What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Winter 2020 - Orient Express, Kali China, R&D Annapurna's crosses

BenoitV1984

Veteran
Hello there,

Big upgrade in the big tent, I upgraded the whole extraction system. I couldn't deal with loud as fuck AC RVK fans anymore so I upgraded with two Systemair Revolution Silenced Vector EC v2 in 150mm/6in size. Those fans are silent as fuck indeed. Running at 25% for the outtake and 15% for the intake, I can't hear anything beside the circulation fans and the outtake of the mother room. It's really a relieve at night now.

Outake, intake and controller:
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

So this session, I'll be growing Orient Express and Kali China. We're getting to the colder months so there is no better time in the year to grow these two. I grew Orient Express once and it was a disaster (Ace Mix pack in summer months, not working). As for Kali China, I gave clone to friends but never grew it myself yet.

I will also grow both Annapurna's crosses from the R&D which I was gifted by dubi :). Seeds are offspring's from Nepalese dominant parents, see below.

As I had some issue with Nepal Annapurna x Nepal Mist germination, dubi kindly sent me 10 more seeds and advised me to pre-soak them 24h before planting them directly in well aerated peat with eventually some coco, as opposed to germinating them in jiffy pads. It worked way better and 3 days after sowing 5 of those seeds, 2 of them already cracked soil, as opposed to nothing after 3 weeks in jiffy pads. Well, at least I have 2 males I'm keeping for now from the first 5 seeds I was gifted.

Left back: Nepal Mist #16 x Nepal Annapurna.
Left front: Nepal Annapurna #53 x Nepal Mist germinating in little greenhouse. If 600W MH is too much for them, they'll go back in the mother room under the LEDs.
Right back: Orient Express (Vietnam Black sativa phenotype)
Right front: Kali China

picture.php

I'll upgrade when there is more to see on the Nepal Annapurna x Nepal Mist front.

Take care,
Ben

Last edited:

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi Benoit,

Very happy to see the indoor setup upgraded and with new genetics :)
As we have commented privately, pure Nepalese Annapurna and seeds coming from her are slower to germinate than modern hybrid seeds,
and sprout better when planted directly in the soil rather than in paper towels. Hopefully you can finally give a taste this time to the new Nepalese Annapurna hybrids.

BenoitV1984

Veteran
Hi Luis,

I don't know if you tried to germinate Nepal Annapurna x Nepal Mist on your end, but I definitively can't get past 40% germination rate whatever the process. Maybe you should have brought Annapurna to P2 before crossing her to Nepal Mist. I checked the other 3 today. Seed number 3 vanished, number 4 and 5 are still closed, no taproot whatsoever, they have been sowed Thursday last week. I think I'll repot the two which are up in 26 liters smartpots and not hope anything from the other 3. I really hope those two are female because I won't be sowing anything else for this session. If they are male, I haven't pruned my Panama x Malawi mother for a while now.

Cheers,
Ben

Edit: Found back #3, no taproot either.

Last edited:

BenoitV1984

Veteran
I just went ahead and repot the two Nepal Annapurna x Nepal Mist, roots were getting out of the pots anyway.

Orient Express

picture.php

Kali China

picture.php

Nepal Annapurna #53 x Nepal Mist

picture.php

picture.php

The other 3 are still taking their sweet time.

Nepal Mist #16 x Nepal Annapurna

picture.php

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi Benoit,

Did you manage to germinate more Nepalese seeds from the second seed lot ?
Would love to see you playing with more individuals for a better approach to the new genetics.

BenoitV1984

Veteran
Hi Luis,

Nope, from these 5 seeds of the last batch, only those two germinate. As I said above, I can’t get past 40% germination whatever the process. The 3 dud are still in their pot but I doubt they will ever open, it will be a month in a few days (sowed November 26th).

I will update with some pictures later this week. I wanted to do that yesterday but camera battery was dead.

BenoitV1984

Veteran
Nice progress in just two weeks :)

The whole garden

picture.php

Orient Express

picture.php

Kali China

picture.php

Last edited:

BenoitV1984

Veteran
Nepal Annapurna #53 x Nepal Mist - #1

picture.php

Nepal Annapurna #53 x Nepal Mist - #2

picture.php

picture.php

BenoitV1984

Veteran
Well I scrog everything and Kali China doesn’t seem to mind. She obviously has some sativa traits despite being mostly indica. Btw, I had mismatched the pictures for Orient express and Kali China, just fixed that.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Very healthy start and well focused SCROG Benoit :)

Thanks for your great contributions in this room during this difficult year.
Wish 2021 brings you great moments and blessed harvests! :ying:

BenoitV1984

Veteran
Ola Luis,

Thanks you for your kind words, your support and the little gifts here and there these past years :)

Hope next year bring you happy moments to you and your loved ones. Same goes for everyone around. Fucked up world isn't going to deprive us of that won't it?

Anyway... A couple weeks and pruning later, the little ones are getting bigger and this is going to be another happy jungle around here. I fear things are gonna get messy ^^

Both Nepal Annapurna x Nepal Mist reached sexual maturity. Phyllotaxy switched from opposite to alternate and I noticed a couple preflowers which seem to be female. We will see for sure in a couple weeks as I will flip tomorrow.

The garden

picture.php

Kali China

picture.php

picture.php

Shot of her from last week while pruning, first time I ever see red/pink sap from one of my collection.

picture.php

Last edited:

BenoitV1984

Veteran
Nepal Annapurna #53 x Nepal Mist - #1

Still no clear confirmation for this one.

picture.php

Nepal Annapurna #53 x Nepal Mist - #2

picture.php

Took only 4 cracking soil out of 10 seeds sowed, but finally we have pistils showing :)

picture.php

picture.php

BenoitV1984

Veteran
Guess that removes all doubts regarding the other Nepal Annapurna #53 x Nepal Mist. At least that'll make some space to move Zacateca Tribute and Purple Satellite in there for sexing...

Anyway, since I have also Nepal Mist x Nepal Annapurna, I'm happy with just the one of that cross. Mother room is getting more and more extensive to allow for several strains phenotype. I rather like strains diversity than tons of phenotype, and I won't have to pick one keeper comes smoke test :p

picture.php

BenoitV1984

Veteran
Second week of flowering, starting to define bud site.

Nepal Mist x Nepal Annapurna stretched like crazy, I had to bend her over and over around and around below the net (like full 180 turn around for some branches). Nepal Annapurna x Nepal Mist is starting to catch up and I fear she is not done.

Kali China and Orient Express seem to settle a bit although I'm pretty sure the latter is not over.

picture.php

Kali China

picture.php

picture.php

Orient Express

picture.php

picture.php