic or synthetic(I am a great believer in organics for many reasons), but don't try mixing the two.

Your absolutely right. Tho the brand of synthetic I use is derived from organics, and is actually mostly organic, something like 80%. They are a very low dose synthetic. Soul Synthetics is what I run, along with some Roots Organic. Seems to be working wonders honestly.

mckb024

I know from experience that soil needs more cubic area to keep from getting rootbound, unlike rockwool, no experience with coco though. test on brother!!!!

mrwags

********* Female Seeds
ICMag Donor
Veteran
might need to bin this one. op got lost but will give it a few days before it's binned.

Be Well
Mr Wags