What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

U.S. Gov't Will Legalize Marijuana on August 1

R

Robrites

Federal Preemption means weed will soon be legal in all 50 states, with a prescription

The U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration will reclassify marijuana as a "Schedule Two" drug on August 1, 2016, essentially legalizing medicinal cannabis in all 50 states with a doctor's prescription, said a DEA lawyer with knowledge of the matter.
The DEA Lawyer had told the lawyer representing a DEA informant of the DEA's plan to legalize medicinal cannibis nationwide on August 1, 2016. When questioned by our reporter, the DEA lawyer felt compelled to admit the truth to him as well.
"Whatever the law may be in California, Arizona or Utah or any other State, because of Federal preemption this will have the effect of making THC products legal with a prescription, in all 50 states," the DEA attorney told the Observer. Federal Preemption is a legal doctrine that where the US Government regulates a particular field, State and local laws are overridden and of no effect.
He explained that "there are five DEA schedules. Nothing on Schedule One is ever legal, and that is where Cannabis is today. Schedule Two drugs are available with a prescription."
On Schedule Two, marijuana will join drugs like Percocet, Xanax, Oxycontin, Abilify and other drugs that are legal, even common, with a prescription. There are also other drugs that are not on any schedules but that are illegal on a federal level, he said. Drugs like aspirin and ibuprofen are available over-the-counter.
He opined that the 135 medicinal cannabis clinic owners in Los Angeles will no doubt oppose this move by the Federal government, because the rule change will eliminate any reason for people to visit medical marijuana clinics. "In my opinion, CVS pharmacy, Rite-Aid and Walgreens will sell Schedule Two THC products similar to what users call "edibles," but will not sell smokable weed because of the health risk smoking anything entails," said the DEA lawyer.
The Los Angeles based DEA Attorney who spoke to us, asked to remain anonymous because he was not authorized to speak to the press about the matter. He speculated that this action will be taken in the closing days of the 2016 U.S. Presidential election, so as to motivate the Democratic base to turn out and vote for Hillary Clinton, and other down ballot candidates. She will certainly not reverse this policy decision taken in the waning days of the Barack Obama administration, he said. But Donald Trump might.
"Marijuana enforcement is a big drain on DEA resources," he said was another reason for the change, noting that a majority of the American public favor the legalization of marijuana for medical use.

http://www.smobserved.com/story/201...will-legalize-marijuana-on-august-1/1484.html

bigAl25

Veteran
If true, it would be s step in the right direction, but it doesn't even belong in that group of drugs, it is much safer and less subject to abuse than other schedule 2 drugs. I want full legalization and no incarceration for cannabis whatsoever.

I'm not sure that people quite understand how BAD this idea is....

In terms of furthering research and opening the availability up to patients in states where the laws are still illegal, it's good. To all those in medical/legal states, this could spell some super bad news...

The issue with Schedule II is that just like opioids, amphetamines, etc. Cannabis will now be REQUIRED by law to be produced by companies holding FDA and DEA approval to cultivate and distribute the drug. It is HIGHLY illegal to produce Schedule II drugs if you don't have the proper licenses to obtain the precursors (in cannabis' case - seeds) and proper oversight to produce/cultivate the drug. Meaning it's a great possibility that only large pharmaceutical companies with tons of money and proper licenses will be the only ones allowed to produce the medicine.

In terms of distribution, a doctor would need to use their DEA number to prescribe it, which could place doctors in a tricky situation, because just like opioids or amphetamines, their records will be periodically checked and they could lose their license due to prescribing practices which is currently a big deal especially with opioids. Many doctors throughout the country won't even prescribe opioids to those who they know need them, due to the prospect of losing their license. This could become a major issue in trying to obtain a prescription to get your medicine.

Not only will doctors be put into a tricky situation, pharmacists will also be in the same position. The cannabis will have to be distributed through licensed pharmacists, and they reserve the right to NOT give you your medicines based on personal decisions of whether or not they might lose their license as well. I've had this issue with opioid prescriptions in the past when regulations got stronger and many doctors in my area were under attack from the DEA. Many places wouldn't fill my prescription even though the doctor was still prescribing it and wasn't under investigation.

All of this allows a lot of chances for everyone to get in a lot more legal trouble, whether it be the person producing the drug, the doctor prescribing the drug, or the pharmacist distributing the drug.

To many this sounds like a good idea, but to me, it sounds like an easy way to restrict access to the medicine while publicly reaping the benefits of the media campaign that would promote it as a step forward, while actually moving backwards.

Cannabis needs to be DE-Scheduled much like alcohol, which would allow everyone to use it for the reasons they see fit, whether it is for medical use or recreational, and would remove most of the ability to be penalized for using it in whichever form it is used/prescribed.

Until we start recognizing that the argument that it needs to be "Regulated and Taxed" is a HORRIBLE argument, we are gonna keep finding ourselves in trickier and trickier positions. Regulations mean interference from government control. Taxes means tracking production and sales. Cannabis needs to be free from any of these restrictions and TRULY legalized. Until you can grow as many plants as you want, be free from taxation (unless on the public sale, not private distribution), and free from prosecution for violating regulations, it is not Legal, and needs to be reframed as decriminalized.

- Life

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This is all being done for GW Pharma. (they've cleared several FDA clinical trials in the past year) Uncle Sam will be happy. His payday is coming.

dank.Frank

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Almost sounds too "April Foolish". If this is true, why isn't it making headlines everywhere???

And if Sanjay Gupta, M.D. says it....might be credible. But politics and grubby Big Pharma will be an obstacle, as it always has been....

Wait and watch.

Easy7

Veteran
This could put a lot of people out of biz or force underground their ventures. When the Feds wanted states to raise the drinking age to 21 they threatened to pull federal funding for highways. Depending on who the next President is they could attempt many tactics to undermine states privileges determine their own mj laws, rec or med.

Easy7

Veteran
Thought about this a bit more and when or if the fed govt makes a switch, what's stopping only big Kharkiv companies from taking over? Seems Uncle Sam favors big companies that move money offshore and not the small mom and pop operations. Will they allow state laws or use the trump card.

rootfingers

The pharma companies will definitely step in now. Thank goodness we voted for Bernie. As president, I trust he will work to even the playing field. Oh wait.... Fuck.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
Big government and Big business want to be your new pot dealers...

Oh, and if you dare to grow your own for yourself, or to try to make a few bucks, they're still gonna fuck you over.

maybe even worse than when it was illegal!

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
Big government and Big business want to be your new pot dealers...

Oh, and if you dare to grow your own for yourself, or to try to make a few bucks, they're still gonna fuck you over.

maybe even worse than when it was illegal!

yeah this is starting to look nothing like the legalization we used to dream about

crazy taxes and no home grows, but they want us to believe that we are better off under this new scheme?!?
money grabs, thats all this is!

F-em'

TheMan13

Veteran
The DEA does not have the authority under the Controlled Substance Act to change anything. The DEA was sued into requesting a study be done by the FDA and that is now coming to fruition. The law (CSA) on the other hand is solely the purview of the US Attorney General and the study conducted must be by the Department of Health and Human Services. Specifically, that study needs to be requested by the USAG and I don't see that occurring any time soon. It's all just theater until then ...

[YOUTUBEIF]LP8f-tvDsQQ[/YOUTUBEIF]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LP8f-tvDsQQ

igrowone

Veteran
good thread to sub to, i guess not totally impossible
i'm sure there is some legal weasel path to do this, if it's wanted to be done
sounds more like a lawyer playing a card to muddy up some legal proceedings?
until then, watch and learn

Latest posts

Latest posts