What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Old Growers becoming obsolete

CrushnYuba

That's true. There are very few strains that will yield big and produce. But commercial ops will run them anyway. They just might need to charge a premium. It still could be offered for less then mom n pops.
I personally like BD. It's always bright green and frosty, has crazy vigor. Very few plants grow like a huge sativa and then put out super dense nugs. BD is just kind of a dirty word now. And it's just not in style. Sweet flavors are just not what people want anymore. I wish i had a bd like growing plant that didn't smell sweet.
I live in California and the Santa Cruz bd cut is everywhere. But whenever someone makes a seed variant of a clone only it gets confusing. It should be discouraged.

packerfan79

Veteran
That's true. There are very few strains that will yield big and produce. But commercial ops will run them anyway. They just might need to charge a premium. It still could be offered for less then mom n pops.
I personally like BD. It's always bright green and frosty, has crazy vigor. Very few plants grow like a huge sativa and then put out super dense nugs. BD is just kind of a dirty word now. And it's just not in style. Sweet flavors are just not what people want anymore. I wish i had a bd like growing plant that didn't smell sweet.
I live in California and the Santa Cruz bd cut is everywhere. But whenever someone makes a seed variant of a clone only it gets confusing. It should be discouraged.

I grew platinum blue dream, that checked most of those requirements. It was a clone, haven't seen it since. I grew it for 4 years before I passed it to a buddy. He went to Vegas on vacation, and let it die, freaking jerk.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
If I don't feed heavy my hydro flushes cleaner than my soil... even the light blended soil.

It is really in the eye of the beholder.

I didn't buy it until I took the Pepsi challenge myself.

But if it burns without fireworks and is decently cured I can smoke it usually.

ronbo51

Veteran
I don't understand why people keep saying things like "people will get tired of the mass produced boring stuff"
If i had 10 unskilled, reliable full time employees and a whole bunch of capital, i could easily crank out 10,000lbs of the best weed you have ever seen. Why do people think that the "mass produced" stuff won't be as good?

That's the thing a lot of people don't get. Capital crushes labor. That's just a fact. Of course very high quality cannabis can be grown at scale. It's not that hard. A couple of counties in Iowa could reliably supply the country with pot. Small farms in Missouri, or Illinois, or Texas can be thousands of acres, easily managed by a few skilled hands and the right equipment. Unskilled labor, or seasonal labor can always be found (like trimmers). Yes, the boutique growers will always have a place, but for the thousands of acres that will be harvested commercially, it's concentrates for the masses.

St. Phatty

That's the thing a lot of people don't get. Capital crushes labor. That's just a fact. Of course very high quality cannabis can be grown at scale. It's not that hard. A couple of counties in Iowa could reliably supply the country with pot. Small farms in Missouri, or Illinois, or Texas can be thousands of acres, easily managed by a few skilled hands and the right equipment. Unskilled labor, or seasonal labor can always be found (like trimmers). Yes, the boutique growers will always have a place, but for the thousands of acres that will be harvested commercially, it's concentrates for the masses.

All facts except for the last sentence, which sounds like an accurate judgment.

Knowing how we were as teenagers - looking for fun, not health, wisdom or enlightenment - it sounds like a very accurate forecast.

I totally admired the Green Dot Lab plants when they were here, but I have mixed feelings about "people who may not exercise good judgment while or before driving" ... again, knowing how we were as teenagers. And, having watched the movie, "The Crossing Guard".

I expect the temptation to load a bowl with 10 or 20 Green Dot doses will be quite irresistible for a lot of folks.

If you're a med patient or those are CBD dots for a med patient - well that's great.

But the temptation to smoke 10 or 20 bowls' worth in one bowl - it assumes a lot of things about the human body that we just don't know. E.g. the relation between heavy dosing and Parkinson's, whether it's later in life or for a young person, the way Michael Fox got it. Who knows ? Not me.

Oh well, maybe there's a market for "Original Pot" festivals. Give young people & people a taste of 'grower's choice' med grade Cannabis. If they yawn, so it goes.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Maybe its time to set up an old growers home? - for those that have led a life of having their heads burned by 600 watt high-pressure-sodium bulbs, or dodged helicopters for decades.

Of course every resident should have the facility to grow either assisted or not, to spend their last days doing what they do best...lol

flubnutz

stoned agin ...
Veteran
The store bought stuff will be good but boring.

Look at wine, craft beer, craft distilleries.

You guys are the connoisseurs of strains, genetics.

And, fcuk the government reaching in your pocket.

More people than ever will want to grow, want advice.

Grow on :biggrin:

p.s. Jeff Sessions can eat sh!t :biggrin:

St. Phatty

Maybe its time to set up an old growers home? - for those that have led a life of having their heads burned by 600 watt high-pressure-sodium bulbs, or dodged helicopters for decades.

In the winter, those less efficient HPS and MH bulbs do allright.

I have electric heating, so not much incentive to use a more efficient LED.

I have a problem keeping the grow space clean.

Right now I have coffee trees under the Metal Halide in the master bedroom.

It's sort of never-ending - the cats LOVE the soil there. Even if the kitty litter is clean, they head for the now-very-poopy coffee tree soil to do their business. It's a problem.

So if the retirement home has cats - which I think it should :woohoo: the soil pots for house-plants need a donut shaped cat proof cover.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Is there an icmag Facebook or instagram account? Gypsy, opportunities! :biggrin:

No mate.....I don't do FB, Insta or any others - but we do do ICMAG here.

In the winter, those less efficient HPS and MH bulbs do allright.

I have electric heating, so not much incentive to use a more efficient LED.

I have a problem keeping the grow space clean.

Right now I have coffee trees under the Metal Halide in the master bedroom.

It's sort of never-ending - the cats LOVE the soil there. Even if the kitty litter is clean, they head for the now-very-poopy coffee tree soil to do their business. It's a problem.

So if the retirement home has cats - which I think it should :woohoo: the soil pots for house-plants need a donut shaped cat proof cover.

I'm sure that at the Old Growers Rest Home help can be found.. Hopefully we are not a dying breed - and the youngsters will carry on regardless...

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Finally, 20 year olds listen to my advice. :D

My grand kids will be like "Tell me the story about the coyotes at your grow again"

Putembk

One Toke Over The Line
Premium user
Morning old farts. I ain't ready for a rest home yet. I am still rocking. Besides I just stared medicare and social security a couple of years ago....I am gonna live past 90 and get my $$ back that I have paid into the gov't for the past 45 years.....

bigAl25

Veteran
I don't believe we will become obsolete. I have shared the fruits of my grows with both my sons over the years. When I pass and that will certainly happen, but just don't know exactly when, they not only get my 2 Mont Blanc pens, they can each take one 400 watt lamp and ballast. It should be one of our pursuits to pass down our love of growing to our children. Then they too can contribute to safe, organic grown, properly cured mason jar, flushed ganja. My family faced our mortality this week burying my mother of 92 years. I will attempt to make it a family tradition, just like those moonshiners passed on their hobby to future generations. Peace and respect and I just fried too many of my new seed starts under my lamps again.

shithawk420

Veteran
Had a similar conversation with my dad.im 30 he's 60.i showed him these hipster kids in million dollar warehouses making wax and budder.we couldn't put our finger on how these dorks(they did know what they were doing) got millions in funds or are they just Cali rich? Can someone explain this?the equipment alone was at least 50 Grand

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I don't understand why people keep saying things like "people will get tired of the mass produced boring stuff"
If i had 10 unskilled, reliable full time employees and a whole bunch of capital, i could easily crank out 10,000lbs of the best weed you have ever seen. Why do people think that the "mass produced" stuff won't be as good?

I don't think it is because the skills for quality production aren't there but rather because MOST (not all) of the mass producers will be focused on money.

As well as:
A lot of consumers (most) do not buy the top shelf product which lessens the demand for such.

At this point in time, the cannabis business is NOT consumer driven because most consumers will take what they can get (what's available) and what they can afford.

Not sure how prices are across the nation but dispensary bud in the 4 corners Colorado ranges from $12/g to $25/g. Bottom shelf products seem to come from the same exact plants as the top shelf. The difference being popcorn vs Buds/Nugs at the top as well as whether it's hand trimmed or machine trimmed.