What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Speakers Corner is toxic

EsterEssence

Veteran
This site is VERY good for cannabis discussion, with one sub forum for political and other related issues it’s easy not to come here. It does reflect how deeply divided the USA has become, if it’s not for you stay away, since the election I only like the funny pic thread...

weedobix

ICMag Donor
Veteran
:wave:
Having opposing opinions makes for good debate
but we all have to be working off actual facts and a certain group seems to be living in make believe

there is tons of misinformation out there in general, but especially coming from the mainstream, so being able to discuss all sides of things is pertinent to this kind of climate, where it's difficult to trust anything anymore.

G

Oh the speakers corner is great if your a leftist. Then you pretty much get to insult and talk shit all you want with blessings.

Midnight Tokar

Veteran
Although I am new here, I was a member previously for a number of years.

i have to say that the speakers corner has really degenerated into a toxic cesspool of hate. Much of this is obviously around the US election. I have read about people advocating for killing their fellow citizens, public hangings,seen videos advocating armed uprising. I have been linked to some sites that can only be described as batshit crazy. All this in a section which is supposed to have friendly discourse.

In the last 2 weeks I have noticed a few old members delete their account, or say they won't post anymore. These issues even spill out into grow forums. To be honest there's some on here that I used to respect a lot; now not so much.

In short, I think the speakers corner is causing huge disharmony and will harm the site in the long term. Personally I am trying to stay away, but have strong views so not always possible. It's like a daily soap opera that I hate, but can't keep away. Plus once you post in a thread it forever updates in my posts.

Anyway if it was up to me I would ditch it altogether, or somehow clean it up. I know this won't happen but I just needed to vent.
When the moderators were trying to keep a sense of decency and decorum a few years ago there was no Speakers Corner.
Unfortunately it appears that the powers that be have realized that having a Speakers Corner generates more threads and more posts equals more advertising revenue. Sadly much of that disharmony is not only tolerated but actually encouraged.

I try to stay out of that forum but occasionally someone posts something so blatantly ignorant that I find myself getting sucked back in. Best action is to just totally ignore that section of ICMAG.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
It would be nice to have an ignore or unfollow feature on threads and not just users.

You could say that again

PS louder

- well lads - there is a function that you can use that can stop you seeing threads and posts that you don't like - its call a 'Mouse' -

picture.php

Just don't click it!

Cvh

Supermod
^Hell yeah!

Seriously, just stop clicking on threads you don't like or what might upset you. :biggrin:

Omg, imagine getting upset by what somebody has written in the Speakers Corner and that's not even addressed to you personally. Hahaha.

The Speakers Corner is our cesspool. We need it. If you have the need to post some garbage then go there. Or if you want to go punch a bit with others then jump into that mosh pit.

:biggrin:

h.h.

Veteran
there is tons of misinformation out there in general, but especially coming from the mainstream, so being able to discuss all sides of things is pertinent to this kind of climate, where it's difficult to trust anything anymore.

Trust me instead. I have a direct line to God.

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
420giveaway
I don’t know what is possible with the forum software but another – non-cannabis – site that I am a long termer on solved it by making a sub-forum - or maybe a parallel forum? If you were not logged in, nothing was visible. If you were logged it a link to the forum appeared at the top of the current threads landing page. But . . . the threads in it weren’t visible until you clicked to enter. This kept the main forum politics & religion free but gave everyone a place to go if they did feel the urge. Mods were vigilant about moving threads that drifted into p & r so it all worked & everyone was happy.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
I don’t know what is possible with the forum software but another – non-cannabis – site that I am a long termer on solved it by making a sub-forum - or maybe a parallel forum? If you were not logged in, nothing was visible. If you were logged it a link to the forum appeared at the top of the current threads landing page. But . . . the threads in it weren’t visible until you clicked to enter. This kept the main forum politics & religion free but gave everyone a place to go if they did feel the urge. Mods were vigilant about moving threads that drifted into p & r so it all worked & everyone was happy.

- we will be upgrading to the newest version of VBulletin within the next coupla weeks - and I'm pretty sure we will be able to do something like that with the new software - needs a coupla weeks testing and changing first methinks - bear with us -

growlegal

Veteran

You are trying to change the current of social media
Good luck but you could always join a church :cathug:

armedoldhippy

Veteran

yup. an archery forum i belong to has several sub-forums that are not visible unless you are logged in as a member. non-members or those members that did not use/appreciate those areas could just ignore them at their leisure... you gotta be pretty pitiful/easily upset if others doing something you do not bothers you to the point of leaving a place like this...JMHO
:blowbubbles:

Brother Nature

- well lads - there is a function that you can use that can stop you seeing threads and posts that you don't like - its call a 'Mouse' -

View Image

Just don't click it!

For sure and most are pretty good at that, but there is clearly a large amount of people who simply don't have that self control to not comment on something that is different than their perspective on the world. I see it in lots of threads here, not just the speakers corner, those sativa threads can get pretty viscous at times too. Personally, I like the speakers corner and most of the discussions in there. I even enjoy talking shit in some of the divisive threads from time to time, it can actually be a good form of stress relief. But, it's obviously effecting some members, some very long standing and good pot content contributing members, so if there were a way to help some members with their self-discipline, I'm all for it. :D

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
- The Speakers Corner is a place where you can virtually stand on a soap-box and say your piece - its free speech - so long as you remain civil and respect other members - this is not compulsory for you to do - or to read - there are many 'bars' or forums here - as St. Phatty has made the analogy - where you can sit quite comfortably and not be bothered by others - who wish to stand on a soap-box and freely speak their minds in The Speakers Corner -

- I'm not a rap music fan - so I don't go to bars or clubs that play that sort of music - because I don't groove to it - but many others love it - as is their right - and I am not forced to listen to it - or even forced to post about it in some music thread/forum - as no member is forced to read or participate in the S.C. -

- Members come and members go for a variety of reasons - they have the free will to do that - and if they wish to stand on a soapbox and say their piece - there is a forum for that - as there is a forum for all sorts of other interests - most all pertaining to cannabis cultivation -

* ICMAG - is not just one bar/forum - it has so many for you to chose from - so many members wanted to talk about difficult topics - involving politics or religion - and I was tired of banning and censoring them for it - that is why the SC came about - if you don't like it - then don't go there to read or contribute - simple really -

It could be quite good, were it not for all the stupid members who are reading challenged :biggrin:

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
:wave:
Having opposing opinions makes for good debate
but we all have to be working off actual facts and a certain group seems to be living in make believe

I once tried to establish the difference between a 'stated fact' e.g. my toe is bruised and a substantiated fact supported by evidence. Not one member could comprehend this difference....sad.

Chi13

ICMag Donor
yup. an archery forum i belong to has several sub-forums that are not visible unless you are logged in as a member. non-members or those members that did not use/appreciate those areas could just ignore them at their leisure... you gotta be pretty pitiful/easily upset if others doing something you do not bothers you to the point of leaving a place like this...JMHO
:blowbubbles:
I take your point but for me it wasn't about being upset easily, it was more about principle. I did not at the time want to support a site that seemed ok with racism. Other things I find a challenge are when violence is advocated, such as execution of those who hold a different view.

I do wonder where the line in the sand would be? What subjects would not be allowed? For instance if someone was advocating ethnic cleansing, torture, paedophilia, just to name a few examples, would that be allowed? I just don't think all this has been thought out. The only rule now seems to be that you aren't allowed to abuse other members. I would hate to be a mod at present.

Latest posts

Latest posts