What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tons of information on Humic and Fulvic acid and their sources.

BillFarthing

Veteran
The method proposed by Lamar et al in May 2014 recently became the international standard for the analysis of humic acids and hydrophobic fulvic acids in commercial humic products on July, 17, 2018.

Link:

www.humictrade.org/news-and-events/
(remove the https:// from beginning of site address to load)

The Lamar method for fulvic acid is better than V&B, but is still inherently flawed. The minerals, fulvic and fulvates can add up to more than a million parts per million. It includes humic portions just slightly larger than fulvic acid. The same test material can vary by 15% fulvic content meaning there is no real standardization with fulvic acid.

Bio boy

How do advanced nutrients use fulvic and hunic acids to make all nute npks avalible at a wide oh and jo need to ph check ?

I tried adking a company about using their raw monos and making my own but they said that only certain nutes get chelated and the rest especialy phos is not absorbed unless phed .

How do tjeu do it? How can i replicate it

BillFarthing

Veteran
How do advanced nutrients use fulvic and hunic acids to make all nute npks avalible at a wide oh and jo need to ph check ?

I tried adking a company about using their raw monos and making my own but they said that only certain nutes get chelated and the rest especialy phos is not absorbed unless phed .

How do tjeu do it? How can i replicate it

Humic acid is soluble at alkaline pH. It is intended for long-term soil building adding carbon to your growing medium, but it needs to be broken down further to chelate nutrients.

Fulvic acid is soluble and bioactive at all pH levels. It is suitable for hydroponic and foliar usage and chelates all nutrients, especially micros.

chilliwilli

Waterboy
420giveaway
Hi folks

Are humic substances the same as humic acids?
I use biovin granulat alot and the site states its 66.7% humic substances and i have always asumed it means humic acids.

https://www.biovin.at/home.html

Realy love that stuff and its cheap where i live, 7euro per kg

Thx chilliwilli

BillFarthing

Veteran
Hi folks

Are humic substances the same as humic acids?
I use biovin granulat alot and the site states its 66.7% humic

No, humic substances can include humic, fulvic, carbon, amino and organic acids derived from organic matter like leonardite or shale.

Further, there are several testing methods that are misleading concerning humic substances. V&B testing is on most fertilizer labels, but it is outdated and inaccurate for inflating the inactive ash content in those humic substances.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
420giveaway
Humic acid is soluble at alkaline pH. It is intended for long-term soil building adding carbon to your growing medium, but it needs to be broken down further to chelate nutrients.

Fulvic acid is soluble and bioactive at all pH levels. It is suitable for hydroponic and foliar usage and chelates all nutrients, especially micros.

Hey bill,
In the past I heard on a podcast that humic is for the soil and fulvic is for foliar.
Is this true? I noticed you say that fulvic is for foliar and hydro.

Should I add fulvic to all foliar sprays to help chelate and absorb?

I have a bottle of fulvic acid and then I have a bag of RealGrowers Recharge which says contains both humic acid fulvic.

What would be an instance where you would not want to use fulvic or humic in your nutrient solution?

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks for your time.
:tiphat:

BillFarthing

Veteran
Hey bill,
In the past I heard on a podcast that humic is for the soil and fulvic is for foliar.
Is this true? I noticed you say that fulvic is for foliar and hydro.

Should I add fulvic to all foliar sprays to help chelate and absorb?

Yes. Fulvic is immediately available for chelation through foliar and root absorbtion. Humic can be broken down into fulvic by bacteria, mycorrhizae and enzymes, but is primarily for soil because of the carbon content.

I have a bottle of fulvic acid and then I have a bag of RealGrowers Recharge which says contains both humic acid fulvic.

What would be an instance where you would not want to use fulvic or humic in your nutrient solution?

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks for your time.
:tiphat:

Humic can clog sprayers and cover plants with crap. I only use humic in soil/soilless for the roots. Fulvic is for immediate absorbtion in soil, chelating nutrient solution pH and nutrients, hydro and foliar.

Bio boy

Yes. Fulvic is immediately available for chelation through foliar and root absorbtion. Humic can be broken down into fulvic by bacteria, mycorrhizae and enzymes, but is primarily for soil because of the carbon content.

Humic can clog sprayers and cover plants with crap. I only use humic in soil/soilless for the roots. Fulvic is for immediate absorbtion in soil, chelating nutrient solution pH and nutrients, hydro and foliar.

Amazing. My spray bars massive so its ok lol.

I have and use both myself and its in my hydro food alredy lol.
I do use bennies n funguis tho.

So are ya saying there if i get my raw industries n p k raw . My amino acids b vitamins kelp and bennies and micro nutes.

I mix them to ratios i want and i add in fulvic acid. It will chelate all my npks without need to ph.

Like advanced nutrients do right ?

No nutes getblocked out like the dude said. (I took it he never understood what it meant to add fulvics )

Cause appart from the ph techbology no need to ph thing i can make the a and b i pay 100 dollar for 5litre from raw for 100follar i get 800litres god damn

So if i could chelate the ph pwrfect tech id drop it n run make my own woohooos

Big M

Great thread! I've tried a few fulvic acids with good results in the past. Lately I've been using Mr Fulvic along with epsom salt, and Dyna Gro Pro Tekt and Foliage Pro with great results. Plants are happier, and I've been able to cut back on the Foliage Pro by 20% since adding to my nutes. It's the retail version of AgTonik's AGT-50 that's sold business to business.

Bio boy

Great thread! I've tried a few fulvic acids with good results in the past. Lately I've been using Mr Fulvic along with epsom salt, and Dyna Gro Pro Tekt and Foliage Pro with great results. Plants are happier, and I've been able to cut back on the Foliage Pro by 20% since adding to my nutes. It's the retail version of AgTonik's AGT-50 that's sold business to business.

Wow atg 50 had a look damn the acids wow what the hell didnt know half of thembfor most of them lol and some amazing benefits

I looked at pro tek for my cuttings can see why it works then if thats the publics versikn howevwr i dont uderstand why thwy do a busines and public ver of things

Tho i thaugh pro tekt was just silica??

Or u mean mr fulvic damn ...cant get eithwr in the uk and nothing similar its all fulvic only ur stuff got fulvic and 30 other cool bits lol

BillFarthing

Veteran

Foliage Pro is probably the best 1-part on the market. Mr. Fulvic would chelate the calcium and magnesium and add sulfur, which the Dyna-Gro formula had to make a small compromise to get into one bottle. A high quality fulvic should save you a ton on fertilizer and pH controls.

Big M

Wow atg 50 had a look damn the acids wow what the hell didnt know half of thembfor most of them lol and some amazing benefits

I looked at pro tek for my cuttings can see why it works then if thats the publics versikn howevwr i dont uderstand why thwy do a busines and public ver of things

Tho i thaugh pro tekt was just silica??

Or u mean mr fulvic damn ...cant get eithwr in the uk and nothing similar its all fulvic only ur stuff got fulvic and 30 other cool bits lol

Pro Tekt is basically just silica and water. It has 3% soluble potash, and 7.8% silicon dioxide, both derived from potassium silicate. If you cant find that, maybe you can find AgSil 16 over there. It would be way cheaper in the end too. I may switch over to that one day, but the Pro Tekt is already ready already, and not too expensive for my needs.

AGT-50 is an agricultural product aimed at farmers who buy in bulk for their plants, and livestock, too. I think Mr Fulvic was created to provide us home gardeners with the same product in smaller quantities, and in a retail fashion that we are used to vs business to business sales. I see Mr Fulvic is available on Amazon, maybe you could find it there.

Big M

Foliage Pro is probably the best 1-part on the market. Mr. Fulvic would chelate the calcium and magnesium and add sulfur, which the Dyna-Gro formula had to make a small compromise to get into one bottle. A high quality fulvic should save you a ton on fertilizer and pH controls.

I can really tell that it's helping with the calcium and magnesium. Before adding the Mr Fulvic, I was feeding pretty high EC and still seeing some cal/mag issues. A half teaspoon of epsom salts helped, but put the EC way higher than I wanted, and wasn't addressing any calcium issues. Now that I use 1 ml of Mr Fulvic per gallon, I only use a quarter teaspoon of epsom, and 20% less on the Foliage Pro. Now there's no calmag issues. :)